Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 05 November 2014 - 12:43 PM

Hi All,

Tastebuds are looking to make a malty American brown that half will have a little roasted peppery heat added to it.  I want to split the batch in this manner until it's tweaked completely.  I'm also thinking about a healthy dose of hops that will compliment the roasted peppers.  I only get a chance to do something like this in the "cooler" south Florida months where something a little heavier is most enjoyed.

6-7% abv

NO bitter roast flavor

(please)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers, Mike

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 November 2014 - 12:45 PM

I guess you are using something dehusked or midnight wheat for the color then?

#3 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 12:51 PM

I was thinking both midnight for color and chocolate for color and to also add a little smooth chocolaty flavor in the background.

Edited by Steppedonapoptop, 05 November 2014 - 12:53 PM.

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 November 2014 - 12:56 PM

I find chocolate malt to still be "roasty" which is why I avoided it.  unless you are talking about chocolate wheat which might suit your needs if you didn't use too much.

#5 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 12:58 PM

Never used it.  I have used chocolate and think a little won't carry over "too much" bitter.  No?

#6 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 12:59 PM

Red-X for base malt

6oz Chocolate

MW to preferred color.

I have no idea what hops would complement roasted peppers. Tettnanger/Santiam? Dunno, just a guess.

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 November 2014 - 01:00 PM

Never used it.  I have used chocolate and think a little won't carry over "too much" bitter.  No?

if you are light with it I think you would be minimal but you said "NO" which made me think you really wanted none, not minimal.  have you considered using some smoked malt?  it might go nice with the peppers.

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 November 2014 - 01:03 PM

I'd probably do something like this for 5 gallons

2-row base

2 lbs of munich

<= 0.5 lbs crystal 60

<= 4 oz of chocolate wheat

enough midnight wheat/dehusked black/etc. to get the color right

if you want some smoke in there replace some of the 2-row with 1-2 lbs of smoked malt.

hops I have no idea.  I've not really worked with hot peppers in beer before so I'm not sure how it would go.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 05 November 2014 - 01:05 PM.

#9 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 01:06 PM

I'd probably do something like this for 5 gallons

2-row base

2 lbs of munich

<= 0.5 lbs crystal 60

<= 4 oz of chocolate wheat

enough midnight wheat/dehusked black/etc. to get the color right

if you want some smoke in there replace some of the 2-row with 1-2 lbs of smoked malt.

hops I have no idea.  I've not really worked with hot peppers in beer before so I'm not sure how it would go.

That's not a bad way to go but 2-row isn't very malty, at least not to my tastes.

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 November 2014 - 01:07 PM

That's not a bad way to go but 2-row isn't very malty, at least not to my tastes.

that's why I decided to add in some munich as well.  at first I didn't notice that malty was what he wanted.

#11 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 01:11 PM

That would work too.

#12 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 05 November 2014 - 01:26 PM

Maris Otter, Munich, and/or Red X with about 8% Midnight Wheat and a higher Crystal malt at <5%. Slightly lower attenuating yeast, like maybe a scotch ale yeast that leaves a smidge of residual sweetness to play well with the pepper heat/flavor and some earthy english hops for a balancing bitterness but no flavor.

#13 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 01:29 PM

These are some great ideas.  Oddly enough my batch set for this Saturday is an "Alt'ish" Red X and that will give me a chance to appreciate its malt forwardness.... 

My current scribble has 2 row, munich, wheat, Midnight wheat and a little chocolate..  percentages tbd...

Wow, Schwanz took a nice stab while I was typing :)

#14 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:35 PM

Pale chocolate is nice for a toasty, mildly roasty, Chocolate Malt, appropriate for a Brown.  Brown Malt is another nice option, but some people don't seem to like it... Mild Malt is great for Brown Ales, use it like you might use Munich to bump up maltiness.

In a recent Brown Porter, I used equal amounts of a dark British Chocolate Malt, Roasted Barley, Black Patent and Pale Chocolate, to give a diffuse roastiness, without any one roasted malt dominating with a strong coffee or ashy flavor. For a Porter, of course, I wanted some roastiness, but I didn't want any acridity.

#15 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 November 2014 - 05:17 AM

Pale chocolate is nice for a toasty, mildly roasty, Chocolate Malt, appropriate for a Brown.  Brown Malt is another nice option, but some people don't seem to like it... Mild Malt is great for Brown Ales, use it like you might use Munich to bump up maltiness.

In a recent Brown Porter, I used equal amounts of a dark British Chocolate Malt, Roasted Barley, Black Patent and Pale Chocolate, to give a diffuse roastiness, without any one roasted malt dominating with a strong coffee or ashy flavor. For a Porter, of course, I wanted some roastiness, but I didn't want any acridity.

i forgot about pale chocolate.  a great choice!

#16 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 05:59 AM

Seems there's a whole gamut of options.  I also looked over Jamil's Janet's Brown in Classic Recipes.  Not sure of the hop combo against roasted peppers/heat.  But I don't think it would be bad either.... 

As always I value y'alls input :)

#17 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 10:04 AM

i forgot about pale chocolate. a great choice!

Mild and more strongly-toasty than roasty, it could work with peppers, even if I can't understand why someone would want peppers in their beer ;)

#18 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 01:52 PM

At a festival in Miami a cpl weeks ago there was a local brewer 4th Age, that had a beauty of a Brown with very mild but definitely there roasted peppers.  It was just real nice.  I'm not a fruit guy or a pepper guy really, that's why I'd split a batch and infuse only half with peppers.  But the combination was heavenly. 

#19 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 04:53 PM

I've only ever had hot pepper beers; I'm not sure if you mean to use roasted hot peppers. They were kind of interesting for a few sips.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users