#61 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 11 December 2014 - 01:06 PM

Why thought is what am I going to do with this vial of 644 now?! In any case I am over a month away from brewing this due to holidays and not having the hops till LP ships. So maybe by then they will come out and say exactly what this yeast is.

#62 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 01:09 PM

"Bastards" is my first reaction. When I buy yeast or bacteria I expect what I'm buying is what is marked on the label. If Lance is going to market something he better know what he is marketing and label it appropriately. 

With that said, we did a mixed fermentation ( well I thought we did a mixed fermentation) with a barrel brew we just kegged up. We used a Biere de Garde strain from BSI in primary then moved the beer to the barrel. We then pitched 4 vials of WLP644 Trois and let the beer age for a year in the barrel. We did get some more points from what we thought came from WLP644. I have the feeling that some of these tropical notes came from WLP644. Maybe I'm wrong about that. Maybe those extra points we gained in barrel came from bacteria that already lives in there.

I'm not going to use WLP644 Trois for this Brett IpA we have planned. Not until Chris and Neva post their findings. At this time I feel its a good chance what we are not making a 100% Brett IpA. 

Thanks for sharing Drez. What is everyone's thoughts on this? 

I am very curious to see what White Labs comes up with although the results so far look pretty convincing that this is not brett.

So with that said I think we need to come up with another plan for the yeast.  I have a couple of thoughts but I want to do a little research before I bring anything up.

#63 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 11 December 2014 - 01:13 PM

I am very curious to see what White Labs comes up with although the results so far look pretty convincing that this is not brett.

So with that said I think we need to come up with another plan for the yeast.  I have a couple of thoughts but I want to do a little research before I bring anything up.

I agree and cant wait to hear what you come up with. 

#64 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 11 December 2014 - 01:30 PM

Why thought is what am I going to do with this vial of 644 now?! In any case I am over a month away from brewing this due to holidays and not having the hops till LP ships. So maybe by then they will come out and say exactly what this yeast is.

I'm still going to make an IpA with it but I'm not calling it a Brett IpA that's for sure. It will still make a flavorful beer. I'm just upset we aged a beer for a year with this strain thinking it was one thing we wanted for our project and it turns out to be something else. I'm actually pretty upset about that.

#65 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 01:58 PM

I'm still going to make an IpA with it but I'm not calling it a Brett IpA that's for sure. It will still make a flavorful beer. I'm just upset we aged a beer for a year with this strain thinking it was one thing we wanted for our project and it turns out to be something else. I'm actually pretty upset about that.

Oh yeah I could see that, very misleading. How did that beer end up turning out?

#66 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 02:01 PM

My thoughts…I was making this beer to get the flavors the WLP644 yeast produces so I don't actually care which species of yeast it is.

I can see why BlKtRe is pissed though, in his case it matters, quite a bit. Lots invested in that beer.

I'm interested to see what Drez has in mind though.

#67 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 11 December 2014 - 03:54 PM

Oh yeah I could see that, very misleading. How did that beer end up turning out?

Excellent I think. But I'm confused on what we have and what made those flavors. 

My thoughts…I was making this beer to get the flavors the WLP644 yeast produces so I don't actually care which species of yeast it is.

I can see why BlKtRe is pissed though, in his case it matters, quite a bit. Lots invested in that beer.

I'm interested to see what Drez has in mind though.

JMcG made a good point to me about DNA testing is just now becoming more affordable. So there's that. 

Edited by BlKtRe, 11 December 2014 - 03:54 PM.

#68 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 05:29 PM

Excellent I think. But I'm confused on what we have and what made those flavors. 

I also wonder if this is a different var. of Sacc C. that has acquired the ability to do a continued fermentation of more complex sugars over the long term? And maybe that's why it was assumed to be brett in the first place? Dunno. Should be interesting to see what they find out.

#69 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:01 PM

Boom WLP644 SACCHAROMYCES "BRUXELLENSIS" TROIShttps://www.whitelab...esearch-results

#70 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:20 PM

BoomWLP644 SACCHAROMYCES "BRUXELLENSIS" TROIShttps://www.whitelab...esearch-results

Very cool. I'm still looking forward to using it.

#71 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:30 PM

Very cool. I'm still looking forward to using it.

I bet more will use it now knowing that it doesn't contain brett.

#72 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 06:13 AM

Well I have a vial and planned on using it either way. Glad they figured it out.

#73 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 10 April 2015 - 06:16 AM

I have an IPA going with it now. It was an old vial still labeled brux tois. 

#74 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 06:54 AM

Well I have a vial and planned on using it either way. Glad they figured it out.

Agree, not much will change for me but at least they came to a decision.

#75 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 08:55 AM

To get the most out of it what I really want to do is make the same IPA twice or split a batch. Once with a cleaner strain and once with this yeast.

#76 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 09:17 AM

To get the most out of it what I really want to do is make the same IPA twice or split a batch. Once with a cleaner strain and once with this yeast.

then you can end up with 3 beers.  Clean, Trios and a Blend of the two.

#77 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 10 April 2015 - 10:29 AM

Agree, not much will change for me but at least they came to a decision.

Ditto. The new name is still stupid tho.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users