Photo
- - - - -

Brewing a Sam Adams Boston Lager kind of thing right now...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53923 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 01:21 PM

I mentioned this beer in a THREAD that JP started earlier this year. I just got this 2206 up and running and it looks and smells fantastic in the starter, which is very active.

Sam Adams Boston Lager Kind Of Thing

7.25 lbs Best Malz Pils
1.00 lbs Munich 10L
14 oz Crystal 80L
.37 oz German Magnum pellets 12.1% for 60
1 oz Hallertau 4.3% for 10
1 oz Hallertau 2.7% for 5
1 oz Tettnanger 2.7% for 2
Wyeast 2206 Bavarian Lager yeast

OG: 1.051, FG: 1.012, IBU: 30, SRM: 11, ABV: 4.9%

Their site says that the beer is SRM 11, 4.9% ABV and IBUs of 30. I thought I remember seeing that they used a Bavarian Lager yeast strain (which could be any number of things) but I'm using the 2206 from Wyeast here. Mash temp of 150.6° single infusion. May not be exact but should be in the spirit of the original which I must say... when it's fresh, I enjoy it very much. Cheers Beerheads.

#2 dmtaylor

dmtaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationTwo Rivers, WI

Posted 17 October 2014 - 02:30 PM

That recipe looks very very close to the real thing.  I'll be using the 2206 when I brew my next clone attempt.  Good choice.  What can I say... 2206 is simply the best, why mess around with other lager yeast?  Unless you want to try dry, as the W34/70 is pretty dang good, too.  Cheers!

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53923 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 05:26 PM

That last hop addition is supposed to be Hallertau. I was originally going to mix Hallertau & Tettnanger in this and when I brought the recipe over from the other thread I forgot to change that last hop addition. So it's Magnum for bittering and then 3 ounces of Hallertau. Anyway, the thing the gets me about this beer is that it's kind of off the map style-wise. By the description of noble hops and Bavarian yeast, you would assume it's decidedly German. Yet it doesn't fit into German beer style that I know of. I know some of you hop heads wouldn't call it hoppy but when it's fresh, it has a nice noble hop character. It's clean. It's a lager. It's German and uses noble hops and Bavarian yeast. All good in my book. The color of the wort looked really nice and close to the real thing.

#4 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16612 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:46 PM

What sort of ionic content do you shoot for in the water for a beer like this?

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53923 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 08:45 PM

I would call it balanced. I have a bit more sulfate than chloride in my water and I added 1g of CaSO4 and 2g of CaCl. I don't have the numbers in front of me but it would be in the zip code of: Ca: 60-65, Mg: 12, Na: 13, Cl: 50, SO4: 45, bicarb: 138. I got my mash pH to 5.3 and the sparge pH was 5.4. I made my standard small starter and pitched into well-oxygenated wort around 5:30pm tonight. I just checked on it, gave it a swirl and got a nice bubbling so things are happening. The 2206 smells awesome and when the fermentation takes off, I'm thinking these late Hallertau additions will smell great. Cheers peeps.

Edited by KenLenard, 17 October 2014 - 08:46 PM.

#6 dmtaylor

dmtaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationTwo Rivers, WI

Posted 18 October 2014 - 08:35 AM

The BJCP invented a new style to fit SABL.  It is called International Amber Lager.  Look it up.  https://www.bjcp.org...T) (NOLOGO).pdf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users