#21 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 October 2014 - 01:15 PM

You'd be surprised what a PITA those things are. 

I just meant from my perspective ;)

it didn't hinder me in any way.  I'm not saying it wouldn't be a PITA for you :lol:

#22 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 16 October 2014 - 01:40 PM

I just meant from my perspective ;)

it didn't hinder me in any way.  I'm not saying it wouldn't be a PITA for you :lol:

heh...

I am thinking a QR code type of deal would be nice and clean. I am hoping that something can be built internally. Beer cloud is really lacking with their database as of right now. I also hate the Beer advocate site. The commercial description is often wrong, absent, or outdated. The ratings system is wonky and can be skewed by breweries and distributors who pay to downgrade and upgrade beers. 

We are trying to be an outstanding all around experience, very clean and organized. Every price tag in the store is going to be electronic to give you an idea. 

Edited by DaBearSox, 16 October 2014 - 01:42 PM.

#23 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 October 2014 - 01:44 PM

heh...

I am thinking a QR code type of deal would be nice and clean. I am hoping that something can be built internally. Beer cloud is really lacking with their database as of right now. I also hate the Beer advocate site. The commercial description is often wrong, absent, or outdated. The ratings system is wonky and can be skewed by breweries and distributors who pay to downgrade and upgrade beers. 

We are trying to be an outstanding all around experience, very clean and organized. Every price tag in the store is going to be electronic to give you an idea. 

I agree they suck.  I'm not sure there is a less sucky alternative unless you are going to make a site with all of your own information (which is very possible).

#24 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14713 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:38 AM

my biggest complaint in beer store and bars is a general lack of knowledge about what you sell, both specific beers and beer in general.  so I'd take the time to train the staff properly and maybe have someone from the different breweries come in and give a staff mini-lecture (if possible)

Don't put something on your shelves that the staff hasn't had the opportunity to sample.

I understand in the circumstances of ultra-limited runs of hard to get beers that you may not want to waste a bottle for this purpose.

#25 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:54 AM

I came here to say keep your beer chilled.  The newest and probably best bottle shop in town has almost all of their beer in a 50 degree walk in.  It is a huge room, but definitely worth it.  I will echo the freshness suggestions as well.  Stale beer sucks.  Although I kind of dislike growlers as a beer package, I would also consider getting a dozen or so draft lines from small CO breweries that perhaps don't distribute in Denver.  Or just one offs or whatever.  People seem to like growlers and grumblers (or grenades or whatever you call the half growlers), my only concern is that you need to drink them like now.  Oxidation happens fast when just poured from a tap.  There are some ways to purge and fill, beer gun or the like.  There is probably something more commercial that that, but do your best to purge those suckers.  As a brewer, I always cringe a little when people get a growler to go and we have to fill it from the tap.  I know it is not going to be as good when the drink it as it is coming out of the tap.  God help them if they don't drink half of it right away.  

#26 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:57 AM

I came here to say keep your beer chilled.  The newest and probably best bottle shop in town has almost all of their beer in a 50 degree walk in.  It is a huge room, but definitely worth it.  I will echo the freshness suggestions as well.  Stale beer sucks.  Although I kind of dislike growlers as a beer package, I would also consider getting a dozen or so draft lines from small CO breweries that perhaps don't distribute in Denver.  Or just one offs or whatever.  People seem to like growlers and grumblers (or grenades or whatever you call the half growlers), my only concern is that you need to drink them like now.  Oxidation happens fast when just poured from a tap.  There are some ways to purge and fill, beer gun or the like.  There is probably something more commercial that that, but do your best to purge those suckers.  As a brewer, I always cringe a little when people get a growler to go and we have to fill it from the tap.  I know it is not going to be as good when the drink it as it is coming out of the tap.  God help them if they don't drink half of it right away.  

I've heard those referred to as "squealers".

#27 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:59 AM

Ha! I haven't heard that, but I will add that to the list!

#28 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16612 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 11:24 AM

They're called Howlers. half+growler= howler

Edited by nettles, 17 October 2014 - 11:24 AM.

#29 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 12:03 PM

I have also heard growlerette

#30 Beerbecue

Beerbecue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationSierra foothills

Posted 17 October 2014 - 12:28 PM

Our local booze megastore (Bevmo) has a huge selection of beers from around the world but 99% is kept at room temp. I know it would cost the store a lot to keep them all refrigerated but they would stay much fresher that way. There's no telling how long most of their beers have been sitting around warm.

#31 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 17 October 2014 - 12:34 PM

The local store here in the Village has a "rewards" program.  With every purchase, you get a reward.   Accumulate enough rewards and you can apply it to a purchase.  I know someone that saved up a ton of them and cashed it in for an expensive bottle of whiskey.

Hire staff that is knowledgeable, but also friendly.  That goes a long way in my book.  

#32 TimE

TimE

Peacock Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3584 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 17 October 2014 - 02:23 PM

Excellent...that was always my thing too. Luckily with this new company they also agree that knowledge is extremely important to gain those repeat customers. I will focus on having staff training sessions with distributors and vendors and I am going to pitch to the owner that I believe they should foot the bill to get my staff beer server certified by cicerone.  

yeah that was my thought, I want to figure out a way to maybe connect with the untapped people. As of now their beer finder portion of the app only points towards restaurants and bars. 

All great stuff guys keep it coming, its helping get my brain moving. The out of the box kinda stuff is what I am looking for. 

