#1 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14723 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:17 AM

I stopped brewing about five years ago. Now that we've moved into the new house, I'll have space to do it again. Also, now that fall is approaching, my summer job will be slowing down as well, and I might even have time to brew again.

I still have most of my old equipment. Most notably, I'm lacking a mash tun. FYI, I'm a batch sparger.

I had several cooler models with stainless braids in the past that worked well. Though honestly, I'm now a little leery of using a plastic that is not absolutely known for certain to be approved for use with liquids at mash temps.

I really liked the idea of this Mash Hawk that was out a few years ago, though I'm not certain if you can still purchase those.

So, then I guess that leaves a stainless pot. I'm okay with the design of that, but I don't plan on building a HERMS or RIMS, so I'm thinking maintaining temps on a pot out in the open using a burner would really not be a fun experience.

So, what's out there?

#2 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:28 AM

I don't do it but brew in a bag is really popular these days. Google BIAB.

#3 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14723 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:30 AM

Yeah, I've read all about that. I've long considered doing 2.5 gallon batches inside via BIAB. I even have a bag for it already - that may be a good way for me to start back.

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:33 AM

Yeah, I've read all about that. I've long considered doing 2.5 gallon batches inside via BIAB. I even have a bag for it already - that may be a good way for me to start back.

I'd do that to start and if you like it scale up.  what do you anticipate your typical batch size to be in the future though?  BIAB seems great for 5 gallons but for 10 gallons you need a large vessel and the bag of grain is going to be pretty heavy so you'd almost certainly need a means to lift it out of the kettle.

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:37 AM

Give it a try.  I have a full 3 vessel electric system and I have been playing around with 5g BIAB batches.  For average gravity beers it is really easy.

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:46 AM

Give it a try.  I have a full 3 vessel electric system and I have been playing around with 5g BIAB batches.  For average gravity beers it is really easy.

what size kettles do you have?  how close to full are they when you do BIAB brew days?

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:49 AM

what size kettles do you have?  how close to full are they when you do BIAB brew days?

15.5 gallon kettle.

for a 1.060 Amber ale I would need 8.5g of water in the brew pot to cover my grain absorption and boil off amount.

#8 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16638 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:58 AM

Howie, I BIAB. I got into all grain that way and it has worked very well for me. It's great for simplicity. I have an 11 gal. pot and do 6 gallon post boil batches. Works great up to ~1.074 (I haven't gone any higher but I'm sure it will work fine until the pot runs out of space) I have never done multi vessel brewing for a comparison. Let me know if you have any questions and hopefully I'll have an answer. 

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:05 AM

Howie, I BIAB. I got into all grain that way and it has worked very well for me. It's great for simplicity. I have an 11 gal. pot and do 6 gallon post boil batches. Works great up to ~1.074 (I haven't gone any higher but I'm sure it will work fine until the pot runs out of space) I have never done multi vessel brewing for a comparison. Let me know if you have any questions and hopefully I'll have an answer. 

that sounds about right on the volumes.  I def could not do BIAB in my 15 gallon kettle for 10 gallon batches.  For most of my 10 gallon batches I am typically over 14 gallons just on the water, nevermind the grain.  5 gallons would no problem though.

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:36 AM

I'd like to add that I'm not too concerned about plastic mash tuns.  People who know about such things seem to think it is of no concern at the temps we work with (<200F).

#11 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:44 AM

I'd like to add that I'm not too concerned about plastic mash tuns.  People who know about such things seem to think it is of no concern at the temps we work with (<200F).

Mash tuns are made of HDPE, AFAIK.  I have no worries about that.

#12 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:17 AM

Best cooler to use now days? I have a coleman extreme 70 qt, but it's showing it's age and I think it's cracked near where the spout came out. I'd like to get something with better insulation around the same size.

#13 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14723 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:34 AM

Mash tuns are made of HDPE, AFAIK.  I have no worries about that.

Igloo says their hard sided coolers have interior liners made of FDA Grade Polypropylene.

Is that still considered food grade at mash temps?

#14 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14723 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:38 AM

I'd do that to start and if you like it scale up.  what do you anticipate your typical batch size to be in the future though?  BIAB seems great for 5 gallons but for 10 gallons you need a large vessel and the bag of grain is going to be pretty heavy so you'd almost certainly need a means to lift it out of the kettle.

Yeah, I can see doing a couple of small BIAB batches to start back, but I can't see doing that longterm.

I'd eventually like to be doing 10 gallon batches, or maybe 8 gallon batches (if I choose to ferment in corny kegs again, I'd be doing 8-9 gallon batches and splitting between two cornies). I'd like to find a 10 gallon fermenter that would fit into my fermenting fridge, but that's another story altogether.

#15 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:53 AM

Best cooler to use now days? I have a coleman extreme 70 qt, but it's showing it's age and I think it's cracked near where the spout came out. I'd like to get something with better insulation around the same size.

I have the same cooler.  the walls are bulging out a little bit on the inside after at least a few years of use here.  I put 170ish F water into mine though so that may be a factor.  I wouldn't mind going to a SS option but really only for the long term durability.  Insulating seems like a bit of a pain though.

Igloo says their hard sided coolers have interior liners made of FDA Grade Polypropylene.

Is that still considered food grade at mash temps?

I believe it is - again based on what I have read.

Yeah, I can see doing a couple of small BIAB batches to start back, but I can't see doing that longterm.

I'd eventually like to be doing 10 gallon batches, or maybe 8 gallon batches (if I choose to ferment in corny kegs again, I'd be doing 8-9 gallon batches and splitting between two cornies). I'd like to find a 10 gallon fermenter that would fit into my fermenting fridge, but that's another story altogether.

well some people build a winch or pulley system to lift the giant bag out when doing 10 gallon BIAB batches.  it is a possibility, it just means the minimal equipment aspect of BIAB starts to go out the window.

#16 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:00 AM

That's the one I use.  I lose maybe 1-2F over the course of 90 min.  I can't imagine how much better the insulation could get!

#17 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:04 AM

If only money grew on trees

https://yeticoolers....ndra-75-cooler/

#18 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:05 AM

That's the one I use.  I lose maybe 1-2F over the course of 90 min.  I can't imagine how much better the insulation could get!

on my last batch I mashed really thin (2.5 qts/lb) so the cooler was almost all the way full.  at the start of the mash I was just a little over 153F.  I then threw a couple of blankets over the tun and went about my evening/night.  About 10-11 hours later it was still at 145F.  Not too bad I don't think.

#19 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:08 AM

Just did some research and there isn't a lot of info available.  The best I could find is that FDA Grade Polypropylene has a recycling code of 5.  Experts say that means it can be safely heated.

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:08 AM

If only money grew on trees

https://yeticoolers....ndra-75-cooler/

:lol:

it would feel blasphemous to hack that cooler up for homebrewing.  also at that price I feel like the inside should be made of SS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users