2 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53800 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:58 AM

A simple beer with some hops I have never used. They are an American hop bred from Hallertau Mittelfruh and Saaz and I'm going to use them late in the boil.

Ultra Blonde Ale

8.75 lbs Rahr Pale Ale malt
8 ounces Crystal 20°L
.4 ounces Magnum pellets 12.1% (4.8 AAU)
1 oz Ultra pellets 7.5% for 5 mins
1 oz Ultra pellets 7.5% for 3 mins
1 oz Ultra pellets 7.5% for 1 min
Wyeast 1056 American Ale yeast

OG: 1.051, FG: 1.012, IBU: 33, SRM: 5, ABV: 4.9%

100% filtered water, mash temp between 150° and 151° and a water profile favoring chlorides slightly. About 1½ml of lactic acid in the mash water to target a mash pH of 5.2 - 5.3. This is the first run of some very fresh 1056 (popped the pack this morning and it's rock hard at the moment) so I will oxygenate properly and just pitch the contents of the pack as I have done many times. Should be a gold beer with some nice balance and a late kick of these hops. Also, the Magnum and Ultra hops both came from Farmhouse Supply and I am noticing that their hops seem quite fresh and aromatic which should spell OH YEAH! for this beer. :P

#2 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 07 November 2014 - 10:28 AM

I've only ever used them with a saison. They worked. 

I've noticed your beers are starting to creep up the IBU scale.  :P

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53800 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 11:13 AM

I've only ever used them with a saison. They worked.    I've noticed your beers are starting to creep up the IBU scale.  :P

I know. I originally had less Magnum and just 2 ounces of Ultra in there and I looked at it and said, #### that shit! and boosted it a little bit. Here's a funny story, I was at a decent beer place last weekend and saw a Steam beer and asked the waitress for one. She came back and said, "that keg just ran out... sorry". She put two taster glasses in front of me and said, "Here is a kolsch and here is a Three Floyds something or other... tell me which you like". So I looked at one and it was pale so I thought "kolsch". I tried it and it tasted like a hoppy kolsch or something. I tasted the other one and it was not very good. I told her "KOLSCH!" and she came back with the BLEH one. I said, "Hey, what is this?" and she said, "That's the kolsch!" so I said, "Give me the other one!" which happened to be Three Floyds Pride and Joy. I had them mixed up because one was pale and one was darker. The darker one was the kolsch and I don't know who made it but it was not good. I actually had never heard of Pride & Joy but I drank 4 or 5 of them! 5% and 42 IBU. Very nice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users