Photo
- - - - -

Do you all tell other brewers about our beer forum?

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:10 AM

I'm hesitant to tell other brewers about our forum here unless I feel they are knowledgeable enough to participate or if they are really serious about becoming a better brewer. I don't want this place to devolve into HBT. I usually tell new brewers to stay off the forums, read how to brew 10 times, then go to the forums and ask any questions on things that might need clarification, then brew a batch of beer or three, do more research and ask more questions, but take forum advice with a grain of salt. I don't mind helping people personally and I love to talk beer, but I think this place is more evolved and a perfect BS detector for ideas, hypothesis, and the like without getting a lot of static. It's one of three things that have made me a better brewer (the other two being my comp team and just brewing a lot). I do feel that I'm being a bit selfish, which I don't like, but I like the higher level of discourse here and I don't want to saturate it.

So how many of you invite people to discuss things here?

Cheers.

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:24 AM

I don't like mixing RL with this place so no, I don't tend to tell people about it.

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:34 AM

Rich: I agree with you that this is a very nice little corner of the homebrewing forum world and I thank my lucky stars to be in contact with other great brewers without having to wade through a bunch of nonsense. That said, when I hear from other brewers (usually through my site), I do direct them here. For one thing, I would rather they come here and get sound advice as opposed to ending up on one of the other forums that has been taken over by newbie cowboys. The other reason I do that is because we do get the occasional newbie here (Dan, JD, etc) and I think that the experienced-to-newbie ratio here is strong enough to support it. I don't envision this place getting overrun with newbies like the other places so I'm comfortable helping the few newbies we might see. Also, I don't really direct THAT many people here... maybe 3 or 4 a year and just because I direct them here doesn't mean they'll come here or post here. Some just lurk which is fine too.

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:54 AM

I don't like mixing RL with this place so no, I don't tend to tell people about it.

Pretty much the same for me.  There are a few on here that I have met or found out live near me but none of that happened before I found this place ( or the old place where we all started).

#5 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16490 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:58 AM

I will tell only people that are serious about homebrewing regardless of their experience. I've found that these type of people even though they might be newbies have something to offer. Especially the DIY types.

#6 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:06 AM

Glad to see I'm in good company.

#7 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:39 AM

I only know a couple other homebrewers. Neither is interested in accepting any advice at all. Just not interested. And each has brewed for years and still cant taste the band-aid. I have given up on them. I wouldnt dream of sending them here.

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:04 AM

I think that if a newbie (or an established brewer who can't seem to get some things right) came to this forum, he or she would quickly see that we don't #### around here. We don't have newbies running nekkid through the beer forum screwing things up for everyone else. I would think they would come here and get the help they need and potentially make better beer and that's a win-win in my book. When I was a new brewer, I relied on a few very helpful people who were very giving of their brewing knowledge. I told myself that if I ever found myself in a position to help, I would. I get a lot of emails from people who visit my site and ask questions all over the brewing spectrum. I enjoy trying to help them if I can.

I wouldnt dream of sending them here.

I wouldn't dream of it if they didn't want it. But if someone came to me and asked about a topic that I was not up to speed on or they wanted a recipe for a beer style that I don't make, I would send them here with the hope that they would find what they're looking for. I like that about our hobby.

#9 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:24 AM

Ya, the nekkid running through threads is only reserved for seasoned veterans of the beer forum...

...and hot chicks.

I have to admit though, I was a newb when I joined this forum from the board that shall not be named. I was trying to absorb everything I could and I'm glad I came here instead of HBT because I think I might have been more embarrassed if I found this place later. I try not to be too critical here mostly because I don't know it all and most of my questions are to spark debate and understanding rather than to prove someone wrong. I'll be the first to admit when I'm wrong, I hope. I'm just glad you all put up with me.

Cheers!

#10 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:30 AM

I only knew 1 homebrewer at work. He joined this place , but does not come here often. I am now working with a wine- maker at work.We talk of processes and tasting beer and wine. I may  invite him here someday.

If i thought i would Not get Constructive criticism i might of stopped coming here a long time ago. So yes, i like that most the 'salty old timers' on here don't sugar coat everything. Give it me straight - I can take the pain...

