6 replies to this topic

#1 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16606 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 06:43 PM

Made this today. Motivated by the need for another low gravity ale for the weeknights and a pound of Santiam in my freezer. Trying something a little different here as far as the hop combination. This will likely receive a significant dry hop of the three varieties in similar proportion to the whirlpool addition.

6 Gal. post-boil

OG 1.043

SRM 7

IBU 34

94% Crisp Maris Otter

4% Victory

2% Fawcett C120

Mash @ 153F

Northern Brewer to 34IBU @60

50g Santiam in whirlpool @160F

15g Simcoe in whirlpool @160F

15g Amarillo in whirlpool @160F

WLP002

Lactic acid to pH 5.3, Ca-52, Na-08, SO4-90, Cl-30

#2 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 12 November 2014 - 07:36 PM

Seems like a great design for a light session. I can taste it all but what does the Santiam bring? Never used it.

#3 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16606 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 08:08 PM

Seems like a great design for a light session. I can taste it all but what does the Santiam bring? Never used it.

That's what I am looking to find out. My understanding is that it is Tett-like spicy and all but subtly American-ish too. Can't remember if it was someone here or elsewhere that said it takes on a little bit of citrusy cascade-like flavors when used more heavy handed.

#4 dmtaylor

dmtaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationTwo Rivers, WI

Posted 13 November 2014 - 06:03 AM

Looks like a worthy experiment to me!  I'd drink a lot of it.  I jotted down the recipe in my software for possible future use.

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 07:03 AM

My guess is that it will be a great beer but that the Santiam's character may get lost in between the Simcoe and Amarillo which are a little more robust in flavor. When I make a beer with Santiam, I usually pair them with other similar hops like Mt. Hood, Liberty, Vanguard, Crystal, etc. or I use something like Magnum for bittering and then use only Santiam late so you get all Santiam. Still... looks like something I would make and it will be very good, IMO.

#6 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16606 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 07:17 AM

My guess is that it will be a great beer but that the Santiam's character may get lost in between the Simcoe and Amarillo which are a little more robust in flavor. When I make a beer with Santiam, I usually pair them with other similar hops like Mt. Hood, Liberty, Vanguard, Crystal, etc. or I use something like Magnum for bittering and then use only Santiam late so you get all Santiam. Still... looks like something I would make and it will be very good, IMO.

That was my guess too and why I emphasized the Santiam over the other two. Hopefully it was enough. I am thinking of a dry hop of 1/2oz each of Simcoe/Amarillo and 2.5oz of Santiam to help back that up.

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 08:09 AM

That was my guess too and why I emphasized the Santiam over the other two. Hopefully it was enough. I am thinking of a dry hop of 1/2oz each of Simcoe/Amarillo and 2.5oz of Santiam to help back that up.

Yep, that should be good. I didn't mean to suggest that the Santiam would be misused this way... I think they will play nicely with the other hops because they're not going to take anything away or clash with them. I remember posting a recipe a looooong time ago where I bittered with Mt. Hood and then added Cascades late in the boil. A few people said, Why would you waste the Mt. Hoods like that and cover them up with Cascade? At first I was all, Don't tell *ME* what to do! but eventually I realized what they were saying. Some of the more refined, noble, American-noble hops should be left to do their thing on their own so that their smooth character comes through in the final beer without interference from more aggressive hops. It's just one way of looking at it and certainly personal preference. All said, it will be a very nice beer to be sure and I would be happy to have a glass of it (or 5) in my hand! :P I have an Amber Ale that I am kegging today where it was Magnum to bitter and then a bunch of late Mt. Hood and Santiam. Another beer I recently made was Magnum plus 3 ounces of late Ultra by themselves so I could really get a feel for their character.

Edited by KenLenard, 13 November 2014 - 08:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users