#1 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 03 October 2014 - 08:41 AM

I just picked up a new dual stage controller to replace a single stage Ranco.  So far, I really like it and the price is definitely right!  Also seems to have more features than the Ranco...https://www.auberins...products_id=334

Posted Image

#2 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 03 October 2014 - 09:00 AM

Nice!  I didn't realize they made them to run both a heater and a cooler.  

#3 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 03 October 2014 - 09:29 AM

Nice!  I didn't realize they made them to run both a heater and a cooler.  

Yep.  I use a reptile tank heater bulb for heating.

#4 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 03 October 2014 - 09:42 AM

Priced right too!

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 10:05 AM

If you do not mine a bit of DIY work you can build one using a STC-1000 and some parts laying around the house ( at least my house) for much cheaper.  Yes, you will need to have a cheat sheet to convert the temperature to fahrenheit.

#6 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 10:20 AM

If you do not mine a bit of DIY work you can build one using a STC-1000 and some parts laying around the house ( at least my house) for much cheaper.  Yes, you will need to have a cheat sheet to convert the temperature to fahrenheit.

I was reluctant to do the STC for a while. Finally did it. It was extremely easy. Probably going to make a second one for hot-boxing my skis.

This does look like a nice unit if you really don't want to DIY though.

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 10:30 AM

I was reluctant to do the STC for a while. Finally did it. It was extremely easy. Probably going to make a second one for hot-boxing my skis.

This does look like a nice unit if you really don't want to DIY though.

hubba .. what????

#8 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 10:50 AM

If you want to be fast on skis you need to treat your skis right. Get 'em some time with a sweet hot box.

Insluated box with light bulbs or space heater to maintain 125-140F or so. Wax your skis then bake them in it for several hours to get the wax deep into the base. But the temp must be controlled so you don't melt your skis.

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 10:51 AM

If you want to be fast on skis you need to treat your skis right. Get 'em some time with a sweet hot box.

Insluated box with light bulbs or space heater to maintain 125-140F or so. Wax your skis then bake them in it for several hours to get the wax deep into the base. But the temp must be controlled so you don't melt your skis.

learn something new every day.

#10 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 03 October 2014 - 10:54 AM

I've built 4 STCs for ~$35 each. Tape a Canadian to 'Murican temp chart on the top of the box. Love my STCs. Denny's option looks good if you don't have an hour to spend or don't like building stuff.

#11 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 03 October 2014 - 10:58 AM

I've built 4 STCs for ~$35 each. Tape a Canadian to 'Murican temp chart on the top of the box. Love my STCs. Denny's option looks good if you don't have an hour to spend or don't like building stuff.

I was an electronics tech for nearly 50 years.  I know that putting together an STC would have been simple and I seriously considered it, but I just hate doing that stuff any more.  I have better ways to spend my time, so a little extra $$ was worth it to me.  I know that for a lot of other people building equipment is one of their favorite parts of brewing.

#12 Beerbecue

Beerbecue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationSierra foothills

Posted 03 October 2014 - 03:42 PM

I want to know more about the heater bulbs so I can still use my garage ferm fridge in the cool months.

#13 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 03 October 2014 - 03:48 PM

I want to know more about the heater bulbs so I can still use my garage ferm fridge in the cool months.

They emit heat but not light.Posted Imagehttps://www.amazon.c...ptile heat bulb

#14 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 03 October 2014 - 05:07 PM

I was an electronics tech for nearly 50 years.  I know that putting together an STC would have been simple and I seriously considered it, but I just hate doing that stuff any more.  I have better ways to spend my time, so a little extra $$ was worth it to me.  I know that for a lot of other people building equipment is one of their favorite parts of brewing.

I have all the parts to put one together, just gotta get round to it

#15 bigdaddyale

bigdaddyale

Linkbot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9528 posts
  • LocationCurrent: New Homoco, Texas. Past : Lugner Island

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:12 PM

Matt over at HBT rewrote the program for the STC1000. You can down load it in Fahrenheit plus it has 5 different fermeting programs you can customize.https://www.homebrew...-1000-a-464348/

#16 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 03 October 2014 - 09:34 PM

This is just the thread I needed. I about started one asking about the different options for dual stage controllers. I like that heater bulb thing, that's perfect.

#17 Beerbecue

Beerbecue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationSierra foothills

Posted 03 October 2014 - 10:12 PM

They emit heat but not light.Posted Imagehttps://www.amazon.c...ptile heat bulb

Very cool. I did not know about those. What kind of fixture might I use in my mini apt fridge fermcab for that bulb?

#18 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 October 2014 - 06:42 AM

Matt over at HBT rewrote the program for the STC1000. You can down load it in Fahrenheit plus it has 5 different fermeting programs you can customize.https://www.homebrew...-1000-a-464348/

that sounds neat but I'd be pretty pissed if I flashed that thing and then I didn't like the way it worked since it's a one way ticket.

eta:  it would be nice to see the stuff he did in action.  it's not exactly clear how his features work just from that short description in the OP and I'm not combing through that whole thread!

Edited by Evil_Morty, 04 October 2014 - 06:54 AM.

#19 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 04 October 2014 - 12:37 PM

This is just the thread I needed. I about started one asking about the different options for dual stage controllers. I like that heater bulb thing, that's perfect.

mainelly has a nice one for sale in the classifieds

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 October 2014 - 02:44 PM

I use a small ceramic space heater.  What's nice about it is that it has a built in fan so that it does a nice job circulating the heat.  it also has a safety switch built in so it's unlikely that you are going to cause a fire or something with it.

I don't think I paid this much for it but it's one of these:  https://www.walmart....8936552&veh=sem

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users