Photo
- - - - -

Any new gadgets or gizmos in the HB scene?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 10:02 AM

It's been a while since I've come across a new piece of equipment or tool that's changed my brew day. Anyone seen anything or got a new piece of equipment that's changed your game? My last game changer was the whirlpool IC with a pump. Blichmann's got some new stuff coming out, but I haven't seen anything that's been a no brainer for my system.

#2 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10722 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 14 November 2014 - 10:08 AM

not quite a game changer, but I switched from glass carboys to the plastic speidel fermenters featured by morebeer. I like the extra headspace, easy cleaning and siphonless racking to keg when it's done. Carrying them to by basement brew room is also a dream compared to the glass carboys.

I like the look of the plastic conical (fast ferment) but it does not appear to fit in my fermentation chamber and is a little pricey

#3 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 10:11 AM

Awesome, I haven't seen those yet. I've got 12 better bottles, so it's been a while since I've checked out more fermenters

#4 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 14 November 2014 - 04:02 PM

not quite a game changer, but I switched from glass carboys to the plastic speidel fermenters featured by morebeer. I like the extra headspace, easy cleaning and siphonless racking to keg when it's done. Carrying them to by basement brew room is also a dream compared to the glass carboys.

I like the look of the plastic conical (fast ferment) but it does not appear to fit in my fermentation chamber and is a little pricey

Those do look pretty bad ass. I'm due for some new fermenters.

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53911 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 04:12 PM

On the topic of glass... I stopped using glass altogether. Plastic primaries and Better Bottles for secondary. Glass and I have a special understanding... we stay away from each other. I do like the new BIG MOUTH fermenters and could see getting one or two.Let me ask this one: When I'm done chilling I set my BK in the sink with some ice and water and then rack from brewpot to primary. Depending on the beer and how many hops were used, I get a certain amount of clear wort and then I start sucking schputz (sounds like a topic in the PH!)... most of which ends up in a strainer but I'd love to find a way around that issue. I know some people use a "hop bag" in the boil and I think I tried it a couple times and my memory tells me that the bag opened up mid-boil. <_<

#6 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 14 November 2014 - 04:36 PM

On the topic of glass... I stopped using glass altogether. Plastic primaries and Better Bottles for secondary. Glass and I have a special understanding... we stay away from each other. I do like the new BIG MOUTH fermenters and could see getting one or two.Let me ask this one: When I'm done chilling I set my BK in the sink with some ice and water and then rack from brewpot to primary. Depending on the beer and how many hops were used, I get a certain amount of clear wort and then I start sucking schputz (sounds like a topic in the PH!)... most of which ends up in a strainer but I'd love to find a way around that issue. I know some people use a "hop bag" in the boil and I think I tried it a couple times and my memory tells me that the bag opened up mid-boil. <_<

Whirlpool.

#7 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16608 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 05:50 PM

Whirlpool.

Yeah this. Do you whirlpool Ken?Or... Dont worry about it. I made a black IPA with 6oz hops in the whirlpool and nothing to hold them back. Tons ended up in the fermentor and then it got dry hopped in primary with another 4oz. Best hoppy beer I have made. I fully expected something to be off but there wasnt anything at all.

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53911 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:10 PM

I stir when I chill... is that what you mean? I end up with a mountain of hops in the middle of the BK but I still end up picking them up.

#9 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:19 PM

I stir when I chill... is that what you mean? I end up with a mountain of hops in the middle of the BK but I still end up picking them up.

Ken,

I use 2 paint-strainer bags (one inside the other), suspended inside my Ale Pail fermenters.

I dump the whole boil kettle's worth of wort into the Ale Pail, then lift out the paint-strainer bags and let the bags drain dry (usually to an even 5.5 gallons in the fermenter). 

They do a nice job of filtering out all of the solids (trub, hops, etc).  The wort coming through the bags is almost always super clear, too.

I mainly use pellet hops in my brewery, and this setup has worked well for me for ~7-8 years.

