#1 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:27 AM

I'm not allowed to serve my own beer at the wedding... (####ING SHIT BRAINS COCK MONGERS!)...

So I have to come up with a beer list I'd like to have. They can get pretty much anything at the resort. Most of the people aren't big beer snobs so there isn't a big worry about super rare or anything like that. Standard commercial stuff is fine.

I want to have a decent plane jane lager, a good pale or IPA, a sour (several of the girls going love sours), belgian, and porter or stout. That should cover a decent range of pallets.

I've come up with the following...

Warsteiner (sub Hotter than Helles cigar city?)

Reef Donkey (Local pale ale - just won silver or bronze at GABF)

Founders Porter (sub magic hat heart of darkeness?)

Duchesse de Bourgogne (sub Rodenbach Grand Cru if not available)

Delirium Tremens

Any ideas for something different in there or is that a solid list. I admit, I am certainly not even close to being up to date on all the "hip" beers. The wedding is in Key West, so we'll be drinking A LOT over the whole weekend.

I'm giving custom labelled bottles of my Kolsch as wedding favors. I know most of the guests would much rather drink my beer than anything commercial, but such is life.

Cheers!

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:57 AM

what  beer you like is a personal thing.  plus we aren't looking at the whole list of what is available.  I guess I'd try to pick local options for some of them if you have some good local options.

#3 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

Comptroller of BigBossMan

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:21 AM

Why can't you serve your own beer?

#4 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:22 AM

List looks good. Do you pay by the beer or by the keg? That's about 600 beers by the half barrel.

#5 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:28 AM

Why can't you serve your own beer?

The resort won't allow it. TPW put down the deposit before I could object. Otherwise I'd be drowning my guests in brew.

List looks good. Do you pay by the beer or by the keg? That's about 600 beers by the half barrel.

By either 12pk or case. No draft available. So it's gonna be sensible.

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53920 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:46 AM

Here's a question for you: If you could serve your own beer, which beers would you have? What commercial examples are suitable subs for those beers that you would make and serve yourself? There's your answer. If it were me, I would try to have a decent selection and I may or may not know what everyone's preferences were. My selection would probably be: Something light like an American Premium Lager or Helles. A pale ale (APA), probably a porter or stout for those who like it and then maybe something like my Bordertown Dark Lager and then round it out with a Red Ale or Red Lager kind of thing. Hey, for the attendees, it's free beer so no complaining allowed. :D Congrats again my friend... very exciting for both of you and I will clink a glass or two on your special day. Enjoy this planning stage. It's hectic but it's fun too.

#7 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:20 AM

Here's a question for you: If you could serve your own beer, which beers would you have? What commercial examples are suitable subs for those beers that you would make and serve yourself? There's your answer. If it were me, I would try to have a decent selection and I may or may not know what everyone's preferences were. My selection would probably be: Something light like an American Premium Lager or Helles. A pale ale (APA), probably a porter or stout for those who like it and then maybe something like my Bordertown Dark Lager and then round it out with a Red Ale or Red Lager kind of thing. Hey, for the attendees, it's free beer so no complaining allowed. :D Congrats again my friend... very exciting for both of you and I will clink a glass or two on your special day. Enjoy this planning stage. It's hectic but it's fun too.

That's basically what I did.

#8 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16610 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:30 AM

what  beer you like is a personal thing. 

I agree its personal and depends on what you are going for. That said, I have had Rodenbach Grand Cru several times and it never fails to please. I think my wife is the only person I have met that doesn't like it. OTOH I had Duchesse one time on tap and I have to say that to me it tasted like cheap balsamic vinegar and aspartame. Not approachable at all. Maybe just my palate? Maybe it was a bad keg? I dunno. Of course one more thing to think about if you personally really like the Duchesse is that maybe there will be a lot left over if nobody likes it! Then you take home the extra.

#9 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9729 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 13 October 2014 - 12:21 PM

IMHO sub the helles and not the Founders.  I think the Duchesse is more approachable but the average citizen, but it is still a sour. I like both and would be impressed by both, but I like the Grand Cru a little more.

