90 replies to this topic

#21 Murphy

Murphy

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:56 AM

bottling beer for my wedding (>200 bottles) was enough for me to never ever ever bottle again

#22 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112413 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:56 AM

eta - If I were starting over equipment-wise, I'd definitely put most of the budget towards a 15-gallon pot. 

Mine were, uhhh... about the price of some sabre saw blades.   Ahhh to be young and reckless again.  :D

#23 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 30 September 2014 - 09:13 AM

After you break a few carboys and lose a couple dozen gal. of beer, carboys lose their appeal.

#24 Tim the Enchanter

Tim the Enchanter

He Who Loves Pubic Flounces

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1648 posts
  • LocationClimbin' in your windows, snatchin your people up.

Posted 30 September 2014 - 09:20 AM

After you break a few carboys and lose a couple dozen gal. of beer, carboys lose their appeal.

What do you secondary in? Buckets?

#25 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9731 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 30 September 2014 - 09:27 AM

Secondary?  lol

If I do something that requires aging or secondary, it is in a keg.

I will also second the BIAB process.  Even if you dont end up going with it, it has come a long way and is worth investigating and understanding.

#26 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16520 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 30 September 2014 - 09:30 AM

I know you said the bottling thing was a given, but my advice to you would be to just get a basic kegging setup.  Nothing discourages a brewer faster than the daunting task of cleaning and sanitizing 50 bottles and dealing with the mess of bottle filling equipment.  Plus, if you keg, you don't have to worry about getting the priming exactly right, yeast viability after secondary, etc.  If you have to make the choice between the two, I would even say get the kegging stuff before you get the AG stuff, just so that you can be excited about the process without finding it boring.  Then rely on AG to give yourself more freedom, better taste, etc.  My 2c.

This is the biggest decision a brewer has to make when deciding which upgrade to do first. If it was me Id get the basic kegging equipment and a simple BIAB (brew in a bag) setup at the same time. The BIAB equipment is relatively cheap. This will allow you to jump into AG and kegging at the same time. Once things progress you can move away from the BIAB by adding additional AG equipment like a MT and a HLT. 

#27 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 09:31 AM

After 12# years of brewing I have yet to break one but in that time I have had at least 4 plastic fermenters crack.  I guess I am lucky with glass.

#28 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 30 September 2014 - 09:45 AM

IF I secondary (rarely) I use kegs or buckets.

I tried BIAB a few times, but it wasn't really workable for me for a 5 gal. batch of 1.060+.  If you're brewing small batches in your kitchen, it's a very viable solution.

#29 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16641 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:46 AM

IF I secondary (rarely) I use kegs or buckets.I tried BIAB a few times, but it wasn't really workable for me for a 5 gal. batch of 1.060+. If you're brewing small batches in your kitchen, it's a very viable solution.

To fair Denny didnt you try holding the bag with your hands while it drained?That wont work. BIAB is very easy to do at least up to 6 gallons IME and probably more if you have the right size equipment. It does require one thing... you need overhead support for bag while it drains. This is as simple as putting an eye bolt into an overhead joist or rafter and using a $7 ratchet pulley to lift and hold it. Many of us brew in basements, garages, and under decks where this works best. Heck if you are in a garage just hook it to your garage door track.

#30 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:51 AM

To fair Denny didnt you try holding the bag with your hands while it drained?That wont work.BIAB is very easy to do at least up to 6 gallons IME and probably more if you have the right size equipment. It does require one thing... you need overhead support for bag while it drains. This is as simple as putting an eye bolt into an overhead joist or rafter and using a $7 ratchet pulley to lift and hold it. Many of us brew in basements, garages, and under decks where this works best. Heck if you are in a garage just hook it to your garage door track.

how about a couple of peices of clean wood or metal on top of the kettle and just set the bag on them so it drains into the kettle?  maybe the "squeezing" from holding it up by the top is important.

#31 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 12:02 PM

how about a couple of peices of clean wood or metal on top of the kettle and just set the bag on them so it drains into the kettle?  maybe the "squeezing" from holding it up by the top is important.

Posted Image

#32 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 September 2014 - 12:06 PM

Posted Image

or whatever the hell that thing is.  a giant colander?

#33 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 12:15 PM

or whatever the hell that thing is.  a giant colander?

It looks like a Polder 6631-75 Stainless-Steel Sink Strainer with Extending Rubber-Grip Arms but I could be wrong :P

#34 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16641 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 12:24 PM

That strainer will work too. I would think the wood support would be a mess with wort running all over the place.

#35 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 September 2014 - 12:38 PM

It looks like a Polder 6631-75 Stainless-Steel Sink Strainer with Extending Rubber-Grip Arms but I could be wrong :P

move that burner away from your house!

#36 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 12:40 PM

move that burner away from your house!

not my picture just on google image search.  Lets not forget I am all electric and my pot is SS not AL. 

#37 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 September 2014 - 12:41 PM

not my picture just on google image search.  Lets not forget I am all electric and my pot is SS not AL. 

how can you tell what that pot is made of?  I think you might be part dwarf.

#38 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 12:44 PM

how can you tell what that pot is made of?  I think you might be part dwarf.

I guess I assumed by the looks that it was a spun AL pot.  Like the kind you get standard on my turkey fryers.

#39 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 September 2014 - 12:46 PM

I guess I assumed by the looks that it was a spun AL pot.  Like the kind you get standard on my turkey fryers.

very well could be.

#40 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47958 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 30 September 2014 - 01:49 PM

So is this BIAB no-sparge?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users