#1 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 30 October 2014 - 04:20 PM

I've been brewing for over 5 years now and in the past I lived in Apartments and townhomes and temperature control was a big deal... it was always warm where I lived and brewed.... Fast forward to now... I live in a home without a basement.  I have an insulated garage but I live in northern MN where it gets COLD!  I fermenters must live in the Garage, so what kind of things do you guys use to keep the fermenters warm where you are?  Belgian brewers you can help here too... I know the importance of higher fermentation temps for that type of beer to come out right. 

My garage is keeping around 50 right now with a base board heater going.. My last ale stalled out at 1015... I brought it inside with SWMBO permission to see if I could get a little more out of the yeast.  For now I'm going to brew a lager or two... but I will need me some IPA before the spring thaw.  Give me some ideas guys.

#2 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 04:24 PM

Brew belt heater or a personal space heater hooked up to some kind of controller in a chamber. Options abound. 

#3 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 30 October 2014 - 04:40 PM

Stc 1000 with fridge plugged in cold side, light bulb in the hot side.

#4 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 30 October 2014 - 05:06 PM

Stc 1000 with fridge plugged in cold side, light bulb in the hot side.

What size light bulb?

#5 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 30 October 2014 - 05:12 PM

What size light bulb?

Depends on how cold it's getting. Sometimes I use a night light, sometimes a 20W decorative bulb.

#6 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 30 October 2014 - 05:42 PM

We had some cold weeks for a while and I bought a $20 space heater. Worked great with a controller.

#7 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 06:17 PM

Your garage is going to give you all the cold you need. You can control how cold it gets or warm for that matter. Use an STC-1000 with an aquarium heater plugged in the hot side and the whole shootin' mess in a large bucket of water.  Aquarium heaters are pretty cheap on amazon. I forget, do you do 10 gallon batches John? If so getting a 200-300w aquarium heater or 2  smaller ones might be better with that volume of water bath. I do 99% of my beers this way on my basement floor. So easy to dial it up a degree or two here or there during fermentation to help attenuation.

I am going to make lagers this way in my garage this winter. Another week or two and my garage will consistently be 45F or colder.

#8 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19134 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 07:05 PM

I put the fermenter in a tub of water, and put a tropical fish tank heater with a thermostat in the water.

#9 bigdaddyale

bigdaddyale

Linkbot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9528 posts
  • LocationCurrent: New Homoco, Texas. Past : Lugner Island

Posted 30 October 2014 - 11:47 PM

Flashed STC1000 controlling a fridge

Posted Image

Edited by bigdaddyale, 30 October 2014 - 11:48 PM.

#10 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 31 October 2014 - 05:42 AM

I too have used the aquarium heater in a tub of water. It works great. I never needed to use a controller. The dial on the heater kept the temp right where I set it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users