#21 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 25 September 2014 - 09:04 AM

Wo! Denny sounds just like Dirty Harry therehttpss://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luwDmeQvH-g

#22 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54018 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 09:13 AM

I'm not gonna let some little snot-nosed punk leave MY cheese out in the wind.

Edited by KenLenard, 25 September 2014 - 09:13 AM.

#23 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 September 2014 - 10:08 AM

Skip the 40, just use 65.  If you use S04, I'll hunt you down.... ;)

what do you like S-04 in?

#24 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 25 September 2014 - 10:20 AM

what do you like S-04 in?

The trash....;)

#25 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 10:27 AM

The trash.... ;)

I know a few yeast that belong there but S-04 is not one, IMO, unless you do not care for English beer.  I think S-04 can work well in producing a nice bitter.

#26 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 10:28 AM

The trash.... ;)

:rolf:

I wouldnt find it so funny if may N=2 with it didn't suggest the same. 

I've never found dealing with smack packs and WL vials and starters to be a problem.

#27 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 10:39 AM

I've never found dealing with smack packs and WL vials and starters to be a problem.

I like dry because it gives me the ability to brew on the drop of a dime.  These days I do not seem to have the option to plan out brew days like I once did.

#28 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 25 September 2014 - 10:45 AM

I like dry because it gives me the ability to brew on the drop of a dime.  These days I do not seem to have the option to plan out brew days like I once did.

Word (as the kids say). I also like 04 :)

#29 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 September 2014 - 10:45 AM

takes a lot of planning for me.  my LHBS can be unpredictable on what liquid yeast he'll have and it's a lot cheaper to order online.  so then I have to plan way, way ahead to get the yeast and get a starter going before the brew day.

amen.  I think it works pretty well in stouts as well.  a lot of people really seem to like the foreign export we both made that used S-04.

#30 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 10:47 AM

Yeah I get that. Really the same here. My routine is to make a starter when I think I can get the brewing done in the next week or so. Then put it in the fridge until brew day. Usually works out fine.

#31 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:48 AM

I know a few yeast that belong there but S-04 is not one, IMO, unless you do not care for English beer.  I think S-04 can work well in producing a nice bitter.

I don't care for English beers...I know, I'm broken.  And even when I do like English beers, I don't care for the ones made with that yeast.  Too bready and estery for my tastes.

#32 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:52 AM

I don't care for English beers...I know, I'm broken.  And even when I do like English beers, I don't care for the ones made with that yeast.  Too bready and estery for my tastes.

I'm almost there with you on the estery part.  allllmmmooossst.  we'll see I guess.  I've got enough for about 10 gallons in my fridge.  tomorrow I'll use up one packet.  sometime in the next few months I might use the other.  I was thinking of rebrewing a stout similar to oen I've made in the past and doing another split yeast batch.  if I'm not convinced I like it in either of the upcoming beers I'll probably just avoid it.

#33 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54018 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 01:16 PM

OMG, Denny just broke my brain. Here I felt like such an oddball because I don't go for stouts, porters IIPAs and pretty much ALL Belgians. Now the guy who puts mushrooms in his beer says he doesn't like English beers!? ZOMG. The 'bready' thing I like in an English beer and 1028, 1099 and 1968 are great for it. But I have to say that I will make an English beer at a slightly lower temp (low 60s) to keep fruitness and esters down. I wonder if these S04 beers you've tried were fermented too warm. I like the bready & minerally character but I still like the overall beer to be CLEAN. Some of these (1098 comes to mind) can get very fruity, tart, estery if you're not careful. Cheers.

#34 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 25 September 2014 - 01:19 PM

Denny, I'm with you on the estery beers. No thanks. I made MLPA with an english yeast and I about choked because it was so estery (and I have good ferm temp control!). 

#35 Beerbecue

Beerbecue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationSierra foothills

Posted 26 September 2014 - 07:38 AM

Here is my Red Rocktober ale, with some Munich and a bit of chocolate for a warm color and flavor. ~6% and fermented with WLP001.

Posted Image

#36 Corbin

Corbin

Comptroller of Annoying-assed Threads That Go Too Freaking Long

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10669 posts
  • LocationSt. louis, Mo.

Posted 26 September 2014 - 07:39 AM

Here is my Red Rocktober ale, with some Munich and a bit of chocolate for a warm color and flavor. ~6% and fermented with WLP001.Posted Image

that looks delicious

#37 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 26 September 2014 - 08:04 AM

Here is my Red Rocktober ale, with some Munich and a bit of chocolate for a warm color and flavor. ~6% and fermented with WLP001.

Posted Image

Recipe?

#38 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 08:17 AM

Nice looking beer... welcome to the board.

#39 Beerbecue

Beerbecue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationSierra foothills

Posted 26 September 2014 - 08:41 AM

Recipe for 5.5 gals is:

11# two row

2# Munich

1# C40

3oz Choc.

1oz Belma 11.6AA 60

1oz Citra 10

1oz Cascade 10

1oz Citra 0 min

WLP001

#40 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 26 September 2014 - 08:50 AM

OMG, Denny just broke my brain. Here I felt like such an oddball because I don't go for stouts, porters IIPAs and pretty much ALL Belgians. Now the guy who puts mushrooms in his beer says he doesn't like English beers!? ZOMG. The 'bready' thing I like in an English beer and 1028, 1099 and 1968 are great for it. But I have to say that I will make an English beer at a slightly lower temp (low 60s) to keep fruitness and esters down. I wonder if these S04 beers you've tried were fermented too warm. I like the bready & minerally character but I still like the overall beer to be CLEAN. Some of these (1098 comes to mind) can get very fruity, tart, estery if you're not careful. Cheers.

Nope, I always fermented S04 at 63-65F.  And I've tried quite a few commercial British beers to arrive at that decision.  About the only one I really care for is Fuller's 1845.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users