#1 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:05 AM

Hey All, 2nd dumb question of the week. Was out of town and neighbor received a delivery with a smack pack. It's approx. 3 days out of the refrigerator plus a couple days shipped guesstimate.... So, how can I tell if I have a dumper? I intend on making a starter with this pack last week of October. Should I open right away and do some type of test and make the starter now? I hate to wait until brew week and find out it's bad and have to scramble....

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:07 AM

Why not smack it and see if it swells?

#3 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:08 AM

Okay and if it does, I need to make the starter NOW? Or if it swells can it simply put it in the fridge for a couple more weeks?

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:11 AM

Okay and if it does, I need to make the starter NOW? Or if it swells can it simply put it in the fridge for a couple more weeks?

Not sure about others but I smacked a pack about 4 weeks ago and did not get time to use it.  Fridged it and brought it out last week, made a starter and the beer took off in less than 16 hours.  The best part the yeast was about 8 months old at the time.  I am pretty sure your yest will be fine.

#5 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:14 AM

Okay, can't wait to get home now!!! Thanks.

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53972 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:49 AM

Yes, smack it and see how viable it is. My guess is that it will be great. Make the starter or put the pack back in the fridge if you're waiting. I am in the process right now of making a starter for some 2206 that has a date of November 2013.... I know. I smacked it a week ago and it sluggishly came to life and expanded hard. When I open it, I plan to take a good whiff and see how it smells. If I get any indication that it's no good, I'm shifting gears and adding some May 2014 WLP001 to the starter wort instead. Cheers Brothers.

#7 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:52 AM

Good stuff. I'm anxious to get my brews on. This week my long awaited version of Tater Ridge and the first week of November a Red Alt.

#8 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 16 October 2014 - 08:22 AM

Yeah, you can put it in the fridge after it swells, no problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users