#21 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 04 October 2014 - 03:43 PM

Very cool. I did not know about those. What kind of fixture might I use in my mini apt fridge fermcab for that bulb?

Someone correct me if Im wrong but I think those use a standard light bulb socket. Some people use those b/c they worry about light striking their beer with a regular bulb. I use a night light on the end of an extension cord for heat. No problems with a semi-opaque bucket.

#22 bigdaddyale

bigdaddyale

Linkbot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9528 posts
  • LocationCurrent: New Homoco, Texas. Past : Lugner Island

Posted 04 October 2014 - 03:57 PM

that sounds neat but I'd be pretty pissed if I flashed that thing and then I didn't like the way it worked since it's a one way ticket. eta:  it would be nice to see the stuff he did in action.  it's not exactly clear how his features work just from that short description in the OP and I'm not combing through that whole thread!

No pain No gain.The flashed stc1000 still works as before.You can flash a Fahrenheit or Celsius version. Lot's of success stories over at HBT.The zinger in this project is getting the correct version stc1000. You need ver 1.0. because of the popularity of the flashed controller people are starting to hoard them.

#23 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 08:38 PM

No pain No gain.The flashed stc1000 still works as before.You can flash a Fahrenheit or Celsius version. Lot's of success stories over at HBT.The zinger in this project is getting the correct version stc1000. You need ver 1.0. because of the popularity of the flashed controller people are starting to hoard them.

Seems like way too much work considering the ease with which one can make a Fahenheit to Celsius conversion in this day and age. If unit conversion is an issue for you I'd be iffy about how flashing an $18 temp controller is going to work out.

#24 bigdaddyale

bigdaddyale

Linkbot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9528 posts
  • LocationCurrent: New Homoco, Texas. Past : Lugner Island

Posted 04 October 2014 - 08:58 PM

Seems like way too much work considering the ease with which one can make a Fahenheit to Celsius conversion in this day and age. If unit conversion is an issue for you I'd be iffy about how flashing an $18 temp controller is going to work out.

Dude where is that coming from? I can read a chart with out any problem. I can also use a soldering iron.I bet your iffy about a lot of things. It's not magnets

#25 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 October 2014 - 03:40 AM

it also adds temp profile stuff I guess.  it is easy to convert but it's nicer to not have to.

#26 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9729 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 06 October 2014 - 11:35 AM

That looks pretty nice.  One thing I was wondering was if it has short-cycle protection.  I dont think that is a deal killer, but it is nice to have.

#27 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 06 October 2014 - 11:58 AM

That looks pretty nice.  One thing I was wondering was if it has short-cycle protection.  I dont think that is a deal killer, but it is nice to have.

Yeah, it does.  My Ranco didn't.  Also has an alarm (LOUD!) for going over or under temps.  Fortunately, you can set it to a very wide range!  Manual here....https://auberins.com...anual/TD100.pdf

Edited by denny, 06 October 2014 - 12:00 PM.

#28 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9729 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:02 PM

Nice.  That's pretty hard to beat then.

Hmmm temp range goes to 257F as well.  Could be used for slow and low smoking.  To bad I just bought a controller for that.

#29 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:59 PM

Dude where is that coming from? I can read a chart with out any problem. I can also use a soldering iron.I bet your iffy about a lot of things. It's not magnets

BDA, all applogies. Didnt mean anything personal. I dont know what I meant at all. A few nights ago my wife and I were out and I had only 3-1/2 beers over about a 6 hr. timespan. However I was completely shitfaced. Couldnt figure out why and dont even remember the last hour or two of that night. It looks like my post was probably made during that time. My kid later reminded me how he hit me in the head with his knee while jumping the pool earlier that day. Our guess is that I had a bit of a concussion and that explained the "enhanced" drunkeness and deuchey tone to my comment, not to mention a headache and hangover from 3-1/2 beers. Sorry man.

#30 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 October 2014 - 01:10 PM

BDA, all applogies. Didnt mean anything personal. I dont know what I meant at all. A few nights ago my wife and I were out and I had only 3-1/2 beers over about a 6 hr. timespan. However I was completely shitfaced. Couldnt figure out why and dont even remember the last hour or two of that night. It looks like my post was probably made during that time. My kid later reminded me how he hit me in the head with his knee while jumping the pool earlier that day. Our guess is that I had a bit of a concussion and that explained the "enhanced" drunkeness and deuchey tone to my comment, not to mention a headache and hangover from 3-1/2 beers. Sorry man.

hope you are alright.  that post did seem a bit out of character for you.  get that head checked out!

#31 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:13 PM

hope you are alright. that post did seem a bit out of character for you. get that head checked out!

Thanks. Pretty sure I am fine. Its pretty rare for me to get faced these days so it was really kind of weird to suddenly feel out of control. Not pleasant, especially the day after.

#32 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 16 October 2014 - 03:11 PM

I just picked up a new dual stage controller to replace a single stage Ranco.  So far, I really like it and the price is definitely right!  Also seems to have more features than the Ranco...https://www.auberins...products_id=334

Posted Image

Just put my order in for one of these. I guess I'll be attaching the probe to the side of the fermenter now that most seem to do around here. I currently use a old Johnson controller that has a waterproof probe that I have just kept in a tub of water.

#33 brewman

brewman

Canyon Chin King of Chicago

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts
  • LocationFlorida Everglades

Posted 17 October 2014 - 05:04 AM

What are you guys talking about when you say you have to build stuff using an STC-1000

#34 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 October 2014 - 05:13 AM

What are you guys talking about when you say you have to build stuff using an STC-1000

you have to wire the controller up to plug anything into it.  example:

Posted Image

Edited by Evil_Morty, 17 October 2014 - 05:14 AM.

#35 brewman

brewman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 05:33 AM

I have 4 of them and don't consider any of this as work.

#36 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 October 2014 - 05:35 AM

but you had to build something right?

#37 brewman

brewman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 05:58 AM

I built this.

httpss://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/v/t1.0-9/555404_377431548979873_526639743_n.jpg?oh=20fe9ab2d7637a8262328813f35dce66&oe=54B104C0

#38 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 October 2014 - 06:00 AM

I built this.

httpss://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/v/t1.0-9/555404_377431548979873_526639743_n.jpg?oh=20fe9ab2d7637a8262328813f35dce66&oe=54B104C0

that is one of the few photo hosts I can't view at work (even if I tell the firewall I really, really want to).

#39 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:10 AM

Well if you would mount it in a box with outlets and such to make it look nice you would then have to build something.

that is one of the few photo hosts I can't view at work (even if I tell the firewall I really, really want to).

It's a pic of his ferm chamber.

#40 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:13 AM

Well if you would mount it in a box with outlets and such to make it look nice you would then have to build something.It's a pic of his ferm chamber.

I did this simply so it was safer and so I could use the controller with different devices other than my chest freezer and space heater.  I also have 2 outlets per side so that way I can plug in a fan along with the freezer so that way the fan can circulate air in the freezer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users