9 replies to this topic

#1 Beerbecue

Beerbecue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationSierra foothills

Posted 18 October 2014 - 06:53 PM

I don't much care for any flavored beers. I'll have none of those pumpkin or spiced or chilied beers.Yuk. No smoke in my beer for me neither. Neither do I like Belgians or sours or anything wild or bretty. And no fruit unless it's a Lambic. It's Reinheitsgebot all the way for me. West coast style is best. I've drunk a million of all those American lagers and still tolerate them well tho. German lagers are ok. If I want to blend flavors with my beer Ill eat jerky with it or munch on pumpkin spice cookies while I enjoy my pint of blessed Ale. Well I'm 61 now and this added flavor movement in beer these days loses me. Just ranting.

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53929 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 07:33 PM

I don't think you're boring and I would say that I am very close to your tastes. I do not care for Belgians, stouts, porters, bourbon-barrel-aged this or that and I don't really make IPAs or IIPAs. I can drink stout, porter and IPA when I'm out but I don't want 5 gallons of it at home because it will take forever to drink it. I don't mind a wheat beer with lemon or raspberry and I do make a spiced pumpkin ale and a Christmas ale with cinnamon and vanilla although I don't make them every year. When you see people making Brett beers or a Brown Sour or something, just assume that there are various factions of our hobby who get into things that you do not. It's not an issue. There are a lot of brewers on here that like to make German styles and more straightforward beers like pale ales, reds, ambers, festbiers, blondes, helles, dunkels, etc. Follow the course... brew what you drink and drink what you brew. Cheers Beerbecue!

#3 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 18 October 2014 - 07:49 PM

Brew what you like, well said.

#4 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 19 October 2014 - 08:59 AM

I don't much care for any flavored beers. I'll have none of those pumpkin or spiced or chilied beers.Yuk. No smoke in my beer for me neither. Neither do I like Belgians or sours or anything wild or bretty. And no fruit unless it's a Lambic. It's Reinheitsgebot all the way for me. West coast style is best. I've drunk a million of all those American lagers and still tolerate them well tho. German lagers are ok. If I want to blend flavors with my beer Ill eat jerky with it or munch on pumpkin spice cookies while I enjoy my pint of blessed Ale. Well I'm 61 now and this added flavor movement in beer these days loses me. Just ranting.

I'm just a bit older than you and feel the same way...I chalk it up to the onset of curmudgeonhood!  In spite of the fact that I co authored a book called "experimental Homebrewing" full if strange ingredients and recipes, I distinctly prefer beer flavored beer.

httpss://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/1964805_10152740369964356_8154997404709592531_n.jpg?oh=679b92ce75e7129da9f41344e49d70d9&oe=54F27787&__gda__=1421272760_f2e1dd65054bbadf81614d690c55f61d

#5 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 19 October 2014 - 10:46 AM

Lol. Beer must still maintain its beerness imo.I like all sorts but I dont go for the crazy ones if they dont even pretend to be beer.Guy in my club made a vanilla porter. He was so excited. It tasted like vanilla extract and solventy. He was completely blown away with the vanilla flavor and aroma. I politely said that's nice and dumped it. If you want strong flavour in the beer make sure it's at least got some beer flavor

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 October 2014 - 10:50 AM

sweet/bitter orange peel, coriander - those are pretty much the only flavorings I'll use and I tend to use them very lightly.  maybe I'll try ginger some day if I get around to it.

#7 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 19 October 2014 - 10:51 AM

Lol. Beer must still maintain its beerness imo.I like all sorts but I dont go for the crazy ones if they dont even pretend to be beer.Guy in my club made a vanilla porter. He was so excited. It tasted like vanilla extract and solventy. He was completely blown away with the vanilla flavor and aroma. I politely said that's nice and dumped it. If you want strong flavour in the beer make sure it's at least got some beer flavor

I field questions all the tine from people who want to put some top shelf bourbon in my BVIP recipe.  I always tell them that the brand of bourbon doesn't matter...if you use enough to be able to tell what brand it is, you've used too much.  The beer needs to have an integrated flavor of chocolatey porter, bourbon and vanilla.  None should stick out.  Too few people seem to understand that concept.

Although I do love Belgian styles...one of my latest recipes is a tripel using caramelized honey and pink, green, and white peppercorns.

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53929 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 02:36 PM

Anytime I make something with a flavor (fruit, spice, etc), I always make sure that the recipe is formulated so that the person drinking the beer never forgets they're drinking beer. It should be beer first, then the flavor should lay lightly on top of that. Leinie's Berry Weiss comes to mind... tastes like a wine cooler.

#9 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

Comptroller of BigBossMan

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 19 October 2014 - 04:57 PM

Hey, you like what you like. Everyone's taste is different. I'll pretty much drink anything in front of me. Hell, I'd sip beer from a dead hooker's mouth, if it were free. That being said, I will default to the nicer end of the spectrum if given the choice.

Edited by BigBossMan, 19 October 2014 - 04:58 PM.

#10 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 05:00 PM

I"m a very traditional brewer myself, pretty much where you are too. That said, I do love me a good sour. Berlinner weisse specifically is awesome, but a flanders goes well with me too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users