27 replies to this topic

#21 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:55 AM

I recently did that with US-05 and S-04.  I plan on doing it with US-05 and BRY-97 soon.  I wouldn't want to compare more than one liquid yeast since I only have the equipment to make one starter at a time but if I did that could be cool.

stirplates are cheap to build and erlynmeyers aren't that pricey... or you can get the gallon of apple juice fromt he store and use that. Way cheaper than an flask.

#22 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 October 2014 - 10:13 AM

maybe in the future - i'm too lazy to make a starter right now as it is which is why I've been using dry yeast :P

#23 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 23 October 2014 - 10:36 AM

it would actually be easy for me to blend 2 5 gallon buckets into 2 5 gallons corny kegs.  I'd just transfer half of each bucket to each corny.  with my setup that would be very easy.

Still lacks consistency. If both fermentations aren't the same for a batch, what makes you think you'll get two similar fermentations another time? Obviously this isn't that big a deal for homebrewers unless you don't like the outcome for the beer.

I take pride in consistency and getting a product that is close to the best commercial stuff in quality. If i can't make the beer again, I'd be pissed.

#24 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 23 October 2014 - 10:36 AM

Our fruit farms switched to plastic. Also some of those 1g jugs have a rounded bottom which can be difficult for a stir magnet to stay put.

#25 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 October 2014 - 10:39 AM

Still lacks consistency. If both fermentations aren't the same for a batch, what makes you think you'll get two similar fermentations another time? Obviously this isn't that big a deal for homebrewers unless you don't like the outcome for the beer.

I take pride in consistency and getting a product that is close to the best commercial stuff in quality. If i can't make the beer again, I'd be pissed.

if the cause for difference is the trub that's getting dumped into one of the fermenters that should stay somewhat consistent.

#26 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 10:42 AM

if the cause for difference is the trub that's getting dumped into one of the fermenters that should stay somewhat consistent.

Lots of variables there. That's why I bought those white jugs with the red lids for 10 gallon batches. I was tired of getting 2 different beers all the time. 

#27 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 October 2014 - 10:44 AM

Lots of variables there. That's why I bought those white jugs with the red lids for 10 gallon batches. I was tired of getting 2 different beers all the time. 

I've only split a couple of batches that used the same yeast.  I never noticed a difference once I had them carbonated equally.

#28 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:34 AM

I've only split a couple of batches that used the same yeast.  I never noticed a difference once I had them carbonated equally.

Yup. That would happen too sometimes. Not knowing when pissed me off. Like I said, it's anecdotal evidence, YMMV. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users