• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 26 October 2014 - 02:45 PM

As promised, here is my recipe for Ravioli Roll-ups:

1 egg, beaten

1 container ricotta cheese (15 oz) - full-fat or part-skim work fine

1 bag of Kraft 5-cheese Italian Blend (8 oz., already-shredded)

Green onions, chopped - I use anywhere from 2-4 green onions, depending on size.  Use 3 to start and adjust next time

1 tablespoon Italian seasoning - I use McCormicks

2 jars spaghetti sauce - I use Prego Heart-Smart Roasted Red Pepper & Garlic, use whatever sauce you like best

16-18 lasagna noodles, parboiled (1 package worth)

Shredded cheese for topping - Parmesan, Mozz, or Provolone all work well

---------------

Heat oven to 375°.

Mix first 5 ingredients together by hand and mix well.  Store in fridge.

Cook lasagna noodle for ~75-80% of total cooking time (for Barilla, which calls for 8 minutes, I boiled for ~6.5 minutes), drain and lay noodles out flat on several cutting boards or a clean countertop.

Spread some of the cheese filling on to each noodle (using your fingers works better than a spoon); eyeball it and make sure each noodle gets a roughly equal amount.  Spread the filling out on all noodles before rolling.

Spread ~1 cup of spaghetti sauce into the bottom of a 13x9 baking dish.  Roll each lasanga noodle, and lay seam-side down.

Once the pan is filled (I can fit 18 rolled lasagan noodles in a 13x9 pan with no fuss), spread remaining spaghetti sauce over noodles.  Make sure noodles are covered all over.

Cover with shredded Parm/Mozz/Prov (1/4 to 1/3 cup total works well), and cover pan with aluminum foil.  Bake 40 minutes; remove foil, and bake 10 more minutes uncovered.

Once done, let sit for ~10 minutes (covered w/ foil) before eating. 

Note: this dish takes a long time to cool down (if left in the original baking dish) before storing in the fridge; if possible, separate into individual portions for faster cooling before stowing in the fridge.

Here's a picture for reference:

Posted Image

Bon apetit!

#2 Dave

Dave

Grammaraticus of Titty Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32475 posts
  • LocationLugnar Island

Posted 29 October 2014 - 02:49 PM

Thanks for the recipe, I'll be trying it!

Thinking about maybe adding some Italian sausage ....good idea?

#3 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:31 PM

Dave,

Italian sausage sounds like a solid addition.  If it were me, I'd suggest the following:

- start w/ ~1lb of sausage, (bust it out of its casing first), and cook in 1-2 TBSP of olive oil until lightly browned and somewhat crumbly, 

- remove from heat, drain out as much of the fat as you reasonably can, and cool down in the fridge for at least a couple of hours, (until cool enough not to melt cheese in filling mixture),

- then fold into the cheese filling mixture, then proceed as above.  (This could be done the day/night before and sit in the fridge until you're ready to make the cheese filling).

I think this way, you'll get some nice flavor from "pre-cooking" the sausage and ensure it will cook through in the oven.

I suggest draining as much of the fat as you reasonably can before refrigerating/adding to the cheese filling mixture, b/c I fear extra fat could make the cheese filling a bit runnier than expected during baking, (there's already plenty of fat in the cheese filling), and possibly lead to a disappointment at dinnertime.

Please let me know if you make this and how it turns out, I'm curious to hear how you like it.

#4 bigdaddyale

bigdaddyale

Linkbot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9528 posts
  • LocationCurrent: New Homoco, Texas. Past : Lugner Island

Posted 02 November 2014 - 05:29 PM

I made a lot of mods But it came out great.I grind my own meat and grow my own herbs

#5 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 02 November 2014 - 07:01 PM

I made a lot of mods But it came out great.I grind my own meat and grow my own herbs

Glad you enjoyed it!  :frank:

This recipe is great for tweaking: adding/changing herbs, adding meat (such as Dave described above), different spaghetti sauces, etc.

This recipe also keeps well in the fridge for about 3-4 days, and I've found it only improves with some time in the fridge.  After about 4 days, though, the raviolis can start to go south, though, so eat up.  :D

Depending on the crowd you're feeding, you can get 1-2 dinners and probably a couple of lunch-sized portions from a single batch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users