#21 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 November 2014 - 08:53 AM

Sounds like your Barley Crusher is in need of a manufacturer tune up.  Let me save you some time and cut and paste what he initially sent me when I emailed him about a similar problem:

[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]A couple things I would suggest to try is to take a wire brush to the rollers.This will remove any residue that may have built up over past batches.You can also try to take the mill apart and give it a good cleaning. ( no water)  try wiping the  end of the rollers and the side plates off and reassembling the mill. sometime dust and residue will build up between the rollers and the side plate that will make the idle roller stick. If you do take the mill apart  to clean it, one other thing you can do is spin the idle roller 180 degrees, so the side that's on the right is now on the left.If the knurl on the roller is starting to get dull they tend to dull more on one side than the other. So spinning the roller around will  give that roller a somewhat  fresh knurl.[/font]

After doing what he instructed to no avail, he told me to take off the base and the hopper and send him the mill at this address:

[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]B C Products Enterprises Inc[/font]
[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]430 Capac Rd[/font]
[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]Berlin Mi[/font]
[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]48002[/font]

then what happened?

#22 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 09:17 AM

Hmm, interesting. I will try to examine it closer and maybe take a paintbrush or pipe-cleaner kind-of-thing to it to see if something is lodged in there. This thing has performed pretty flawlessly and it sits in the garage ALL THE TIME so I'm not exactly snuggling with it. Thanks for the post, PASSLAKU!

#23 passlaku

passlaku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationFlorence Alabama

Posted 17 November 2014 - 09:59 AM

I sent it back to BC and in about 3 weeks they shipped it back.  Works pretty well now.  I have a thread about it here:

https://www.brews-br...en-fixed/page-2

#24 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 17 November 2014 - 07:49 PM

I highly doubt Ken's mill is getting dull.  He just got it this past year.  I know he brews more than most but that mill has gotta be just about new.

#25 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 November 2014 - 05:59 AM

I highly doubt Ken's mill is getting dull.  He just got it this past year.  I know he brews more than most but that mill has gotta be just about new.

true.

not sure if ken has checked this but perhaps he should feel how hard it is to roll his free roller.

#26 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 07:12 AM

Right... my mill might be 18 months old or something. I don't remember how long I have had it but it has relatively low miles. I would take a look at it but it's 'dusty' and I don't really want to bring it inside. It's also about 9° outside right now and I don't want to go into the garage. :D I will check it when I can and see what's up.

#27 passlaku

passlaku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationFlorence Alabama

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:22 AM

I had mine for over 3 years before it started acting up.  Probably just needs a good cleaning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users