#21 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 October 2014 - 12:10 PM

Id love to see how that is quantified. We are turning out some pretty good stuff this way.

how long is it from start of mash to "mash out" like temperatures in your setup?

#22 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 19 October 2014 - 12:11 PM

Id love to see how that is quantified. We are turning out some pretty good stuff this way.

Totally subjective, based on my own tastes and comparisons of the same recipe with both short and "normal" mashes.

#23 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 19 October 2014 - 12:12 PM

I am a pro brewer as well  B)

At the still I use US-05

At the brewery I use primarily 1084, but also American Lager (can't remember the number), and occasionally US-05

Guess I thought you were distilling only now.  Anyway, we don't deal with the mass that the big boys do.  I can vorlauf/mashout in minutes on a 10 gallon batch.  Not everything translates well.  I'll have to ask Drew how long it takes when he gets the new system dialed in at Braindead.  

And I'm with Blktre on time.  I've done 45 minute mashes that seem to work fine on my system.  Honestly though 1 hour works better for me.  I'm doing double duty through most of the brew day and saving that little extra time means something else doesn't get done.

#24 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 October 2014 - 02:40 PM

Guess I thought you were distilling only now.  Anyway, we don't deal with the mass that the big boys do.  I can vorlauf/mashout in minutes on a 10 gallon batch.  Not everything translates well.  I'll have to ask Drew how long it takes when he gets the new system dialed in at Braindead. 

that's what I'm sayin!

how long is it from start of mash to "mash out" like temperatures in your setup?

#25 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 20 October 2014 - 02:29 PM

This is a good point.  I don't start my clock till it is all in and it takes about a half hour to mash in.  That being said, occasionally, I will have a mash that the iodine test looks a little iffy on, so I will take it longer.  

Basically, mash in, rest 20 mins.  Iodine test.  Ramp takes 15 or so minutes.  Trasnfer to lauter tun, vorlauf 20 mins, runn off.  

#26 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 20 October 2014 - 02:32 PM

And I'm with Blktre on time.  I've done 45 minute mashes that seem to work fine on my system.  Honestly though 1 hour works better for me.  I'm doing double duty through most of the brew day and saving that little extra time means something else doesn't get done.

Yeah, I have been at the brewery a bit more than 2 years now, at the still for a bit more than a year.  It is a lot of work, but come on now.  DJ, you have known me for how many years.... no way I could give up an opportunity to do both!  I am hoping that I can do both for another 2 years at least before I have to make a choice.  Depends on who is offering what and where each company is.  From my perspective, the experience is invaluable and my resume is starting to look fantastic for someone who is almost 10 years out of college.  

#27 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:44 AM

This is a good point.  I don't start my clock till it is all in and it takes about a half hour to mash in.  That being said, occasionally, I will have a mash that the iodine test looks a little iffy on, so I will take it longer.  

Basically, mash in, rest 20 mins.  Iodine test.  Ramp takes 15 or so minutes.  Trasnfer to lauter tun, vorlauf 20 mins, runn off.  

So you;re in the conversion range far longer than 20 min.  That's generally the case when commercial brewers recommend a short rest.  My vorlauf takes less than a minute.  Form the time I start my mash runoff til the time I end my sparge runoff is only 15 min.  That's a big difference from the way you do things!

#28 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:58 AM

This is a good point. I don't start my clock till it is all in and it takes about a half hour to mash in. That being said, occasionally, I will have a mash that the iodine test looks a little iffy on, so I will take it longer. Basically, mash in, rest 20 mins. Iodine test. Ramp takes 15 or so minutes. Trasnfer to lauter tun, vorlauf 20 mins, runn off.

I agree with Denny, that looks a lot like an hour long mash. About 30+20+8 minutes in the conversion range. I was going to comment that 1.015 would be underartenuation in my brewery, but that's probably what you're shooting for.There was a nice set of experiments compiles by James Spencer, a while ago, that showed that starch conversion continued well after a negative iodine test, which doesn't measure starch that is still ungelatinized. That may be the ultimately limiting factor in starch conversion for a lot of brewers.

#29 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:20 AM

evil morty gets no respect around here!  I pointed the mash thing out back at the top of this page but oh yeah denny nailed it!  now you all know why I turned evil :angry:

Posted Image

#30 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:34 AM

evil morty gets no respect around here!  I pointed the mash thing out back at the top of this page but oh yeah denny nailed it!  now you all know why I turned evil :angry:

Posted Image

All hail Morty!  :)

#31 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:40 AM

All hail Morty!  :)

MUAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!! :devil:

#32 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:45 AM

I regularly do refractometer measurements during my mashes at ~5-10 minute intervals.  Conversion and extraction generally takes 45-60 minutes, but sometimes longer depending on mash temp (under 150 takes longer).  There's certainly continued conversion, but the gravity reading never plateaus until after 45 minutes.

#33 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:02 AM

I regularly do refractometer measurements during my mashes at ~5-10 minute intervals.  Conversion and extraction generally takes 45-60 minutes, but sometimes longer depending on mash temp (under 150 takes longer).  There's certainly continued conversion, but the gravity reading never plateaus until after 45 minutes.

This brings up a question. Do refractometers require clear wort?

#34 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:07 AM

This brings up a question. Do refractometers require clear wort?

By clear do you mean grain chunk free?  If so then I believe yes they do.  I know my digital requires a clear sample.

#35 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:28 AM

By clear do you mean grain chunk free?  If so then I believe yes they do.  I know my digital requires a clear sample.

Yeah grain and chunk free and really probably hot/cold break free too.

#36 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:52 PM

I recirc so it's very clear after ~10 minutes.  No issues with chunks at all.

#37 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:08 AM

That was exactly the trend that was seen in James Spencer's group experiment.

#38 dmtaylor

dmtaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationTwo Rivers, WI

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:37 AM

Man, that sure sounds familiar.  Did I mention I mash for 40-45 minutes?

#39 bigdaddyale

bigdaddyale

Linkbot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9528 posts
  • LocationCurrent: New Homoco, Texas. Past : Lugner Island

Posted 23 October 2014 - 06:07 AM

February 10, 2011 - Mash Time Experiment

Home brewer Charles Hoffman and James conduct an experiment comparing the effects of different mash times on a single recipe. Chris Colby and Kai Troester help interpret the results.- Kai's starch test page 

iTunes | Streaming mp3

Edited by bigdaddyale, 23 October 2014 - 06:08 AM.

#40 bigdaddyale

bigdaddyale

Linkbot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9528 posts
  • LocationCurrent: New Homoco, Texas. Past : Lugner Island

Posted 23 October 2014 - 06:09 AM

January 20, 2011 - BYO-BBR Mashing Experiment

James talks with Chris Colby, editor of Brew Your Own magazine, as they examine the data from the sixth BYO-BBR Collaborative Experiment.- Listener Data 

iTunes | Streaming mp3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users