#1 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 02 November 2014 - 05:55 PM

Got some saved W34/70 in the fridge. Finally getting to brew after my jaw being broken in August. Hopefully I don't re-break it like I did in September. I/m gonna be super careful.

How's this look? It's a variant on my Rye IPL which was awesome. Going for a golden IPL.

7 gal batch 1.065/65IBUs

I liked this water profile in my Rye IPL. Just right for my taste buds.
RO water. 65 ppm SO4, 60 ppm chloride, pH should be 5.3-5.4 with the acid malt(supposed to be 4ozs).

Posted Image

#2 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 02 November 2014 - 06:24 PM

I really like the looks of this.  I may have to try an IPL after my next lager.  I'm a huge fan of cascade so this looks like a winner to me. I do question the amber malt if you are going for a golden IPL... I have never used it but in the past I have had roasted malts give me dark amber/brown beers.

#3 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 02 November 2014 - 06:48 PM

I really like the looks of this.  I may have to try an IPL after my next lager.  I'm a huge fan of cascade so this looks like a winner to me. I do question the amber malt if you are going for a golden IPL... I have never used it but in the past I have had roasted malts give me dark amber/brown beers.

I went back and took a good look at it cause I couldn't remember the degrees lovibond it was. It's similar to biscuit, 20L. Beer should be 6L/burnished gold. My Rye IPL had a dry toastiness that I (think) came from the amber. I didn't want to go one-dimensional with the sweet malts.

#4 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 07:21 PM

Tell me more about Amber malt, I've never used it. And we don't get fresh Dogfish Head around here so I don't buy it.

#5 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 02 November 2014 - 07:54 PM

Tell me more about Amber malt, I've never used it. And we don't get fresh Dogfish Head around here so I don't buy it.

I've only used it in the rye IPL and what I got out of it was biscuit-like. I was told to use it sparingly b/c it's supposedly a bit richer than biscuit and can be overpowering.

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 05:16 AM

At what point in the process do you add the dry hops?  I like the recipe and have wanted to try making my own.

#7 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 03 November 2014 - 05:32 AM

At what point in the process do you add the dry hops?  I like the recipe and have wanted to try making my own.

I'll treat this like an ale. Ferment at 57F, d-rest at end of ferm, then dry hop for 4-7 days, keg. Put in the fridge while carbing and drink when it tastes good. I did a couple like lagers, cold crashed and gelled after dry hopping but it stripped the aroma out. I kicked around cold crashing after fermentation, gelling then letting it warm to dry hop, but ultimately thought it would be a waste of time and energy on a hoppy beer and scrapped the idea. Also didn't like the idea of all the cold/warm cycles. So, I just mainly use lager yeast for ale styles cause I always have some on hand and like the cleanliness of them.

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 05:47 AM

I'll treat this like an ale. Ferment at 57F, d-rest at end of ferm, then dry hop for 4-7 days, keg. Put in the fridge while carbing and drink when it tastes good. I did a couple like lagers, cold crashed and gelled after dry hopping but it stripped the aroma out. I kicked around cold crashing after fermentation, gelling then letting it warm to dry hop, but ultimately thought it would be a waste of time and energy on a hoppy beer and scrapped the idea. Also didn't like the idea of all the cold/warm cycles. So, I just mainly use lager yeast for ale styles cause I always have some on hand and like the cleanliness of them.

Thanks, that helps.  I typically use bio-fine in my kegs for a clearing agent and I have not found that to strip any aroma.  I will have to add this to the long list of beers that I need to brew,

#9 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 05:51 AM

What if you brewed like a lager, gelled etc.  Then keg hopped the last 7-14 days before serving?

#10 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 03 November 2014 - 05:54 AM

Thanks, that helps.  I typically use bio-fine in my kegs for a clearing agent and I have not found that to strip any aroma.  I will have to add this to the long list of beers that I need to brew,

Hmm, I'll have to check out bio-fine. Is that isinglass?    

What if you brewed like a lager, gelled etc.  Then keg hopped the last 7-14 days before serving?

That's a good idea. I have never keg hopped before though. Does it get messy with pellets?

#11 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 06:01 AM

That's a good idea. I have never keg hopped before though. Does it get messy with pellets?

I take one of my wife's old nylons and cut off the last 3-4 inches, sanitize, fill with hops, tie off with fishing line/nylon thread and hang it 3-4 inches off the bottom of the keg. 

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 06:16 AM

Hmm, I'll have to check out bio-fine. Is that isinglass?  

No, not at all.  What I do is ad 1-2 tbs in the keg prior to racking the beer.  Beer is clear in 24-48 hours.

here is the info:

A secondary fermenter liquid fining (mix in when transferring to a secondary) formulated from colloidal silicon dioxide so it contains no Isinglass (and unlike Isinglass, no animal products)

https://www.williams...LEAR-P2699.aspx

#13 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 03 November 2014 - 06:23 AM

No, not at all.  What I do is ad 1-2 tbs in the keg prior to racking the beer.  Beer is clear in 24-48 hours.   here is the info: A secondary fermenter liquid fining (mix in when transferring to a secondary) formulated from colloidal silicon dioxide so it contains no Isinglass (and unlike Isinglass, no animal products)   https://www.williams...LEAR-P2699.aspx

Thanks for the info. I'll have to pick some up.

#14 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 04 November 2014 - 04:06 AM

Doughed in thick at 1:1, 144F, pH 5.2. Gonna sit here for 30mins then add boiling water to reach 158F for 30 mins. So far, so good.

#15 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:25 AM

157F on the second rest, 173F after sparge volume added,. Drauflassen 1.5 gallon starter is on the stovetop beginning to boil while the second runnings are being collected.

#16 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:57 AM

are most IPLs fermented at something like ale temps (upper 50s)?  I thought they were just lagers that were aggressively hopped with American hops.  how would cold crashing be a problem?  doesn't the beer essentially get cold crashed when you chill it for serving?

#17 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:12 AM

are most IPLs fermented at something like ale temps (upper 50s)?  I thought they were just lagers that were aggressively hopped with American hops.  how would cold crashing be a problem?  doesn't the beer essentially get cold crashed when you chill it for serving?

They can be fermented at lager temps but I've found little to no difference in 50-57F with w34/70 and this style of beer--except it's done faster at 57f. As far as the cold crash/gel, it would look like this: ferment at 57F Let rise to 70F for d-rest chill to 32F, gel warm to 63ish for dry hop crash to 32F at kegging I don't like all those hot/cold cycles

#18 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:42 AM

They can be fermented at lager temps but I've found little to no difference in 50-57F with w34/70 and this style of beer--except it's done faster at 57f. As far as the cold crash/gel, it would look like this: ferment at 57F Let rise to 70F for d-rest chill to 32F, gel warm to 63ish for dry hop crash to 32F at kegging I don't like all those hot/cold cycles

Any reason why?  Not saying I agree or disagree just curious.

#19 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:46 AM

Any reason why?  Not saying I agree or disagree just curious.

I don't like the waste of energy or time, also the possibility of pulling O2 in each time the temp is dropped. The only reason to gel/clarify this beer would be cosmetic, so gelling just doesn't matter to me especially since I would likely incur hop haze when I dry hopped after gelling. It's a non-issue for me.

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:46 AM

ferment at 57F
Let rise to 70F for d-rest
chill to 32F, gel
warm to 63ish for dry hop

let cool to 63ish for dry hop
crash to 32F, gel, keg

why not do it like this?  (see edits above)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users