Photo
- - - - -

Who has used the German Hull Melon hops?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 04:16 PM

... and how did you use them? Yesterday I made a pale ale (Rahr Pale Ale malt, 8 ounces of C40, OG of about 1.052) with Columbus to bitter, more Columbus at 20 and then the Hull Melon hops at 5 and 2. 40 IBUs. White Labs 01 on the yeast. The Columbus and HM hops seem to play nicely together and the aroma from the airlock is very nice. I could see these being used in a nice summery Blonde ale or maybe an American Wheat. I think they will be nice in a pale ale as an alternative to Amarillo, Citra, Mosaic, etc. They definitely have some honeydew character but I detect some citrus in there too. Should be very nice. Cheers.

#2 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 17 November 2014 - 06:52 AM

Where did you find these hops? tell us more.

edit:

And i see Bell's has them . I might get up there in a week or two.Or not. there sold out for the year. :(

Edited by Kegdude, 17 November 2014 - 06:57 AM.

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 07:01 AM

I think I got these at my LHBS but they are available at many of the online suppliers too. I have been on a kick to try some new hops and these were some of them. There is more HERE. They are the daughter of Cascade which explains some of the citrus I'm getting but they also have a bright, refreshing melon thing going on. I used them as I might use Amarillo, Citra, Galaxy, Nelson and some of these newly-released fruity, tropical hops... in a mildly hopbursted APA. I think I applied these in a good way but when I smelled them going into the boil and now while they're fermenting, I envisioned a pale & refreshing summer beer. Also, I didn't realize it originally but the two ounces I picked up (packed in HopUnion bags) were different AA%... 5.8% and 6.3%. Very nice hop.

Edited by KenLenard, 17 November 2014 - 07:02 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users