Photo
- - - - -

Ranco Digital Failure : Is my beer ruined?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 16 October 2014 - 06:46 AM

Just went down to check the pilsner.  The chest freezer was not running and the temp on the Ranco says 69.  I was afraid the motor on the freezer failed, so I plugged it in directly and it does kick in.  I'm afraid it is something with the Ranco.  A few questions in no particular order.

1.  Has anyone had this problem with the Ranco controller before?  The digital readouts and buttons still work.  It seems like there is some sort of failure with the probe.

2.  If the controller is not viable (i.e. cannot be fixed), what brand and model of controller do you recommend.

3.  Most importantly, what can I expect from this lager since it appears to have fermented out in less than optimal conditions?

#2 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10682 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 16 October 2014 - 06:53 AM

I have an old analog one but never a failure

I think the best way to tell is a beer is ruined is wait until it's done and have a taste

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 06:54 AM

How long had the lager been in there?  Was it fermenting or conditioning?

You can replace the probes if that is the issue.

I still like Ranco/Johnson controllers but Denny posted one a few days ago that looks nice and there is the STC-1000 option if you want to DIY it.

#4 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:01 AM

It was active fermentation.

Can you post a link to the Denny thread?

Now that I think about it, I'm not certain it is an issue with the probe itself.  The unit was registering 69, but was set to hold at 43.  Even with a faulty probe, the freezer should have turned on.

#5 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:04 AM

Replaced the board on a "new" Ranco bought on Sleeze Bay a while back.  Since then, no issue

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:05 AM

It was active fermentation.

Can you post a link to the Denny thread?

Now that I think about it, I'm not certain it is an issue with the probe itself.  The unit was registering 69, but was set to hold at 43.  Even with a faulty probe, the freezer should have turned on.

:crazy: sorry for your beer

https://www.brews-br...emp-controller/

#7 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 16 October 2014 - 08:23 AM

Just went down to check the pilsner.  The chest freezer was not running and the temp on the Ranco says 69.  I was afraid the motor on the freezer failed, so I plugged it in directly and it does kick in.  I'm afraid it is something with the Ranco.  A few questions in no particular order.

1.  Has anyone had this problem with the Ranco controller before?  The digital readouts and buttons still work.  It seems like there is some sort of failure with the probe.

2.  If the controller is not viable (i.e. cannot be fixed), what brand and model of controller do you recommend.

3.  Most importantly, what can I expect from this lager since it appears to have fermented out in less than optimal conditions?

I love the Auber I just bought an posted about here.  Much cheaper than Ranco.  It also has high and low temp alarms and you can set how it will respond if there's a failure.

https://www.auberins...products_id=334

Edited by denny, 16 October 2014 - 08:24 AM.

#8 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 16 October 2014 - 08:26 AM

If the beer was at least several days into fermentation then you might be ok. The beer might not be optimal but it might not be swill either.

#9 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:17 AM

Was over a week into fermentation, but as it was a lager, it was moving very slowly.

I'll still bottle it.  Just for kicks, we were planning on dropping a hop pellet in each bottle.  That may be more crucial now to mask flavors and aromas.  Of course, in the interest of science, I will have some control bottles that won't receive the pellets.

#10 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:25 AM

Have you ever put hops in the bottle before?  I wouldn't recommend it.  Huge mess IME.

#11 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:26 AM

over a week in?  my guess is it will be okay.

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:30 AM

I love the Auber I just bought an posted about here.  Much cheaper than Ranco.  It also has high and low temp alarms and you can set how it will respond if there's a failure.

https://www.auberins...products_id=334

Just one note on these is they are only good for 10 amps.  I believe the Ranco is good for 15 amps and I know Love controllers are good fro 15 amps.  Just something to keep in mind when you are choosing.  Make sure you know your application.

#13 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:36 AM

the STC-1000 is also 10 amps.  fortunately that works fine for me on my chest freezer and small space heater.  I guess some AC units might be over 10 amps - is that correct?

#14 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:41 AM

I'd buy one of these if I was in the market. It's a programmable dual stage STC-1000

https://www.blackbox...e/the-black-box

#15 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:44 AM

I'd buy one of these if I was in the market. It's a programmable dual stage STC-1000

https://www.blackbox...e/the-black-box

what is programmable about it?

#16 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:56 AM

what is programmable about it?

Fermentation profile. Change in temp over time.

#17 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 October 2014 - 10:05 AM

Fermentation profile. Change in temp over time.

that's kind of cool I guess but I'd still want to monitor what was going on.  I often change my temp settings based on what the beer seems to be doing.  it's not always so predictable that I could set a temp profile ahead of time.  I guess this would allow you to do a gentle temp change though which would be kind of nice.

#18 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 16 October 2014 - 10:14 AM

Have you ever put hops in the bottle before?  I wouldn't recommend it.  Huge mess IME.

I had a commercial beer out of Montana on an Alaskan Airlines flight once that had hop pellet residue in the bottle (yes... they gave me the whole thing).  It was a Pale Ale, but for the life of me when we returned a few days later I couldn't remember the brewery.  

I'll make note of your recommendation, but still would like to try it.  Is the mess on the bottling side or the consumption side?  I will try to document the process in pictures and/or video.  I guess I don't mind doing it now that the batch is already "suspect".

#19 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 16 October 2014 - 10:54 AM

I had a commercial beer out of Montana on an Alaskan Airlines flight once that had hop pellet residue in the bottle (yes... they gave me the whole thing).  It was a Pale Ale, but for the life of me when we returned a few days later I couldn't remember the brewery.  

I'll make note of your recommendation, but still would like to try it.  Is the mess on the bottling side or the consumption side?  I will try to document the process in pictures and/or video.  I guess I don't mind doing it now that the batch is already "suspect".

Mess is during pouring/consumption.  The hops disintegrate.  Good luck!

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 October 2014 - 11:29 AM

Mess is during pouring/consumption.  The hops disintegrate.  Good luck!

ever tried jamming a couple of cones in there?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users