#11 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:43 AM

I like HBT for the build threads and I've bought a few things from the market. Blue board and the former verde are the only places I post or answer questions. There's too much noise and mis-info on some other sites to bother trying to have a conversation. I've told some experienced brewers about this place but they usually stick with the places they got into when they started brewing. 

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:50 AM

Ya, the nekkid running through threads is only reserved for seasoned veterans of the beer forum...    ...and hot chicks. I have to admit though, I was a newb when I joined this forum from the board that shall not be named. I was trying to absorb everything I could and I'm glad I came here instead of HBT because I think I might have been more embarrassed if I found this place later. I try not to be too critical here mostly because I don't know it all and most of my questions are to spark debate and understanding rather than to prove someone wrong. I'll be the first to admit when I'm wrong, I hope. I'm just glad you all put up with me. Cheers!

You're an example of someone who came in here running. You have made a lot of beer and amped your brewing very quickly so you're someone who definitely belongs here. You're better for coming here and the board is better for having you. Look at another recent member here (I'm not even going to say his name) where he trolled endlessly about things and ####ed with people in the beer forum and the PH. Someone who comes here to do that will quickly realize that this is not their place. Someone who is serious about brewing will absorb, ask questions, start debate (as you mentioned) and fit right in. This is my #1 board. I do look around on Northern Brewer but really just because it's a "different" group... not a better group or whatever. There are people there to ignore but also a number of established brewers who are just there and not here. Otherwise, I'm confident that if I bounced a question off of people here in our beer forum, I would get good advice. I like to see others have the chance to fit in here.

#13 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:03 AM

I think it is key that we have some engineering/science types around here.  People who tend to make sure they have something to back up their statements and generally don't take answers at face value without questioning.  This isn't to say that other members don't add a lot of valuable input b/c they do - I just feel like the analytical types around here help to keep things honest which is one of the major problems with HBT.

#14 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:17 AM

I tell people about the site.  Have yet to see anyone join

#15 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:26 AM

Slightly off-topic but worth mentioning: As members here, we maintain our own content and keep the site relevant with good conversation and dialog about our hobby. My "local" board (many who I have met and have had over to my house from Chicago and Milwaukee area) is now a ghost town. There is the occasional post here or there and a reply 4 months later. It's up to us to keep things moving and to keep adding content. Otherwise the place falls apart and people go elsewhere. I agree with Morty (dude, would you puh-leeze stop changing your screen name... I can't keep up) that analytical, engineering and scientific types help, for sure. I have nothing to offer in that area so I get out of the way and listen. The DIYers here are very helpful as well... we have a great combination of people here for sure.

#16 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:31 AM

Slightly off-topic but worth mentioning: As members here, we maintain our own content and keep the site relevant with good conversation and dialog about our hobby. My "local" board (many who I have met and have had over to my house from Chicago and Milwaukee area) is now a ghost town. There is the occasional post here or there and a reply 4 months later. It's up to us to keep things moving and to keep adding content. Otherwise the place falls apart and people go elsewhere. I agree with Morty (dude, would you puh-leeze stop changing your screen name... I can't keep up) that analytical, engineering and scientific types help, for sure. I have nothing to offer in that area so I get out of the way and listen. The DIYers here are very helpful as well... we have a great combination of people here for sure.

I can't help it ken.  this is the same reason I'd never get a tattoo.

#17 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:37 AM

Look at another recent member here (I'm not even going to say his name) where he trolled endlessly about things and ####ed with people in the beer forum and the PH.

Geez Ken I didn't think I was that bad.

#18 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16490 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:41 AM

Only reason I know Evil isn't a new guy is because of his post count. I'm to lazy to constantly check profiles for name changes. :) I also agree in both forums, beer and PH, that when I ask a question I will get honest, spot on answers. I also gave up on other forums unless I'm doing some research to try and get a quick concensus.

#19 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:47 AM

I'm morty from another dimension and I'm evil.  That's all you really need to know.

#20 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:56 AM

I guess the point on that last part was that the forum is only as good as its members and content. We have a good atmosphere here because the brewers are good, the content is helpful and relevant and there is a decent amount of traffic. The fact that there is little-to-no newbie traffic here is an added bonus. When I go to a place like NB, I can't believe some of the stuff I see or reply to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users