41 replies to this topic

#41 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 03:26 PM

I made this beer again on May 16. It is now in a keg, cold and carbed. On this one, the hops were ½ an ounce of Spalt 3.2% as a FWH and then 1 ounce of Hallertau Mitt (also 3.2%) plus the other half of the Spalt ounce. Came in around 24 IBU. I also used the Wyeast 2002 Gambrinus seasonal/private yeast which is a great yeast. I just sneaked a cobra-tap sample while I was making dinner and it came out beautiful. Big, thick & rich head, a bit of cloudiness on the first pour and much clearer on pour #2. Deep, smooth & rounded maltiness from the Vienna and probably from the chloride but then a very nice hop character and slightly dry finish presumably from the 27ppm of sulfate and the lower mash temp. It would be a great beer if the temp would climb above the lousy 62° I'm currently experiencing! <_< Cheers.

#42 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 10:52 AM

I'm still in "Hurry Up And Make Beer" mode. I made a blonde ale last Friday and a Mexican Amber Lager on Sunday, both of which are winding down. MLPA to follow on the ale side and a helles is going to be made early next week with 2308 which I just made a 2L starter for. I have one ounce of this delicious Mandarina Bavaria left and I'm going to use it here:

7.75 lbs Avangard German Pils
1 lb Best Malz Light Munich (6-8L°)
4 ounces Carafoam
.38 oz Mandarina Bavaria 7.2% FWH (7 IBU)
.62 oz Mandarina Bavaria 7.2% for 60 (19 IBU)

OG: 1.050, FG: 1.011, SRM: 4, IBU: 26, ABV: 4.8%

100% filtered tap water, 3g of CaCl added to the mash with 2.5ml of lactic acid. Single infusion mash at 150°. What I get from these hops is "clean and German". I don't know if they were supposed to be citrusy or what but they do not taste that way to me. This beer will either be available for this party on 9/6 or else it will be in the pipeline to help recover from all the consumed beer. More 2308 beers to follow.

Edited by Village Taphouse, 20 August 2015 - 10:52 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users