#41 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 07 October 2014 - 11:03 AM

it seems like you have opposing statements here.  you say it's peachy but then you say you agree with someone saying it's clean :unsure:

Also for those that are interested I found a nice comparison done by rebel brewer between 001, US-05, BRY-97 and M44.

https://www.rebelbre...erican-session/

Meant 1056 is clean.

#42 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 October 2014 - 11:08 AM

Meant 1056 is clean.

my past experience agrees there.  I'm about to produce another 10 gallons of US-05 beer on Friday.  we shall see how it all pans out.  perhaps when I get around to making some noti brown ale I'll be back to using 1056.

#43 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 12:26 PM

I think the last beer I used US05 in was a blonde ale of sorts. I fermented it relatively cool and got a good, vigorous fermentation out of it.  The beer went through the same assembly line process as the rest... primary, secondary with gel sitting on the basement floor, then to a keg to get chilled and force-carbed.  The peachy-apricot character was surprisingly noticeable.  I don't know if this was a result of fermenting cool or not cool enough but I would typically ferment ales low... 60 to maybe 63 or so.  After I had a couple, the flavor was less noticeable but if you went from another to the blonde, wow, peachy-apricot.  Or if the blonde was the first beer of the day... wow!  Fruity.  I'm flying by the seat of my pants at the moment because I have one packet of dry yeast in the house at the moment and it's 34/70 from 2012.  So if I made a pale ale and the ale yeast I planned to use was bad for some season, I would be making a lager with it instead.  Last time it happened with an English Ale and my 1028 or 1968 was bad.  English Lager instead!  :D

Edited by KenLenard, 07 October 2014 - 12:26 PM.

#44 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 October 2014 - 12:52 PM

I think the last beer I used US05 in was a blonde ale of sorts. I fermented it relatively cool and got a good, vigorous fermentation out of it.  The beer went through the same assembly line process as the rest... primary, secondary with gel sitting on the basement floor, then to a keg to get chilled and force-carbed.  The peachy-apricot character was surprisingly noticeable.  I don't know if this was a result of fermenting cool or not cool enough but I would typically ferment ales low... 60 to maybe 63 or so.  After I had a couple, the flavor was less noticeable but if you went from another to the blonde, wow, peachy-apricot.  Or if the blonde was the first beer of the day... wow!  Fruity.  I'm flying by the seat of my pants at the moment because I have one packet of dry yeast in the house at the moment and it's 34/70 from 2012.  So if I made a pale ale and the ale yeast I planned to use was bad for some season, I would be making a lager with it instead.  Last time it happened with an English Ale and my 1028 or 1968 was bad.  English Lager instead!  :D

I think in the right beer peachy/apricot would go well with the hops.

#45 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 12:56 PM

I think in the right beer peachy/apricot would go well with the hops.

I think that is why I do not mind it because it works well with the hops I chose. 

Although teh blonde/wheat beer I did with 05 and nelson did not have any of the apricot/peach that I could pickup. 

FTR I start mine off at 62

#46 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:10 PM

I think that is why I do not mind it because it works well with the hops I chose. 

Although teh blonde/wheat beer I did with 05 and nelson did not have any of the apricot/peach that I could pickup. 

FTR I start mine off at 62

I'm guessing it would go great with citra or other fruity hops.

#47 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:33 PM

I'm guessing it would go great with citra or other fruity hops.

Yes.. that is what i want to hear.

I am going to with Plan B for tomorrow's brew day...Citra Pale ale/ gluten free . Spent $80 at the LHBS on Sunday and forgot the yeast . :facepalm:

#48 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:37 PM

Yes.. that is what i want to hear.

I am going to with Plan B for tomorrow's brew day...Citra Pale ale/ gluten free . Spent $80 at the LHBS on Sunday and forgot the yeast . :facepalm:

don't trust me!  I haven't used it with many new hops yet!  :lol:

#49 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:40 PM

Yes.. that is what i want to hear.I am going to with Plan B for tomorrow's brew day...Citra Pale ale/ gluten free . Spent $80 at the LHBS on Sunday and forgot the yeast . :facepalm:

You'll be fine.

#50 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:42 PM

You'll be fine.

beer will be made!

#51 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 03:34 PM

beer will be made!

Good beer!

#52 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 07:49 PM

I've used 1450 a bunch of times. I always make a good sized starter and pump in pure O2 when I've used it. I would guess you probably have done the same though. In general it's attenuated how I would expect given the conditions.

Ive made a few very nice beers with 1450. I also like the mouthfeel that yeast gives. Low flocculation is the only bad thing I can say about it. It really lets hops shine through nicely IMO.

#53 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16517 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:58 AM

I trust this board but I rarely trust HBT and other brewing sites.  Way too much chaff to tell the good info from the bad.  Have you experienced a lot of D with this yeast?  Has anyone else around here?  On my last beer I started cold crashing the yeast after 6+ days.  As far as I can tell there is no D in this beer.

