#1 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 19 October 2014 - 06:17 PM

Like the title says... another APA from yours truely. 

12 gallon batch

TG 1.048

47 IBU

18 lbs CMC Pale Ale Malt

2 lbs Wey. Munich Malt

1 lb Wey Carahell

1 oz Columbus 14.8% AA @ 60

2 oz Centennial 10% @ 15

2 oz Cascade 6% @ 5

Whirlpool Additions:

1 oz Cascade

1 oz Centennial

1 oz  Simcoew

.5 oz Columbus

Let this sit for 30-40 min and stirred every 5 mins or so.

Fermented with 1272 = Yes 'Mercan II

Mashed at 150dF for 60

Edited by johnpreuss, 19 October 2014 - 06:17 PM.

#2 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 06:41 PM

I like it, looks like something Id make.

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 October 2014 - 04:40 AM

there are so many variations on this kind of recipe it's really hard to go wrong.

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 07:09 AM

Looks like a solid recipe.  Do you plan to dry hop it

#5 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 07:42 AM

Looks like a solid recipe.  Do you plan to dry hop it

I'm not sure.  I typically use a paint strainer bag for my hops and my last couple beers I haven't been too excited about the hop character... so I just threw them in the kettle this time.  God I forgot how much sludge you end up with.... especially with a half pound of hops in there. I'm guessing if I do dry hop it will only be half of it.  The first keg will be for research I'm thinking.

I'm sure most of you guys are like oh look another centennial / cascade / simcoe beer from this guy.... I was going to use Amarillo in this one but my brewing buddy for got and left them lay out for a week in his brewing area.... needless to say those got pitched in the trash...  This thing smelled great though boiling.  I did have a boil over when I tossed in my first late addition... I was setting the timer and not paying attention to the kettle... hop sputch all over the sides of the kettle.  I hope I didn't lose too much there.

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 07:45 AM

I'm sure most of you guys are like oh look another centennial / cascade / simcoe beer from this guy....

Not me.  I seem to find a combo I like and use it a lot.  I will add to it some of the new hops that are out that I feel will work well with them.  In this case citra and mosaic would have came to mind, Amarillo too but you already covered that :).

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 October 2014 - 07:53 AM

JP - do you really think I can keep track of all of the recipes posted in here and who posted them and then follow trends of those recipes?  :lol:

#8 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:49 AM

Not me.  I seem to find a combo I like and use it a lot.  I will add to it some of the new hops that are out that I feel will work well with them.  In this case citra and mosaic would have came to mind, Amarillo too but you already covered that :).

Don't be wrecking perfectly good beer by putting Mosaic in it.  I do like Citra, and I have been contemplating something new like Comet - grapefruit, lemon, orange... I'm good with those flavors... it's just the tropical fruitiness that I can't stand.

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:17 AM

Don't be wrecking perfectly good beer by putting Mosaic in it.  I do like Citra, and I have been contemplating something new like Comet - grapefruit, lemon, orange... I'm good with those flavors... it's just the tropical fruitiness that I can't stand.

That is how I roll.  I like both the dank/piney hops and the new tropical ones.  I think blended correctly they can all work excellent in the same recipe.

#10 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 08:58 PM

Kegged this one tonight.  The sample was nice, very nice.  Chilling it tonight and I'll get to carbing it tomorrow.  I'll report back later with the final verdict.

#11 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16630 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 09:14 PM

Did you/will you dry hop it?

#12 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 10:25 PM

Did you/will you dry hop it?

I may keg hop keg #2 of it depending how keg #1 tastes after its carbed.

#13 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 07:27 PM

I don't think I'm going to dry hop this.  I think that the hops straight into the kettle made a big difference. The hops are in your face, not muted.  There is a firm bitterness but not over the top.  The late addtions of simcoe and columbus balanced out the citrus... The munich gave it a lot more color than I had wanted.... I was shooting for something gold, More like Rebel IPA.... but in reality there is only ONE glaring problem with this beer.... it's going to disappear WAY TO FAST!! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users