#21 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:51 AM

why not do it like this?  (see edits above)

Gel stripped the hop aroma out of the last IPL I dry hopped. I won't gel after dry hopping again.

#22 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16606 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:59 AM

Gel stripped the hop aroma out of the last IPL I dry hopped. I won't gel after dry hopping again.

This. Gel stripped away a lot of nice flavor for me. I dont think Ill use finings on an IPA/APA ever again.

#23 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:01 AM

good points on the gel.  I don't use it.

#24 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:31 AM

This. Gel stripped away a lot of nice flavor for me. I dont think Ill use finings on an IPA/APA ever again.

I am going to have to do a side by side with one bio-fined and one not and see if I can see a difference.

#25 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:41 AM

Finished up, cleaned up. 6.25gallons in the 8gal bucket and 1gal drauflassen starter. I can tell I haven't brewed in 3 mths. Forgot to take a grav reading and got busy while chilling and forgot the whirlpool addition till it was 115F--oops. We'll see what a lukewarm whirlpool does.

Posted Image

#26 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:45 AM

Is that a normal fermeter?  I like it

#27 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:52 AM

Is that a normal fermeter?  I like it

Not really. I found several at my local Tractor Supply marked as "3 gallon buckets with lid, $.99 ea, HDPE 2 NSF" They hold 8 gallons. Bought 3 of em 4 years ago. They have all cracked around the lip at the top of the bucket and won't hold a seal. It'll be my overnight chill bucket then I'll rack to an 8gal Vittles Vault. I've kicked myself for not buying every one of those buckets at $.99

Edited by chils, 04 November 2014 - 08:53 AM.

#28 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:57 AM

I think maybe I'll try an IPL this winter if I have a chance.  the problem is I have a lot of beer I want to make already!

#29 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:59 AM

I think maybe I'll try an IPL this winter if I have a chance.  the problem is I have a lot of beer I want to make already!

You and me both bro!

#30 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:01 AM

You and me both bro!

I'll just leave this here. Best beer I've brewed: https://www.brews-br...=indio-bavarian

#31 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16606 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:49 AM

I am going to have to do a side by side with one bio-fined and one not and see if I can see a difference.

I would love to see the results. Im tempted to do it myself but at the end of the day clear beer is just not important enough to me. If it takes a shred of hop aroma and flavor out I think that is going to be too much for me.

#32 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:42 AM

I would love to see the results. Im tempted to do it myself but at the end of the day clear beer is just not important enough to me. If it takes a shred of hop aroma and flavor out I think that is going to be too much for me.

I like clear beer and I like hoppy beer.  I will say with bio-fine I have got that.  That is not to say that it will not have more aroma without it.  I have also filtered beer and did not notice a reduction in hop aroma.

#33 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16606 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:58 AM

I like clear beer and I like hoppy beer. I will say with bio-fine I have got that. That is not to say that it will not have more aroma without it. I have also filtered beer and did not notice a reduction in hop aroma.

I have no experience filtering. I know I have heard Tasty McDole say that he loses hop character by filtering and he just adds more hops to make up for it. Im not going to go through the level of experimentation required to get that right. Would love to know what biofine does to hops compared to nothing.

#34 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:35 AM

I have no experience filtering. I know I have heard Tasty McDole say that he loses hop character by filtering and he just adds more hops to make up for it. Im not going to go through the level of experimentation required to get that right. Would love to know what biofine does to hops compared to nothing.

So I was going to do a 5g batch of bitter this weekend with galaxy but maybe I will do a 10g batch instead and try and do the side by side.  I can have family at Thanksgiving see if they can pick out any differences. 

#35 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 08 November 2014 - 08:49 AM

Was gonna update this one after pitching but I'm not the most prolific poster :)

So, 33hrs after pitching the drauflassen starter, it looked like this. It was harvested ~September 1ish.
Overnight into the morning, I had active fermentation on the full batch at 57F. She's still chugging along and as stanky as ever. I find this and 2124 have similar sulfury fermentation odors.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users