#21 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 November 2014 - 04:38 AM

I really enjoy that strain and need to try it more. I think it has been reported BRY-97 Is the same strain on dry form.

it has been.  although I'm not sure how much echo chamber we are experiencing on that one.  we may all be saying it back to each other from a common source.  I know I've heard denny say it's 1272. 

#22 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 15 November 2014 - 07:36 AM

W34/70 dry lager yeast. I've heard it's WY2124/WLP830. I've fermented with it from 50F all the way up to 68F, lagers to clean ale styles. Throws minimal esters at 68F, less than S-05, and makes a better ale than any clean ale yeasts (to my palate).I've fermented most clean lager styles with it--pils, dunkel, schwarzbier, as well as IPA/APA, porter, wheat beer, fruit beer.I don't like it for Czech lager though--too clean.

#23 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 15 November 2014 - 10:37 AM

it has been.  although I'm not sure how much echo chamber we are experiencing on that one.  we may all be saying it back to each other from a common source.  I know I've heard denny say it's 1272. 

Supposedly, BRY97 comes from 1272.  User reports, though, are mixed on the 97 and almost universally positive for 1272.  Probably one of those small mutations that happens when going from liquid to dry, like 1056 and 05.

#24 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 15 November 2014 - 12:10 PM

The house yeast you use depends on what you make. Some are going to work better for hop-centric beers and others for malt-centric ones. I favor WLP011 for clean beers, but I wouldn't choose it if I made primarily hop-forward beers. It's a great choice for malty ales and it's the closest thing I have to a house ale yeast.

W34/70 dry lager yeast. I've heard it's WY2124/WLP830. I've fermented with it from 50F all the way up to 68F, lagers to clean ale styles. Throws minimal esters at 68F, less than S-05, and makes a better ale than any clean ale yeasts (to my palate).I've fermented most clean lager styles with it--pils, dunkel, schwarzbier, as well as IPA/APA, porter, wheat beer, fruit beer.I don't like it for Czech lager though--too clean.

Wy2124 and WLP830 make great clean yeasts at cool ale temperatures. They would be great choices for hop-centric beers, in place of 001/US56. Probably cleaner and better flocking and similarly fool-proof. I've also used them for Pale Ales, Brown Ales and Porters.

WLP051 is a great clean ale yeast without the flocculation problems of US56 and better flavor, I feel. I particularly like they way it compliments the traditional American hop flavors.

#25 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 17 November 2014 - 07:41 AM

House yeasts would be 2308 for lagers and 05 for ales but would like to switch that to 001. Most used yeasts after these would be 1007 and 3724.

#26 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 09:41 AM

I always have the damnedest time getting 05 to drop. I generally only use it when I know I'm going to be dryhopping and don't want to dry hop on yeast I'm going to repitch later.

#27 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 17 November 2014 - 10:17 AM

I always have the damnedest time getting 05 to drop. I generally only use it when I know I'm going to be dryhopping and don't want to dry hop on yeast I'm going to repitch later.

I use gelatin in the keg and it drops bright in a few days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users