DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:59 PM

Hello Hello!

So long story short I got myself involved in the start of a new mega booze store. Man are we gonna have some beer. Anyway thought I would ask you guys some stuff. 

Basically I am looking for what you like about the liquor stores you frequent. What they could do better. How are allocated beers handled, likes, dislikes, ideas about the way they are offered to the customer. 

Any cool things you would like to see a store do this can be beer or other areas. etc etc etc.

This is going to be a store where the customer is king. I have been on the other side of it for so long now I sometimes forget what it was like when I was just a consumer shopping in a store. We want to be ahead of the game and do things a little differently to keep people coming back. Anything would help to get some ideas going. THANKS!

#2 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14713 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:13 PM

Fresh, fresh, fresh.Im a package date whore. I'm gonna check the date, and I'm not buying anything that's been sitting on the shelf.If you have IPA on your shelf that's been there 3 months, I'm probably going to be suspicious of everything. Be adamant with your dealers that you will check dates before accepting a shipment.

#3 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:50 PM

Fresh, fresh, fresh.Im a package date whore. I'm gonna check the date, and I'm not buying anything that's been sitting on the shelf.If you have IPA on your shelf that's been there 3 months, I'm probably going to be suspicious of everything. Be adamant with your dealers that you will check dates before accepting a shipment.

gotcha on that part. Luckily being in colorado a lot of the stuff that will be on my shelves (there will be 60 full beer doors) that is coming straight from the line. A little harder with the distributors, each brewery has their best by date and they must pull if expired. 

#4 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

Comptroller of BigBossMan

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 15 October 2014 - 10:06 PM

I hate liquor stores who cram everything thing they can into a small space. There should be room for two people to walk down an aisle comfortably. Also, clearly label where everything is.

A small cigar selection would be nice. I've been to stores that have a few good quality sticks on hand. Not that Swisher Sweets shit.

#5 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 15 October 2014 - 10:15 PM

I hate liquor stores who cram everything thing they can into a small space. There should be room for two people to walk down an aisle comfortably. Also, clearly label where everything is.

A small cigar selection would be nice. I've been to stores that have a few good quality sticks on hand. Not that Swisher Sweets shit.

done and done

#6 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16607 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 03:51 AM

Ill second this. I am the same way. I check date on every IPA/APA I buy, and usually other styles to. Also beer (again, especially hoppy styles) thats warm better have a very fresh date on it or I'm not buying.

#7 brewman

brewman

Canyon Chin King of Chicago

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts
  • LocationFlorida Everglades

Posted 16 October 2014 - 04:25 AM

Staff who know what there talking about and have big boobs.   Make your own six pack. 

#8 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:15 AM

Get a permit for tastings so you can pull a bottle on occasion and sample it for a customer. Saw a show where the store outfitted itself with a full bar and a panini station. Some comfotable couches. Think starbucks but liquor. 

#9 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:21 AM

if feasible, keeping as much of the beer as possible in cold-storage, rather than sitting out on a warm shelf.  Maybe like a refrigerated beer-cave or something, where the customers walk through.

And all of the above-mentioned ideas sound good too.

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:22 AM

I like when stores post the specs of the beer (ABV, IBU, SRM, style, etc.).

#11 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 16 October 2014 - 11:56 AM

Staff who know what there talking about and have big boobs.   Make your own six pack. 

we'll have about 6 full doors of build your own. That should be enough...

#12 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 16 October 2014 - 11:58 AM

Get a permit for tastings so you can pull a bottle on occasion and sample it for a customer. Saw a show where the store outfitted itself with a full bar and a panini station. Some comfotable couches. Think starbucks but liquor. 

Tastings here in Colorado are a little different, you have to tell the municipality the date and times of your tastings every month so as stard usually 4-7 Fridays and 1-4 on Saturdays. 

Also, illegal to sell food in a liquor store here in CO. 

#13 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 16 October 2014 - 12:01 PM

if feasible, keeping as much of the beer as possible in cold-storage, rather than sitting out on a warm shelf.  Maybe like a refrigerated beer-cave or something, where the customers walk through.

And all of the above-mentioned ideas sound good too.

we'll have 60 doors plus a walk in cave so the majority of our beer will be in cold storage. I'll also be keeping a cellar for vertical offerings years down the road.  

#14 Murphy

Murphy

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 12:03 PM

my biggest complaint in beer store and bars is a general lack of knowledge about what you sell, both specific beers and beer in general.  so I'd take the time to train the staff properly and maybe have someone from the different breweries come in and give a staff mini-lecture (if possible)

#15 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 16 October 2014 - 12:05 PM

I like when stores post the specs of the beer (ABV, IBU, SRM, style, etc.).

I am going to have to do some research on this but I am trying to figure out a way to be able to link an app to something on the shelf. Problem with this stuff is that there is limited space on shelves for information sheets. And when doors are lined with "shelf talkers" they start to look tacky and hinder the pulling stuff off the shelves. 

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 12:07 PM

I am going to have to do some research on this but I am trying to figure out a way to be able to link an app to something on the shelf. Problem with this stuff is that there is limited space on shelves for information sheets. And when doors are lined with "shelf talkers" they start to look tacky and hinder the pulling stuff off the shelves. 

Why not just a QR code near the bottle that takes you to a site with the info?

#17 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 16 October 2014 - 12:11 PM

my biggest complaint in beer store and bars is a general lack of knowledge about what you sell, both specific beers and beer in general.  so I'd take the time to train the staff properly and maybe have someone from the different breweries come in and give a staff mini-lecture (if possible)

Excellent...that was always my thing too. Luckily with this new company they also agree that knowledge is extremely important to gain those repeat customers. I will focus on having staff training sessions with distributors and vendors and I am going to pitch to the owner that I believe they should foot the bill to get my staff beer server certified by cicerone.  

Why not just a QR code near the bottle that takes you to a site with the info?

yeah that was my thought, I want to figure out a way to maybe connect with the untapped people. As of now their beer finder portion of the app only points towards restaurants and bars. 

All great stuff guys keep it coming, its helping get my brain moving. The out of the box kinda stuff is what I am looking for. 

#18 Murphy

Murphy

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 12:14 PM

yeah that was my thought, I want to figure out a way to maybe connect with the untapped people. As of now their beer finder portion of the app only points towards restaurants and bars. 

what about a link to beer cloud or beer advocate?

#19 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 October 2014 - 12:19 PM

when I've seen it it didn't seem a be a problem  it was a pretty small card stuck to the front of the shelf with the most basic info.

what about a link to beer cloud or beer advocate?

that was another piece of info I've seen presented, the score on beer advocate.  having the QR provide them with a link to the review of that beer would accomplish most of what you are looking for.

#20 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 16 October 2014 - 01:13 PM

when I've seen it it didn't seem a be a problem  it was a pretty small card stuck to the front of the shelf with the most basic info.

You'd be surprised what a PITA those things are. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users