Photo
- - - - -

So maybe it's time to try something different....

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 03 November 2014 - 05:16 AM

I know what you mean about the "Englishness" of Fuggles and EKG. However, there is a huge variety among actual British Bitters. Since it is difficult to be exposed to many, in the US, unless you live near Somerville, homebrewing is a chance to explore some of that variety. You won't go wrong with those hops, though, and I use them often in British-style beer. Just not all the time. One trick is to learn to use hops the way British breweries do, with some restraint. That is probably how they can use hops like Cascade and Mt. Hood and still make beers that taste British. That and using them alongside iconic British hops.

#22 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 11 November 2014 - 11:26 AM

UGH... Now I see this today.. and it looks tasty.

https://byo.com/stor...l-by-the-wandle

#23 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 11:40 AM

London Ale III in a Dark mild.  I use WGV for the hop charge

Kegging mine tomorrow :-)

Report back!

This beer has been on tap for a little over a week and is really nice.  Had my father and FIL over this past weekend and both of them really enjoyed it, my father took a keg home with him.  Nice fast, easy drinking beer.

#24 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:06 PM

UGH... Now I see this today.. and it looks tasty.

https://byo.com/stor...l-by-the-wandle

Do it! If you can source some floor malted MO for this all the better. I have used the Warminster you can get at NB. It has tons of big bready MO flavor. It's really nice stuff.

#25 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53516 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:17 PM

Never heard of Boadicea hops as mentioned in that article. Add that to the ever-expanding list of hops I haven't tried or even heard of. These styles are always great to have around and a nice bitter/ESB/EPA is such a great fall and winter beer. I just finished making some 1968 beers (one that is on tap now) so it will be awhile before I make more but I always look forward to making them and of course... drinking them. Cheers.EDIT: When I looked up Boadicea hops, underneath the description it said, "CUSTOMERS ALSO BOUGHT: " and listed Dana and French Aramis hops. Sheesh! More hops I have never heard of. Soon my neighbors will be breeding new varieties! :D

Edited by KenLenard, 11 November 2014 - 12:22 PM.

#26 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:18 PM

Never heard of Boadicea hops as mentioned in that article. Add that to the ever-expanding list of hops I haven't tried or even heard of. These styles are always great to have around and a nice bitter/ESB/EPA is such a great fall and winter beer. I just finished making some 1968 beers (one that is on tap now) so it will be awhile before I make more but I always look forward to making them and of course... drinking them. Cheers.

That is a new one to me but they look cheap $10.25 for a #.

Edited by drez77, 11 November 2014 - 12:19 PM.

#27 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:41 PM

That is a new one to me but they look cheap $10.25 for a #.

Don't bother with them Ken. That's a nice price but I'll bet you can get Belma cheaper.  :devil:

#28 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:44 PM

Don't bother with them Ken. That's a nice price but I'll bet you can get Belma cheaper.  :devil:

Only leaf though.

nettles - have you tried the Boadicea?  Not like I need more hops though.

#29 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:47 PM

Only leaf though.

nettles - have you tried the Boadicea?  Not like I need more hops though.

Nope haven't tried it. Was referencing Ken's history buying cheap Belma (I'm pretty sure that was Ken?) I don't need any more hops either. Have a large stock to eat up.

#30 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53516 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 01:03 PM

Nope haven't tried it. Was referencing Ken's history buying cheap Belma (I'm pretty sure that was Ken?) I don't need any more hops either. Have a large stock to eat up.

Yep, Belma. When I clicked on some of those HOPS OTHER CUSTOMER'S BOUGHT: hops, Belma came up a couple of times. I shrieked and then quickly closed my browser. :DI have been on a kick where I am using some hops that I have never tried before but that doesn't mean they're all new: Opal, Hallertau Select, Brewers Gold, Merkur, Australian Summer, German Hull Melon, Glacier, Mandarina Bavaria, etc. More like they were new to me but not new in some cases. In an effort to avoid being stagnant, I figure you have to try some new (to you) hops and see how you like it. Otherwise you envision a beer style and then just pick a hop that you know to use in that beer instead of looking at something else to use. Awhile back someone mentioned Santiam and Ultra as two "American Noble" varieties and I had never tried them. I really like Santiam and just used Ultra (the aroma from that beer is awesome) for the first time so it's good to try. Occasionally you will have a Belma moment. Oh well. They just seemed boring to me and didn't bring the strawberry-melon thing I expected. They were $5.25 a pound and I might have bought cat food at that price... and I don't have a cat. :P

Edited by KenLenard, 11 November 2014 - 01:06 PM.

#31 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 01:10 PM

Ken - how was the Australian Summer?

#32 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53516 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 01:21 PM

Ken - how was the Australian Summer?

In a beer-in-progress and I have not tried it yet. Smelled like hops when I used them. :D

#33 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 05:23 PM

I wasn't planning on using Boadicia... I figured I'd bitter with something neutral and then do the Fuggle/EKG thing.

#34 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 12 November 2014 - 06:49 PM

EDIT: When I looked up Boadicea hops, underneath the description it said, "CUSTOMERS ALSO BOUGHT: " and listed Dana and French Aramis hops. Sheesh! More hops I have never heard of. Soon my neighbors will be breeding new varieties! :D

I had a NB Aramis IPA awhile back and it was SofaKing® good. They used Aramis and saaz. The saaz was easy to pick out, the Aramis reminded me of Amarillo. Def on the "to brew" list.https://www.ratebeer...ale-ale/219179/

#35 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:55 PM

well it's on like Donkey Kong!!!  I just ordered EKG, Challenger and Northdown from Farmhouse.  I also threw in some English Crystal and a couple of packs of S04 because I live in NORTHERN MINNESOTA and I'm afraid my yeast will freeze on delivery... all 3 varieties from 45-150 L.  We move from here I guess.  Oh yea... I drank a sixer of Summit's True Brit tonight...it's damn good. I need the change from the C Hop craziness

Edited by johnpreuss, 21 November 2014 - 10:56 PM.

#36 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 06:48 AM

well it's on like Donkey Kong!!!  I just ordered EKG, Challenger and Northdown from Farmhouse.  I also threw in some English Crystal and a couple of packs of S04 because I live in NORTHERN MINNESOTA and I'm afraid my yeast will freeze on delivery... all 3 varieties from 45-150 L.  We move from here I guess.  Oh yea... I drank a sixer of Summit's True Brit tonight...it's damn good. I need the change from the C Hop craziness

Sounds like you had a good Friday night!

First Gold is a nice hop worth trying too. Challenger is next on my list of Brit hops to try. I've used Challenger @60 but not for flavor. Never used Northdown either. 

#37 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 12:12 PM

I really like Northdown.  I've used it in the past with good results.

#38 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 12:41 PM

I really like Northdown.  I've used it in the past with good results.

Like late for flavor? How would you describe it? Would you use it alone or paired up with others?

Edited by nettles, 22 November 2014 - 12:42 PM.

#39 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 02:34 PM

Like late for flavor? How would you describe it? Would you use it alone or paired up with others?

It paired well with goldings and late alone.  Earthy, herbal, "BRITISH" hoppy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users