#1 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 15 October 2014 - 05:58 AM

Anyone here use a RIMS to step their mash? Care to share your set up? I recently purchased a stainless RIMS tube. It would be cool to see how others do it before using mine.

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:05 AM

I do. I will post some pictures when I get to a PC.

#3 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:05 AM

Cool. Thanks!

Do you use it often?

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:06 AM

Every time I brew.

#5 brewman

brewman

Canyon Chin King of Chicago

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts
  • LocationFlorida Everglades

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:27 AM

Cool. Thanks!

Do you use it often?

NO

Fixed for accuracy

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:28 AM

confused....

#7 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:38 AM

How so Evil?

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:43 AM

How so Evil?

just with brewman's post.  I'm missing the joke I guess.

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:15 AM

just with brewman's post.  I'm missing the joke I guess.

He is picking on me for not brewing.  Technically he is correct

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:19 AM

Here is my RIMS.  Top is the input and the bottom is the output.  I will just leave it here and answer any questions you have on it.

httpss://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/306386_10150480643194657_736189_n.jpg?oh=0183a6b6b0b77e0e5d82ea4d82b88240&oe=54B942F4&__gda__=1420663187_ae028faa9826471876a2aaa3214edf20

ETA:

Old picture showing how it is set up on the brew table

httpss://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash2/v/t1.0-9/p417x417/562454_10150997403624657_1039526067_n.jpg?oh=5d481a4976879e249ca775bb43d30774&oe=54ACFE56

Edited by drez77, 15 October 2014 - 07:20 AM.

#11 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:24 AM

Great! This is a set up I have some questions about. Is that the probe that controls the element? Is it on the "in" side or "out" side? If it is the probe that controls the element, why isn't it in the mash tun?

#12 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:39 AM

Great! This is a set up I have some questions about. Is that the probe that controls the element? Is it on the "in" side or "out" side? If it is the probe that controls the element, why isn't it in the mash tun?

I just heard a can of worms opening... :P

#13 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:43 AM

On the "out" side you will see a thermocouple.  That controls the element.  The pump is always on but the element will only fire when the temp gets below the setpoint.  I did a lot or research on where to put the probe and I also did test with a probe in the MLT and on the output of the RIMS.  I decided that for me it was best to have the probe on the RIMS.  At the time I was worried that a probe in the MLT could heat the wort up too much as it was flowing seeing it would try to be raising the grainbed temp up.  Both ways will work you just need to decide what you want in your system.  I will say I keep a thermometer in my MLT as I mash and that and the temp controller for the rims will match up to the degree during the brew day.

Near the top ball valve I have a air valve so I can blow out the RIMS tube and make sure all the liquid is out if it.

I will also use mine in conjunction with my eHLT to get the strike water to temp faster.

#14 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:58 AM

Great info. I can test it both ways. I have a spot to place a thermowell on the out and I can have a thermometer in the tun.

I thought about heating my strike water in a similar way. I use a cooler mash tun. On the night before, I could set it up with the rims and pump. Once it hit strike temp, it would maintain it until I was ready to dough in.

I bought this style RIMS tube:

Posted Image

#15 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16490 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:03 AM

Question. Why step mash? 

Unless you are looking for something in  a sour beer mash. Turbid.

Edited by BlKtRe, 15 October 2014 - 08:04 AM.

#16 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16490 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:07 AM

On the "out" side you will see a thermocouple.  That controls the element.  The pump is always on but the element will only fire when the temp gets below the setpoint.  I did a lot or research on where to put the probe and I also did test with a probe in the MLT and on the output of the RIMS.  I decided that for me it was best to have the probe on the RIMS.  At the time I was worried that a probe in the MLT could heat the wort up too much as it was flowing seeing it would try to be raising the grainbed temp up.  Both ways will work you just need to decide what you want in your system.  I will say I keep a thermometer in my MLT as I mash and that and the temp controller for the rims will match up to the degree during the brew day.

Near the top ball valve I have a air valve so I can blow out the RIMS tube and make sure all the liquid is out if it.

I will also use mine in conjunction with my eHLT to get the strike water to temp faster.

I agree totally and the same thought for HERMS users. 

#17 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:07 AM

Question. Why step mash? 

Lagers. 100% Pilsner Lagers. 100% Pilsner Lagers with floor malted Czech Pilsen malt.  :D

#18 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:11 AM

Question. Why step mash? 

Only beer I really step mash is a Berliner.  I will use it to raise the temps to mash out on most batches.

Unless you get a lot of under-modified malts I am not sure a step mash will do much.  Just my 0.02$

Great info. I can test it both ways. I have a spot to place a thermowell on the out and I can have a thermometer in the tun.

I thought about heating my strike water in a similar way. I use a cooler mash tun. On the night before, I could set it up with the rims and pump. Once it hit strike temp, it would maintain it until I was ready to dough in.

I bought this style RIMS tube:

Posted Image

I have seen that set up, it is a nice one.  What do you plan to use for an element, wattage that is.

#19 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16490 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:14 AM

Lagers. 100% Pilsner Lagers. 100% Pilsner Lagers with floor malted Czech Pilsen malt.  :D

Unless you get a lot of under-modified malts I am not sure a step mash will do much.  Just my 0.02$

Now I'm really confused. 

#20 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:18 AM

Only beer I really step mash is a Berliner.  I will use it to raise the temps to mash out on most batches.

I have seen that set up, it is a nice one.  What do you plan to use for an element, wattage that is.

Ultra low density 1500

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users