37 replies to this topic

#1 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 05:30 AM

Typically if I FWH I would throw the hops in before my first runnings but i am unsure how to do this with a BIAB batch.  I am guessing that after I pull the bag out and waiting for the wort to get up to a boil would be the time to add them.  Anyone want to confirm or deny my assumption?

#2 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 28 October 2014 - 05:51 AM

Cab neither confirm or deny, but it sounds the same.

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 October 2014 - 05:55 AM

you'll have a little less contact time before the boil starts but I'm guess the difference would be minimal.

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 05:58 AM

you'll have a little less contact time before the boil starts but I'm guess the difference would be minimal.

That is my thought/worry. Not sure if it is worth it or not

#5 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 28 October 2014 - 06:07 AM

Move the bag to the side and chuck them in a half hour before you start to boil.

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 06:13 AM

Move the bag to the side and chuck them in a half hour before you start to boil.

That is an idea.  I have to think about how it will work with recirculating though.  But it could work just fine.

#7 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 28 October 2014 - 06:17 AM

You could use a hop sack if you're worried about recirculating.

But they don't work too well with pellets. 

Edited by ChicagoWaterGuy, 28 October 2014 - 06:18 AM.

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 06:19 AM

You could use a hop sack if you're worried about recirculating.

But they don't work too well with pellets. 

I have a SS hop strainer that I use .. just have to see if I can wedge it in there with the bag.

#9 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16607 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 06:44 AM

I think any of the above suggestions will work. Or you could just take longer to come to a boil. Its been so long since Ive done it that I am trying to remember how I did it. I think I just threw them in as soon as I pulled the bag up.

#10 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 28 October 2014 - 07:00 AM

After he pulls the bag, can he wait say 15 minutes (or however long it would have been) before starting the boil?  

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 07:01 AM

After he pulls the bag, can he wait say 15 minutes (or however long it would have been) before starting the boil?  

I am pretty sure I can do that.  I can also just start the element at 50% so it slowly heats the wort up and after the wait is over put it to 100%.

#12 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 October 2014 - 07:30 AM

I am pretty sure I can do that.  I can also just start the element at 50% so it slowly heats the wort up and after the wait is over put it to 100%.

I like this option.

#13 dmtaylor

dmtaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationTwo Rivers, WI

Posted 29 October 2014 - 03:50 AM

FWH has zero benefits anyway.  Try a side by side experiment sometime and see for yourself.

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 04:33 AM

FWH has zero benefits anyway.  Try a side by side experiment sometime and see for yourself.

I have seen this said, read and listen to people talk about it.  Sometimes I still like to do it.  Reality is I have little free time to brew now, thus the BIAB, so a side by side is about 10 years away :D .

#15 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 October 2014 - 04:51 AM

well I guess it depends on what you call a benefit.  on one of the brewing podcasts (I can't remember which one) they were able to tell the difference between FWH and 60 min but there didn't seem to be a clear winner either way.  it's another way to hop the beer and I'd say unlike something like mash hopping (seems like you get very little out of the hops) there isn't much downside to it

#16 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 29 October 2014 - 05:19 AM

Benefit? Debatable. Difference? Definitely. The AHA conference had this experiment this year. There was a difference in utilization, bittering quality and flavor between FWH and a traditional 60 minute addition.

#17 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:00 AM

Benefit? Debatable. Difference? Definitely. The AHA conference had this experiment this year. There was a difference in utilization, bittering quality and flavor between FWH and a traditional 60 minute addition.

what did they conclude?

#18 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:13 AM

what did they conclude?

I'm guessing its a YMMV type of conclusion...

Let's face it, personal tastes are subjective.  What I desire and think is good in a beer is completely different with what my neighbor (who also brews) desires and think is good.

Unless there is something quantifiable, isn't this just subjective?  Or maybe I'm missing something in the potential differences that are indeed quantifiable.

#19 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:15 AM

what did they conclude?

The same quantity of hops yielded 25 ibus from FWH and 20 ibus from a 60 min addition. The FWH bitterness was less aggresive than the 60 min addition. 

Let's face it, personal tastes are subjective.  What I desire and think is good in a beer is completely different with what my neighbor (who also brews) desires and think is good.

Unless there is something quantifiable, isn't this just subjective?  Or maybe I'm missing something in the potential differences that are indeed quantifiable.

They measures ibu's at Founder's lab and ran the beers through their taste panel.

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:15 AM

see below.

The same quantity of hops yielded 25 ibus from FWH and 20 ibus from a 60 min addition. The FWH bitterness was less aggresive than the 60 min addition. 

They measures ibu's at Founder's lab and ran the beers through their taste panel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users