I would throw a couple bucks to an app developer and have them build something for you that can be available in the Android and iTunes App stores.  You can include all of the QR code data directly in the app

#33 bigdaddyale

bigdaddyale

Linkbot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9528 posts
  • LocationCurrent: New Homoco, Texas. Past : Lugner Island

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:48 PM

Get involved with the local brew clubs.The local bottle shops gets a lot of business from my brew club.  He hooked up with a local taco joint and they do bottle shares and food pairings every three months.

#34 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9729 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 18 October 2014 - 07:30 AM

Another vote for knowledgeable staff.  I have been in premier-type beer stores around here and heard sales people tell customers things that were just plain false and stupid.  Makes me nuts.  People who know beer want fresh, variety, unique, etc.  However, I think as a whole, the market is still undereducated on beer.  Someone to really guide them through choices and help them understand beer would be a win.  To that point, stuff like this is done in bars, but maybe you could have a beer university program where you have a meeting, a short focused talk, and maybe a tasting.

Also, have at least one person experienced in food and beer paring.  I over hear a fair number of people in the store say things like "I am going to a friends house. He is a beer nerd, and we are having ______ for dinnner.  what should I bring?"  That and is there a good beer for holiday dinner. By the way Gulden Drak plus turkey dinner is teh WIN.

#35 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 18 October 2014 - 09:33 AM

Don't put something on your shelves that the staff hasn't had the opportunity to sample.

I understand in the circumstances of ultra-limited runs of hard to get beers that you may not want to waste a bottle for this purpose.

This will definitely be a focus of mine. I will be running staff tastings as well as schedule time for every distributor and supplier to come in and sample my staff on their products.

We'll have 60 doors plus a bomber walk in so the vast majority of what I stock will be kept cold.

Unfortunately Colorado does not allow liquor stores to have growler fill stations.  

Our local booze megastore (Bevmo) has a huge selection of beers from around the world but 99% is kept at room temp. I know it would cost the store a lot to keep them all refrigerated but they would stay much fresher that way. There's no telling how long most of their beers have been sitting around warm.

Plenty of space, we'll have beer warm on display but with the size and hopefully traffic these will be constantly rotated. 

The local store here in the Village has a "rewards" program.  With every purchase, you get a reward.   Accumulate enough rewards and you can apply it to a purchase.  I know someone that saved up a ton of them and cashed it in for an expensive bottle of whiskey.

Hire staff that is knowledgeable, but also friendly.  That goes a long way in my book.  

done and done

I would throw a couple bucks to an app developer and have them build something for you that can be available in the Android and iTunes App stores.  You can include all of the QR code data directly in the app

I am hoping I can make this happen.

Get involved with the local brew clubs.The local bottle shops gets a lot of business from my brew club.  He hooked up with a local taco joint and they do bottle shares and food pairings every three months.

Great Idea, i'll have to check into the laws and see what kind of space I have after construction.

Another vote for knowledgeable staff.  I have been in premier-type beer stores around here and heard sales people tell customers things that were just plain false and stupid.  Makes me nuts.  People who know beer want fresh, variety, unique, etc.  However, I think as a whole, the market is still undereducated on beer.  Someone to really guide them through choices and help them understand beer would be a win.  To that point, stuff like this is done in bars, but maybe you could have a beer university program where you have a meeting, a short focused talk, and maybe a tasting.

Also, have at least one person experienced in food and beer paring.  I over hear a fair number of people in the store say things like "I am going to a friends house. He is a beer nerd, and we are having ______ for dinnner.  what should I bring?"  That and is there a good beer for holiday dinner. By the way Gulden Drak plus turkey dinner is teh WIN.

I am going to be pushing to get all of my beer staff certified beer server trained through cicerone. I will also be having training sessions with them. This is in the vision of the store to set us apart from our biggest competitors. Luckily with my experience I will be the food and beer pairing guy but hope to have anyone on the floor capable of this. 

Here is a write up on the new digs:

https://www.examiner...ide-november-21

Edited by DaBearSox, 18 October 2014 - 09:32 AM.

#36 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 18 October 2014 - 10:39 AM

Don't think we'll have a problem with cold storage....

httpss://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-5VM98PD661w/VEKlXnRRdoI/AAAAAAAACIc/venpXNHBaok/w960-h540-no/d3.jpg

httpss://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-WT9rxLvqKrA/VEKlYMTRbDI/AAAAAAAACIk/F-6TKooRlyI/w960-h540-no/d2.jpg

httpss://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-yca-g7bL7lc/VEKlYdR8bnI/AAAAAAAACIo/PdWDDwnqMdc/w960-h540-no/d1.jpg

https://www.examiner...ide-november-21

#37 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 October 2014 - 12:01 PM

holy cow!  that place looks huge!

#38 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 18 October 2014 - 01:43 PM

Staff who know what there talking about and have big boobs.   Make your own six pack. 

This .

My local  (over-priced-liquor store) has told me several times they don't like the make a six-pack thing, "too hard to sell the beers no one wants ". Perfect  example of big breweries pushing there product . So i only go there maybe 4 times a year.

#39 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16612 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 02:06 PM

The "make your own 6 pack" beers are consistently the oldest beers on the shelf at the places I have shopped.

#40 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 18 October 2014 - 02:26 PM

Another suggestion... Link up with the BJCP.  We do training sessions once a month for people who are interested in becoming judges or even novices looking to learn more about styles.  IDK if you can host classes there, but even if you supplied the beer at a discount for the classes, you will win the praises of some seriously connected beer geeks.  The more you can do to immediately immerse your business into the beer culture the better.  Maybe even discounts for BJCP judges, or those studying.  

As to the MYO 6 pack, bottle shops here allow that from any 6er or 4 pack or whatever.  It isn't just select beers.  Beer is generally listed with a per bottle price, 4/6 pack price, and case price. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users