3 replies to this topic

#1 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9736 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 08:36 AM

Anyone still use party kegs?  I realize most folks on here are kegging and have kegerators, but I was curious.

#2 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 31 October 2014 - 09:33 AM

I use a Tap-a-Draft pretty regularly. It works well, if you don't mind dealing with the cartridges. If there is yeast in the bottle, it is hard to change a cartridge without stirring up the yeast a little, so you lose some clarity after a change. I go through 2 cartridges a bottle, putting one on at the start and one half-way through, but mine is the old one that uses 8 g cartridges.Right after a change, the pressure is a little too high, so it works better to change a cartridge the day before you plan to serve it. A real keg system is more consistant and controlable. The party keg is fine and I get a lot of use out of it for small batches, but 1.5-3 gallon kegs have a lot of advantages as a compact system.

#3 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14610 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 31 October 2014 - 10:56 AM

I had a Tap A Draft for a while and liked it well enough. It was a great "in between" option that was relatively inexpensive.

I've used the party kegs to do "cask conditioned" beers. That works pretty well.

#4 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9726 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 31 October 2014 - 11:08 AM

Weird.  Just today I was thinking about those.  I have gotten a couple of the 1.75 gallon corney kegs from Williams brewing.  They are really nice ade work perfectly with my small batch brewing (1.75 gallons) but they are pricey.  I was wondering if the commercial ones could be reused and save a little cash.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users