#10 codemonkey

codemonkey

Ass. Comptroller of Ferthdays

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18916 posts
  • LocationMy suburban paradise

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:24 PM

When I first started brewing money was a lot tighter so I didn't buy a lot of the typical gadgets. When I got back into it I picked up a refractometer, pH meter, ,oxygenation kit and more. Funny thing is that after the honeymoon phase I don't really use any of them but the refractometer. Probably the single biggest improvement was the garden hose fittings for my homemade IC. Don't know why I cheaped out on those, it's so much better than cranking down hose clamps and leaking water all over the place.

I've got my eye on a pump, but that means I need to spend more to take advantage of it - valves, fittings and maybe even a therminator. Seems to me, though, that money spent on fermentation has the better ROI. 

#11 bigdaddyale

bigdaddyale

Linkbot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9528 posts
  • LocationCurrent: New Homoco, Texas. Past : Lugner Island

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:32 PM

STC1000+ for fermentation control

https://www.homebrew...-1000-a-464348/

#12 Clintama

Clintama

No Life

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30244 posts
  • LocationRight Here

Posted 15 November 2014 - 07:09 AM

Posted Image

A sprinkler riser with a hose on one end and a 360 degree spray head on the other. Great for rinsing out kegs and fermenters. 

#13 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 08:43 AM

Posted Image

A sprinkler riser with a hose on one end and a 360 degree spray head on the other. Great for rinsing out kegs and fermenters. 

Now only if someone came out with one of those in SS. :D

#14 Clintama

Clintama

No Life

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30244 posts
  • LocationRight Here

Posted 15 November 2014 - 09:06 AM

Now only if someone came out with one of those in SS. :D

Is there one made in SS?I really wanted one of those SS rotating balls, but they are too expensive fo me.

#15 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 04:01 PM

Is there one made in SS?I really wanted one of those SS rotating balls, but they are too expensive fo me.

Maybe, ask Schwanz. https://www.brews-br...=secret project

#16 bigdaddyale

bigdaddyale

Linkbot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9528 posts
  • LocationCurrent: New Homoco, Texas. Past : Lugner Island

Posted 15 November 2014 - 10:54 PM

did he ever tell us what his secret ingredient was

#17 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16608 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 12:07 AM

did he ever tell us what his secret ingredient was

Bitches and honey

#18 Clintama

Clintama

No Life

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30244 posts
  • LocationRight Here

Posted 16 November 2014 - 04:39 AM

Yup, that's the same concept, but mine is easy to make and cheap, plus I get a 360 degree spray pattern, Could I run a really hot solution through it? Doubtful. The wand is painted aluminum, but the spray head is a standard plastic irrigation head. I think I paid $5 for the wand and probably another $5 for the spray head, hose QD and needed fittings. It works really well for rinsing.

The problem with trying to market a special product to homebrewers, is that they're inherently DIYer's, so they'll figure out a cheap way at the hardware store to accomplish the same thing and then share it in on the internet.  I have a neat little design for an easy to use, single line, counter pressure, PET bottle filler. However, anyone can buy the parts and make one themselves. 

#19 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:19 AM

Yup, that's the same concept, but mine is easy to make and cheap, plus I get a 360 degree spray pattern, Could I run a really hot solution through it? Doubtful. The wand is painted aluminum, but the spray head is a standard plastic irrigation head. I think I paid $5 for the wand and probably another $5 for the spray head, hose QD and needed fittings. It works really well for rinsing.

The problem with trying to market a special product to homebrewers, is that they're inherently DIYer's, so they'll figure out a cheap way at the hardware store to accomplish the same thing and then share it in on the internet.  I have a neat little design for an easy to use, single line, counter pressure, PET bottle filler. However, anyone can buy the parts and make one themselves. 

Very true and I think why he never went through with it.

#20 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 18 November 2014 - 10:43 AM

I tried hooking one of my stainless sprayers up to a pressure washer and it bent about 110 degrees. It never did work well as intended. Plus they were expensive to make. Not worth continuing to pursue.

On the ingredient thing... my next beer will use the ingredient, but it will be fresh cut and hopefully a better brew day, plus use lessons learned from the first time using the ingredient. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users