Any thoughts on a wheat/wit.  Those are always popular at big gatherings.

And you WILL have a portable kegerator or cooler of homebrew bottles in a hospitality suite for people at the hotel wont you.

I also assume my invitation is in the mail.  Right?

#10 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16610 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 12:29 PM

I think the Duchesse is more approachable but the average citizen, but it is still a sour. 

Could be mine was just bad.

This is a good idea.

#11 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 12:43 PM

IMHO sub the helles and not the Founders.  I think the Duchesse is more approachable but the average citizen, but it is still a sour. I like both and would be impressed by both, but I like the Grand Cru a little more.

And you WILL have a portable kegerator or cooler of homebrew bottles in a hospitality suite for people at the hotel wont you.

I also assume my invitation is in the mail.  Right?

Yeah I was thinking CCB Helles would be good plus local. There's about 7-8 people that will drink the sour.

I'll have 4 bottles of my beer for every guest as a welcome present. I'm brewing it this weekend. No matter where they stay they will get their welcome bag with my beer. Not as many staying at the resort and we won't spend a ton of time there since we'll be hitting duval street pretty hard Friday night and maybe Saturday night. 

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53920 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 01:54 PM

On the topic of those all-expense-paid tickets for the few select brewers who have replied in this thread... ahem. :D

#13 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:03 PM

On the topic of those all-expense-paid tickets for the few select brewers who have replied in this thread... ahem. :D

Get in line. I'm waiting for my ticket too.

#14 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14713 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:05 PM

IMHO sub the helles and not the Founders. 

Agreed. There is nothing from Magic Hat that could be considered a decent substitute for anything from Founders!!

Also, the Warsteiner would likely be all oxidized and stuff

#15 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10722 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:54 PM

Agreed. There is nothing from Magic Hat that could be considered a decent substitute for anything from Founders!!

I was thinking this but I couldn't remember if I ever had the heart of darkness. Odd beer to get all the way to Florida. If you want a Vermont Porter/Stout I'd go Otter Creek Stovepipe Porter. Very well made and a nice price point to boot.

#16 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:45 PM

I was thinking this but I couldn't remember if I ever had the heart of darkness. Odd beer to get all the way to Florida. If you want a Vermont Porter/Stout I'd go Otter Creek Stovepipe Porter. Very well made and a nice price point to boot.

I went on beer advocate and looked for a highly rated porter. Founders was #1. 

#17 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10722 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:44 AM

I went on beer advocate and looked for a highly rated porter. Founders was #1. 

Founders I agree with, I was surprised at Magic Hat being the sub.

#18 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:49 AM

Founders I agree with, I was surprised at Magic Hat being the sub.

yeah - I'm generally not impressed with magic hat.  your otter creek suggestion is likely better (I say likely just b/c I'm not sure I've ever had it personally).

#19 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:53 AM

Stovepipe is a great porter.  I am not a huge Duchesse fan but if people like it go with it. It may also be easier to get than Grand Cru although I think you should just get a case of two of Cantillon :)

#20 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 02:40 PM

So here are all the beers they can get from the distributor. Why all of CCB's beers are not on there, I'm not sure. Seems stupid. I can pick three...

Fat Tire Amber

Highand Gaelic

Holy Mackerel Golden

Rogue Hazelnut Brown

Native The Eleven

Ommengang Hennepin

Founders Centennial IPA

Oskar Blues Dales Pale

Stoudts Scarlet Lady ESB

Left Hand Milk Stout

Cigar City Hotter than Helles Lager

Blue Point Toasted Lager

Oskar Blues Mama’s Little Pils

Victory Prima Pils

Rogue Dead Guy

Shiner Bock

Cigar City Florida Cracker

Harpoon UFO

Abita Purple Haze

I was thinking...

CCB Hotter than Helles - for the plebeians, Founders Centennial IPA, and Victory Prima Pils. What do you guys think? Maybe a stout or the brown?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users