I also trust those here the most when it comes to technical brewing topics. I also trust my own skills too. So when I see others having D issues with this yeast it makes me feel like its not just me or something I might be doing wrong. With that said, for me the strain is to inconsistent in regards to flavors when other liquid yeast there is never an issue.

Edited by BlKtRe, 08 October 2014 - 05:59 AM.

#54 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:12 AM

I also trust those here the most when it comes to technical brewing topics. I also trust my own skills too. So when I see others having D issues with this yeast it makes me feel like its not just me or something I might be doing wrong. With that said, for me the strain is to inconsistent in regards to flavors when other liquid yeast there is never an issue.

last two beers I've made with it have been consistent.  same yeast profile in both despite being fairly different recipes in terms of malt/hops.  we'll see how the next beer with it turns out I guess.

#55 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16517 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:24 AM

last two beers I've made with it have been consistent.  same yeast profile in both despite being fairly different recipes in terms of malt/hops.  we'll see how the next beer with it turns out I guess.

If it works for you go for it and enjoy. I really don't have a need for it. 

#56 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:01 AM

If it works for you go for it and enjoy. I really don't have a need for it. 

I'm guessing I would prefer 1056 in a lot of situations.  the problem is that using dry allows me to brew more often.  and the liquid + DME costs more in terms of time/money.

#57 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16517 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:23 AM

I'm guessing I would prefer 1056 in a lot of situations.  the problem is that using dry allows me to brew more often.  and the liquid + DME costs more in terms of time/money.

I can see how the DME would add to the cost to make your starters. Otherwise its getting to the point where cost for dry vs liquid is the same. Luckily for me I can buy bulk 55# bags of DME and split it with other homebrewers for pennies on the dollar. Liquid also offers more varieties and is more consistent in terms of flavor imo. I'm also still not hooked on cultivating dry yeast cakes even though brewers have had decent luck doing it. Its just a preference thing. 

#58 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:31 AM

I can see how the DME would add to the cost to make your starters. Otherwise its getting to the point where cost for dry vs liquid is the same. Luckily for me I can buy bulk 55# bags of DME and split it with other homebrewers for pennies on the dollar. Liquid also offers more varieties and is more consistent in terms of flavor imo. I'm also still not hooked on cultivating dry yeast cakes even though brewers have had decent luck doing it. Its just a preference thing. 

I pay $3.50 for US-05.  1056 is more like $6-8 depending on where I buy it.  now for 10 gallons I'd need to packs of US-05 so yeah - now it's just down to the cost of the DME to make the starter.  if I could actually plan to brew a couple of times in a month I could save some yeast and reuse it (I would not do this with dry yeast).  so now the cost is getting closer.  but then there is the time to make the starter, clean stuff up, etc.  as it is now I already kind of spread my brew day out over multiple days.  for instance - this is how my brew day this week is shaping up:

Tuesday Night: take out and/or clean equipment, make sure fermenters are clean, etc.

Wednesday Night: measure out grain and water

Thursday Night: Mash in, measure hops out for following day

Friday Morning: continue and finish brew day by late morning

If I were to add in making a starter I'd probably have to do that Sunday or Monday night.  I don't mind it but with the family and other responsibilities it makes my life just that much easier and allows me to brew.

#59 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16517 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:41 AM

I pay $3.50 for US-05.  1056 is more like $6-8 depending on where I buy it.  now for 10 gallons I'd need to packs of US-05 so yeah - now it's just down to the cost of the DME to make the starter.  if I could actually plan to brew a couple of times in a month I could save some yeast and reuse it (I would not do this with dry yeast).  so now the cost is getting closer.  but then there is the time to make the starter, clean stuff up, etc.  as it is now I already kind of spread my brew day out over multiple days.  for instance - this is how my brew day this week is shaping up:

Tuesday Night: take out and/or clean equipment, make sure fermenters are clean, etc.

Wednesday Night: measure out grain and water

Thursday Night: Mash in, measure hops out for following day

Friday Morning: continue and finish brew day by late morning

If I were to add in making a starter I'd probably have to do that Sunday or Monday night.  I don't mind it but with the family and other responsibilities it makes my life just that much easier and allows me to brew.

That's the key and I get it. My kids are out of the house and my wife has a job so I can make time during the week to get things done without family issues. 

Another way I save money is JMcG has a yeast bank consisting of about 20 different liquid strains. I can get a 50ml slant at no cost just the time and DME to build it. Hes cool like that. I also agree that cultivating a few different strains during a brew run will save you tons of money and time in the long run vs dry with your techniques. In the end make beer the best you can within the time you have to make it. If it works I'm happy. I just want others to be aware that D in US-05 is a possibility. 

Edited by BlKtRe, 08 October 2014 - 07:41 AM.

#60 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:50 AM

Ive made a few very nice beers with 1450. I also like the mouthfeel that yeast gives. Low flocculation is the only bad thing I can say about it. It really lets hops shine through nicely IMO.

Do you cold crash?  Lately, I've been finding my 1450 beers (up to mid 60s OG) are fermented out in about 3 days.  I raise the temp for 2 days to make sure, then crash to 34.  In 3 days at 34, they're crystal clear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users