79 replies to this topic

#21 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:16 PM

so drez - have you found the bry-97 to knock down hop flavor? i'm doing a bit of reading on HBT.

I had more hop aroma with it strangely.

#22 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:19 PM

:lol: is that just based on your bad experiences with it? It's been said before but I really enjoy 1450.

Yes, that yeast has never worked for me. It must be operator error.

#23 deejaydan

deejaydan

Comptroller of Spooning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2314 posts
  • LocationFennville, MI

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:22 PM

I think it goes dryer than 1056.  No evidence, no true side by side, but just off of memory of other batches.  Pretty clean other than that, if you ask me.

#24 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16516 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:36 PM

that's surprising given how low-floccing it is.

Plenty of google hits talking about the same thing. 

#25 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53972 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:49 PM

how cool is too cool though?

Low 60s.

#26 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49859 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 06 October 2014 - 04:05 PM

I use it at the brewery from time to time and it is the only yeast I use at the still.  I like it.  You do get that peachy apricot thing.  I don't mind it though.  Nice backdrop for the hops in the beer, interesting but not in the way in the whiskey.  I ferment the whiskey at 78-79 F and it is ready to be stripped in 5-6 days, so it is a workhorse.  

#27 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 October 2014 - 05:33 AM

I had more hop aroma with it strangely.

do you think that it would be a good candidate for your Chinook-citra pale ale?  I could do another split batch.

Yes, that yeast has never worked for me. It must be operator error.

I know you tried the waldo lake amber I made with it.  You've probably had the RIPA as well.  Did you find a problem with it in those beers?  Hopefully they weren't too flawed by my own doing for you to tell.

Plenty of google hits talking about the same thing. 

I trust this board but I rarely trust HBT and other brewing sites.  Way too much chaff to tell the good info from the bad.  Have you experienced a lot of D with this yeast?  Has anyone else around here?  On my last beer I started cold crashing the yeast after 6+ days.  As far as I can tell there is no D in this beer.

I use it at the brewery from time to time and it is the only yeast I use at the still.  I like it.  You do get that peachy apricot thing.  I don't mind it though.  Nice backdrop for the hops in the beer, interesting but not in the way in the whiskey.  I ferment the whiskey at 78-79 F and it is ready to be stripped in 5-6 days, so it is a workhorse.  

Maybe the apricot is what I'm getting but I'm just not perceiving it as such...

#28 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 06:05 AM

do you think that it would be a good candidate for your Chinook-citra pale ale?  I could do another split batch.

Yes, I think it would work well.  I had to look back in my notes but for Holiday Hug it was a split between S-o5 and M-44.  I used the BRY-97 on a Simcoe APA that was very good.  I would give the BRY-97 a try.  I will be honest and say I just poured it in and did not re-hydrate, it is a slow starter though.

I know you tried the waldo lake amber I made with it.  You've probably had the RIPA as well.  Did you find a problem with it in those beers?  Hopefully they weren't too flawed by my own doing for you to tell.

No, those beers were just fine.  My issue is I can never got 1450 to attenuate where it should, no matter what I did it would finish high.  I have no idea why that is the case but it is.  My store even stopped carrying that yeast unless you special order it because of complaints.  Now they do not even carry wyeast and that is an issue because I would like to get 1272 local.

#29 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 October 2014 - 06:50 AM

I've used 1450 a bunch of times.  I always make a good sized starter and pump in pure O2 when I've used it.  I would guess you probably have done the same though.  In general it's attenuated how I would expect given the conditions.

#30 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 06:54 AM

I've used 1450 a bunch of times.  I always make a good sized starter and pump in pure O2 when I've used it.  I would guess you probably have done the same though.  In general it's attenuated how I would expect given the conditions.

Yup, same.  I have just moved on to what works for me. 

#31 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 October 2014 - 06:56 AM

Yup, same.  I have just moved on to what works for me. 

I enjoy it but there are a lot of other great yeasts out there as well.

#32 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 07 October 2014 - 09:28 AM

I think I like this yeast pretty well.  I'm not so sure it's really equivalent to 1056 though.  It seems a little more tart or something to me.  Maybe I'm off.  Maybe it's been a while since I've used 1056.  What say you people?

I can guarantee you that it started life as 1056.  However, there are changes that happened when it was dried.  I get a peachiness out of it that has made me go back to using 1056.

Posted ImageOkay kidding. If you ferment it too cool, you'll get a peachy-apricot flavor. Also, it's a high attenuater so consider that when you choose your mash temp.

I haven't found it to attenuate more than 1056, but it does leave the beers thinner in mouthfeel.

I think it goes dryer than 1056.  No evidence, no true side by side, but just off of memory of other batches.  Pretty clean other than that, if you ask me.

I have done the split batch side by side and I agree with you.

#33 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 07 October 2014 - 09:31 AM

I don't use O2, just a MixStir.  I regularly get around 76% attenuation on the first gen and usually higher on subsequent gens.  I use a 2-3 qt. starter for beers in the 1.060-75 range.

#34 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 October 2014 - 10:21 AM

I can guarantee you that it started life as 1056.  However, there are changes that happened when it was dried.  I get a peachiness out of it that has made me go back to using 1056. 

I have done the split batch side by side and I agree with you.

it seems like you have opposing statements here.  you say it's peachy but then you say you agree with someone saying it's clean :unsure:

Also for those that are interested I found a nice comparison done by rebel brewer between 001, US-05, BRY-97 and M44.

https://www.rebelbre...erican-session/

#35 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 10:32 AM

it seems like you have opposing statements here.  you say it's peachy but then you say you agree with someone saying it's clean :unsure:

Also for those that are interested I found a nice comparison done by rebel brewer between 001, US-05, BRY-97 and M44.

https://www.rebelbre...erican-session/

I saw that a long time ago and that they chose M44.  At that point I realized my tastes and theirs were different because M44 would be my least favorite out that of that group. 

again, to each their own though.  That is why they have some many strains :)

Edited by drez77, 07 October 2014 - 10:33 AM.

#36 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 October 2014 - 10:34 AM

I saw that a long time ago and that they chose M44.  At that point I realized my tastes and theirs were different because M44 would be my least favorite out that of that group. 

again, to each their own though.  That is why they have some many strains :)

that's really the problem though isn't it.  you just have to try them and decide for yourself!

#37 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 10:41 AM

that's really the problem though isn't it.  you just have to try them and decide for yourself!

Yes.

You tried the M44 beer .. you just do not remember it :D

#38 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 October 2014 - 10:43 AM

Yes.

You tried the M44 beer .. you just do not remember it :D

:rolf:

I really freakin' blew it that day.  Next time we do this I need to relax and focus.  I got too excited with all of that homebrew around!

#39 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 10:45 AM

:rolf:

I really freakin' blew it that day.  Next time we do this I need to relax and focus.  I got too excited with all of that homebrew around!

I think I brought too much beer!

#40 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 October 2014 - 10:51 AM

I think I brought too much beer!

I still have one bottle of stout (commercial) in my fridge.  I keep forgetting to drink it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users