#1 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:10 PM

I think I like this yeast pretty well.  I'm not so sure it's really equivalent to 1056 though.  It seems a little more tart or something to me.  Maybe I'm off.  Maybe it's been a while since I've used 1056.  What say you people?

#2 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:14 PM

I like it. It's clean at any temp I've used it at. It ferments out in a few days. I haven't done a side by side with 05/1056/001. But I haven't had a desire to since 05 is cheaper and I'm happy with the results.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:16 PM

I like it and I use it often as you know.  I do not think it is the same as 1056 or wlp001.  For that matter I do not think that 1056 is the same as wlp001.  I think they all create a somewhat different final product.  I have never got a tart taste out of it though.

#4 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:16 PM

I like it. It's clean at any temp I've used it at. It ferments out in a few days. I haven't done a side by side with 05/1056/001. But I haven't had a desire to since 05 is cheaper and I'm happy with the results.

Pretty much this.  I've never had an issue with it.  It is, for the time being, affordable to use and consistent in getting started.

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:18 PM

I like it and I use it often as you know.  I do not think it is the same as 1056 or wlp001.  For that matter I do not think that 1056 is the same as wlp001.  I think they all create a somewhat different final product.  I have never got a tart taste out of it though.

maybe it's not tart.  it's not really dryness either.  something kind of sharp though.  I recognize the taste/aroma in my currently brewed beer and one that I brewed a while back with very different ingredients.

eta:  I can kind of rule out ingredients b/c that pale ale I just made as a split batch provides a "control" with my S-04 batch of it.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 06 October 2014 - 12:21 PM.

#6 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:27 PM

Nothing but happy thoughts

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:29 PM

don't get me wrong - I still like this yeast.  I don't however think it is as neutral as it's sold as.  I think it has it's own distinct and noticeable taste profile.  I just wish I could more effectively describe it.

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:43 PM

don't get me wrong - I still like this yeast.  I don't however think it is as neutral as it's sold as.  I think it has it's own distinct and noticeable taste profile.  I just wish I could more effectively describe it.

No doubt it does.  Apricot or peach is thrown around a lot for an off flavor.  I have either got used to it or have worked my recipes so they work with it.  I also think some of the "new" dry yeast out there are a bit better than S-05.  In particular I liked BRY-97.

#9 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9731 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:44 PM

Kill it with fire.

I wont use it again.

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:48 PM

Kill it with fire.

I wont use it again.

damn!  what happened!?

No doubt it does.  Apricot or peach is thrown around a lot for an off flavor.  I have either got used to it or have worked my recipes so they work with it.  I also think some of the "new" dry yeast out there are a bit better than S-05.  In particular I liked BRY-97.

I need to remember to check for that - do most homebrew shops seem to carry it now?

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:49 PM

Kill it with fire.

I wont use it again.

yeah, spill it.  I could understand that reaction for 1450 but not S-05. :)

#12 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:50 PM

yeah, spill it.  I could understand that reaction for 1450 but not S-05. :)

:lol:  is that just based on your bad experiences with it?  It's been said before but I really enjoy 1450.

#13 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:55 PM

I think it's a fine utilitarian yeast.

#14 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:59 PM

I think it's a fine utilitarian yeast.

Would +1 this.

I think that explains it. Not sexy, but does the job that needs to be done.

#15 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 October 2014 - 01:00 PM

so drez - have you found the bry-97 to knock down hop flavor?  i'm doing a bit of reading on HBT.

#16 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 01:09 PM

Posted ImageOkay kidding. If you ferment it too cool, you'll get a peachy-apricot flavor. Also, it's a high attenuater so consider that when you choose your mash temp.

#17 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 October 2014 - 01:11 PM

Posted ImageOkay kidding. If you ferment it too cool, you'll get a peachy-apricot flavor. Also, it's a high attenuater so consider that when you choose your mash temp.

how cool is too cool though?

#18 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9731 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 06 October 2014 - 01:19 PM

damn!  what happened!?

I have made two batches of cream ale with it that had so much apricot flavor in them, that I had several people (seriously) tell me that I should enter them in a comp as a fruit beer.  They weren't horrible, quite drinkable actually, but the fuity off flavor was very very apparent and not what I wanted.

I dont remember right off what the fermentation temp was, but It was probably 66-68F.

#19 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16517 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 06 October 2014 - 01:21 PM

It can throw diacetyl. Don't rack it to early and probably should proof it to reduce that chance. I keep a pack around for ER purposes but it goes out of date before it gets used. 1056, 1272, and 001 are much better and I get like the results using those. 

Edited by BlKtRe, 06 October 2014 - 01:22 PM.

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 October 2014 - 02:52 PM

It can throw diacetyl. Don't rack it to early and probably should proof it to reduce that chance. I keep a pack around for ER purposes but it goes out of date before it gets used. 1056, 1272, and 001 are much better and I get like the results using those. 

that's surprising given how low-floccing it is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users