#61 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:53 AM

I'm guessing I would prefer 1056 in a lot of situations.  the problem is that using dry allows me to brew more often.  and the liquid + DME costs more in terms of time/money.

How much do you pay for DME?  I pay about $20 for a 5 lb. bag.  I average maybe 10 starters out of that, so DME costs me about $2 per starter.

#62 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:54 AM

Do you cold crash?  Lately, I've been finding my 1450 beers (up to mid 60s OG) are fermented out in about 3 days.  I raise the temp for 2 days to make sure, then crash to 34.  In 3 days at 34, they're crystal clear.

I've generally not had problems getting 1450 beers to clear using cold crashing.

#63 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:57 AM

My next round will be 1450 beers. I'm embarrassed to say I have not used it yet. A month or so ago Mtn stopped by for the weekend passing through and he really likes 1450 and told me all about his experiences with it. 

#64 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:57 AM

How much do you pay for DME?  I pay about $20 for a 5 lb. bag.  I average maybe 10 starters out of that, so DME costs me about $2 per starter.

$4.40/lb.  so for a typical 10 gallon batch I'd probably use something like $3.50-4.00 of DME.  the cost is actually a small factor in all of this.  the time is the bigger factor.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 08 October 2014 - 07:58 AM.

#65 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:56 AM

Do you cold crash? Lately, I've been finding my 1450 beers (up to mid 60s OG) are fermented out in about 3 days. I raise the temp for 2 days to make sure, then crash to 34. In 3 days at 34, they're crystal clear.

Thats exactly my procedure. But you have made me think about this and to be fair every single one of my 1450 beers has been dry hopped so my original statement is not really that valid. To varying degrees my dry hopped beers are always less clear/take longer to clear than otherwise.

#66 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 08 October 2014 - 10:29 AM

that's surprising given how low-floccing it is.

I hate how slow it flocs, aggravatingly slow

I've generally not had problems getting 1450 beers to clear using cold crashing.

IME 1450 clears quicker than 05 

#67 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 October 2014 - 10:45 AM

I hate how slow it flocs, aggravatingly slow

IME 1450 clears quicker than 05 

close your eyes and enjoy the beer!

#68 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 08 October 2014 - 11:18 AM

Thats exactly my procedure. But you have made me think about this and to be fair every single one of my 1450 beers has been dry hopped so my original statement is not really that valid. To varying degrees my dry hopped beers are always less clear/take longer to clear than otherwise.

The polyphenols in hops bind the proteins in beers which makes them look cloudy.  The more hops, the more the effect happens.  Dry hopping particularly exacerbates it.  But they will eventually clear if kept cold.

#69 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 08 October 2014 - 11:53 AM

The polyphenols in hops bind the proteins in beers which makes them look cloudy.  The more hops, the more the effect happens.  Dry hopping particularly exacerbates it.  But they will eventually clear if kept cold.

Worst by product from dryhopping. I love IpA as my all time favorite style but when the polys are out in force it tastes like my newly cut lawn smells.

#70 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:56 AM

bringing this thread back.  drinking a beer made with US-05 right now.  nothing off about it at all.  NOTHING!  perhaps some of you need to give it another chance?

#71 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 01:32 PM

The issue is that I have had problems with it in the past and I see no reason to 1) risk that problem again and 2) use it in place of 1056, WLP001, etc. when I have had no issues with those strains and the temps I typically ferment ales at. On one hand, it might just be a superstitious thing but I don't like rolling the dice like that if it means that the beer I envision will be something else that I don't care for. If I'm going to put the effort into making beer, I want to feel a better chance at getting what I envisioned in the first place.

#72 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 06 July 2017 - 01:40 PM

bringing this thread back.  drinking a beer made with US-05 right now.  nothing off about it at all.  NOTHING!  perhaps some of you need to give it another chance?

How many chances do I give it?  Several dozen at this point and I still get it.  Agree with Ken.

#73 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 01:52 PM

I meant to add that there is no motivation for me to use it. I get consistently good results from the American ale strains I use. I get that it's cheaper and easier to use but that peachy-apricot character that I got from it was a deal-breaker for me.

#74 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 06 July 2017 - 02:02 PM

I still keep some around, it's not like it's s-23

Edited by miccullen, 06 July 2017 - 02:08 PM.

#75 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 06 July 2017 - 02:33 PM

I used US-05 in a Spotted Cow recently and liked it.   However,  I used some homegrown hops my brother grew at flameout for the heckuvit.   They were a little weird and probably covered up anything from the yeast.     

What's wrong with S-23?   I've had great luck with that one.      But I will admit that I like 2206 better...

#76 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 06 July 2017 - 02:57 PM

I used US-05 in a Spotted Cow recently and liked it.   However,  I used some homegrown hops my brother grew at flameout for the heckuvit.   They were a little weird and probably covered up anything from the yeast.     

What's wrong with S-23?   I've had great luck with that one.      But I will admit that I like 2206 better...

maybe the issue has been fixed, but in the past s-23 would randomly throw batches with a strong passion fruit ish ester, like a wine cooler

#77 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 02:58 PM

I once used S-23 in a bitter of all things. My 1028 or 1968 coming out of the previous fermenter was bad but I already brewed the bitter... with nothing else to use, I sprinkled some S-23 over it. I thought it turned out pretty nicely.

#78 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 06 July 2017 - 03:31 PM

maybe the issue has been fixed, but in the past s-23 would randomly throw batches with a strong passion fruit ish ester, like a wine cooler

Yeah.   That sounds nasty.   I took it to 6 generations on a series of helles over the winter.  Fermented at 48 w/ no issues.   Good attenuation too.

#79 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 06 July 2017 - 07:55 PM

No way!

#80 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 July 2017 - 04:19 AM

The issue is that I have had problems with it in the past and I see no reason to 1) risk that problem again and 2) use it in place of 1056, WLP001, etc. when I have had no issues with those strains and the temps I typically ferment ales at. On one hand, it might just be a superstitious thing but I don't like rolling the dice like that if it means that the beer I envision will be something else that I don't care for. If I'm going to put the effort into making beer, I want to feel a better chance at getting what I envisioned in the first place.

How many chances do I give it?  Several dozen at this point and I still get it.  Agree with Ken.

Maybe they'll lower the price to increase demand that is low from bad press.  thanks guys :cheers:

;)

Edited by Evil_Morty, 07 July 2017 - 04:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users