#1 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:38 AM

...don't/can't or won't use. The RIMS thread got me thinking about equipment I've built/bought/or was given over the years but can't/don't use. My current system is no-sparge so I have a 1/2" copper tubing herms coil and a blichmann autosparge sitting on a shelf. Also I was given a pretty kick ass immersion chiller that works like a charm so my plate chiller collects dust. I have no desire to sell this stuff because I may put it in use some time. For now, it just takes up shelf space. Anyone with similar equipment issues?

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:43 AM

other than bottling equipment - not really.

#3 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:50 AM

Ok. I'm a hoarder.  :D

I still on occasion, use my bottling stuff. I love bottle conditioned Belgians.  :wub:

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:58 AM

I have too many bottles.  I keg most of the time but for some reason I still save specific bottles, mainly 500ml ones.  I have been giving away all my bottles for C&C and have sold away any equipment I do not see myself using.  With that said I still have an 50' IM chiller when I use a CFC and I have a spare pump but I feel these are just back ups in case something goes south on brew day.

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53905 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 10:05 AM

I used to have 40-50 cases of empty bottles. I have paired that way down by giving them to other brewers. I still have all of my bottling equipment and actually considered bottling an upcoming batch. I have an autosiphon that I don't use mainly because I assume I will break it if I use it so instead it's just proudly displayed on my brew bunker wall. I have a full 20# CO2 tank that I have not used (had it now for about 2 years)... I plan to put it into my on-deck fridge to carb kegs and the 10# jobbie that's in there now might go into the rotation for dispensing beer. Otherwise my tools are very simple and basic. I use my MT, Therampen, pH meter, SS cane and tubing, etc. but I don't really have a bunch of stuff that I don't use. I even bought a plate filter to try to get very clear beer but never used it. A buddy & fellow brewer thought he might have a yeast allergy so I donated it to him.

#6 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 15 October 2014 - 10:14 AM

I'm mostly in the same boat, but when we moved to our current house a couple years ago, I ended up parting with gear/equipment i just didn't need or use anymore.

Some stuff I have but don't use all that often: my stirplate (have been brewing enough that I repitch fresh slurry w/o needing a starter) and my hydrometer (since I got a refractometer for my b-day this year).

Otherwise, the stuff i have is the stuff i use every brewday/kegging day.

My wife would say I have way too much glassware, but I would beg to differ.

#7 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 15 October 2014 - 10:15 AM

I used to have a lot of wine bottle (25 cases) but I sold them to a lady that makes them into crafts to sell on etsy. I also used to have 5 extra sanke kegs but I sold those off too. At one time I had 5 propane burners (I used to host a big brew at my house) but I've sold off or given away all but one. I guess I have a tough time passing up a deal.

#8 brewman

brewman

Canyon Chin King of Chicago

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts
  • LocationFlorida Everglades

Posted 15 October 2014 - 10:19 AM

I wish

#9 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 15 October 2014 - 10:50 AM

I gave away most of my bottles except the flip tops.

I've given away an IC and pump.

Right now I'm rebuilding and pretty lean in the equipment dept.

#10 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 15 October 2014 - 11:02 AM

I just got done selling a truck load of stuff. Its what funded my electric brewery. 

#11 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 15 October 2014 - 11:54 AM

I have stuff i should pass on to a newbie. My old grain crusher, i still have my old scale (manual) . I am sure there is more bottles than i care to count.

#12 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 15 October 2014 - 02:00 PM

I have a sump pump that was intended to be used for recirculating chilling water for a 25' IC that I don't use.  

I'm a hoarder too.  I've also got a crappy plate chiller that was supposed to be used in the recirculating chilling process as well...

I've got a few other things, but those are the "cost me some with no return on the investment" type equipment.

#13 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 15 October 2014 - 02:12 PM

Hoarder here.  "You never know when you might need it."

Have a HLT that I bought from Swagman a few years ago that is just now being incorporated into the Electric System

#14 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10722 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 15 October 2014 - 02:38 PM

I have a few things like an old mash tun and kettle that are not in the way and not worth selling at this point. I'll eventually hand them down to someone picking up brewing.

#15 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 15 October 2014 - 02:58 PM

Hoarder here.  "You never know when you might need it."

Have a HLT that I bought from Swagman a few years ago that is just now being incorporated into the Electric System

You...  me... we speak the same language!

#16 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 15 October 2014 - 04:11 PM

I don't have to much around anymore that I don't use. I do have my old system that I used up until a few months ago when I got the electric rig finished. I will hang onto that for a bit. I have been letting friends use it to brew on when they come over. I have recently been trading things though that I don't use. Tomorrow actually I am trading 2 of my 6.5gal glass carboys(I have 4) to a buddy for 2 corny kegs and a 5lb. co2 tank w/regulator.

#17 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 15 October 2014 - 04:35 PM

Is 30+ carboys too many?

#18 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 05:44 PM

I have around 20 -- I'm going to be culling all of them. SS and plastic from here on out.

Why? Worried about the glass breaking or some other reason. Just curious.

#19 Dave McG

Dave McG

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9573 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 18 October 2014 - 10:00 PM

. and a blichmann autosparge sitting on a shelf.

If you ever want to get rid of this, let me know. I haven't been to a HoPS meeting in years, but I'm right by Bev Art.

#20 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 18 October 2014 - 11:01 PM

I'm not ready to sell but come check out a meeting. 3202 S May, this Tuesday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users