Photo
- - - - -

Do you all tell other brewers about our beer forum?

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#41 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:22 AM

you guys still look at me as the newbie...  Gosh

I think they mean when you started posting here.

#42 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:45 AM

Talk about dead, anyone look at the green board lately?

#43 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:02 AM

I'm with Guest on this one. I tell other homebrewers about this forum.

Don't turn this place into a bunch of elitist douchenozzles.

:D

Like I said, I will promote the board, but only if someone is serious about brewing some good beer and willing to do some research on their own. I'm also more than happy to answer their questions directly.

I don't consider myself an elitist. Douchenozzle, maybe at times, but certainly not elitist.

#44 brewman

brewman

Canyon Chin King of Chicago

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts
  • LocationFlorida Everglades

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:06 AM

So Schwanz is upset that JD and I are here.  We are like illegal aliens crossing the border sucking up the boards resources to him. 

#45 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:23 AM

So Schwanz is upset that JD and I are here.  We are like illegal aliens crossing the border sucking up the boards resources to him. 

Say what now?

Probably upset that I'm here, since I only brew beer 1-2x a year.

Welcome to molehill mountain.

I'm talking about criteria for people I know personally. If someone finds this place and starts asking questions, great! I'd prefer that someone I know personally in real life has some beginner knowledge before they come here and bugs someone else is all.

I'm always happy to see the longer standing members come back and post.

#46 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54006 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:44 AM

Here's another thought.  When I hear from people through my site, they're asking me questions or trying to get my opinion on something, etc. and that in itself is an indication that they would be a useful member of our community.  Someone who went to my site and was not interested in brewing better beer or thought they already knew everything would probably not contact me in the first place.  I think I might actually have a link to this board on my site but it's not prominently placed.

#47 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:09 AM

I'm with Guest on this one. I tell other homebrewers about this forum.

Don't turn this place into a bunch of elitist douchenozzles.

I agree. Keep that down in the PH. No use for it up here.  :)

#48 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 15 October 2014 - 12:07 PM

Like nettles most of my friends that brew seem like they know everything and don't need to ask questions. But I have mentioned this place to some of them and none seem to interested. I think most of them just use Google if they have a question.

#49 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 October 2014 - 12:52 PM

Like nettles most of my friends that brew seem like they know everything and don't need to ask questions. But I have mentioned this place to some of them and none seem to interested. I think most of them just use Google if they have a question.

there is always room to learn something new.  do these guys have everything really nailed down regarding their processes?

#50 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 15 October 2014 - 01:25 PM

there is always room to learn something new.  do these guys have everything really nailed down regarding their processes?

Yup. Dont want to learn then your beer will get passed up. 

#51 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54006 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 01:38 PM

I know a lot of brewers who know A LOT about brewing and rightly so. But I'm not sure that I ever encountered someone who claimed to know everything about brewing. If you had someone who claimed to know everything about brewing, thought he needed no help or guidance AND he happened to make marginal beer... What's up with that? :D

#52 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 15 October 2014 - 01:58 PM

Yup. Dont want to learn then your beer will get passed up. 

My wife and friends were mortified when I asked an honest opinion of a professional chef.  He identified an off aroma (stinky feet) which allowed me to research and identify the source.  Part of the research was, of course, here.  But I would never have known because my sense of smell left when I broke my nose.  I wasn't offended of his critique, but used it to my advantage.  For the record, after I replaced my tubing, even I could tell the difference.

I have invited others to the site, but I don't think anyone has taken me up on the offer.  The ones I did invite are ones that I know brew and are excited about brewing.

#53 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 15 October 2014 - 02:03 PM

OK, the only reason I'm saying this is because I feel like I know you guys and you're friends....this board is good, very good.  I'd say it's the second best one I'm on (ducking!).  I like the way everyone here helps everyone else and the level of technical knowledge is way above most other beer forums.  But quite honestly, I feel this board has a ways to go before it equals the depth and breadth of the AHA form.  I really hope I didn't offend anyone by saying that.  But from my point of view, it's the truth.  Now, please don't think I'm dissing this board in ANY way.  I love it here and feel like it's a valuable resource.

#54 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

Comptroller of BigBossMan

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 15 October 2014 - 02:10 PM

OK, the only reason I'm saying this is because I feel like I know you guys and you're friends....this board is good, very good.  I'd say it's the second best one I'm on (ducking!).  I like the way everyone here helps everyone else and the level of technical knowledge is way above most other beer forums.  But quite honestly, I feel this board has a ways to go before it equals the depth and breadth of the AHA form.  I really hope I didn't offend anyone by saying that.  But from my point of view, it's the truth.  Now, please don't think I'm dissing this board in ANY way.  I love it here and feel like it's a valuable resource.

I'll take 2nd to the AHA any day.

Personally, I never go to the AHA or any other forum (except GotMead) for answers. I like and trust the people here, except that douchenozzle Schwanz. :P

Edited by BigBossMan, 15 October 2014 - 02:18 PM.

#55 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54006 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 02:11 PM

What would be a good way to improve things here? What topics are discussed on AHA that you might not find here? I don't think anyone would be offended by what you said. Oh hey, what's your address again? :P

Edited by KenLenard, 15 October 2014 - 02:12 PM.

#56 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 15 October 2014 - 02:12 PM

Second to the AHA forum is high praise, imho.

#57 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 15 October 2014 - 02:32 PM

Haha, no. I meant that jokingly. They just don't want advice, they act like they know everything. If I would say, hey you should really make a starter for that beer you have had that smack pack in your fridge for months and your OG is over 1.070. They would say, nah I am fine I have been doing this for years. And then they wonder why it doesn't attenuate properly, etc. :facepalm:

#58 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 15 October 2014 - 02:58 PM

I'll take 2nd to the AHA any day.

Personally, I never go to the AHA or any other forum (except GotMead) for answers. I like and trust the people here, except that douchenozzle Schwanz. :P

This!  

What would be a good way to improve things here? What topics are discussed on AHA that you might not find here? I don't think anyone would be offended by what you said. Oh hey, what's your address again? :P

Ask Guest...

Second to the AHA forum is high praise, imho.

Yup... it bears repeating that 2nd to the AHA is pretty darn good... especially keeping in mind that as an entity, we haven't been around too long.  I still feel like a newb at times.  It didn't help that my brewing slowed down significantly after we left California.  All I know is that when we finally look for a new place, the capability to brew year round will be on the list of things that a house needs to support.  At that point, I'll feel like I can run with the big boys again.

#59 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 15 October 2014 - 03:31 PM

Well, I thought of another one...the HBD Brews and Views board. Hardly anyone knows about that one. Some of the longest term brewers around on there and a real depth of knowledge. But VERY little traffic these days, which diminishes it's current value. It was really THE place 15 years ago, so there's a lot of good info in the archives. But based on the current traffic there, there's a lot more to be learned here currently.Ken, I think the one thing this place lacks is the one thing that we all probably don't want to see.....more traffic. That's a real benefit to having "AHA" on it. LOTS of people. Between good rules, good mods, and everybody willing to get along for the sake of beer (except the aforementioned person who was banned numerous times there). I'd almost rather sacrifice some of that diversity for the community feeling here. But that just means that those of us who are here need to make sure we share what we learn as much as we can. Pay it forward....hug yer brother....yeah, I've been drinking.....

#60 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 15 October 2014 - 04:18 PM

Maybe a good approach is for more people to post brain dumps on various topics, instead of waiting for someone to ask. If you're doing or come up with something interesting, create a thread about it, include pictures.

More pics!  More pics!  :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users