25 replies to this topic

#1 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 06:05 AM

Anyone give this a try?  Sounds like 1056 but with better flocculation.

This strain is ideally suited to the production of west-coast style American craft beers, especially pale, IPA, red, and specialties. Thorough attenuation, temp tolerance, and good flocculation make this an easy strain to work with. Flavor is balanced neutral with mild ester formation at warmer temps, allowing hops, character malts, and flavorings to show through.

• Flocculation: Medium-High - Attenuation: 73-80%
  • Temperature Range: 62-74F
  • Alcohol Tolerance: 10% ABV

#2 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16606 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 06:14 AM

I've been tempted to. But my thoughts were that after a few batches when I have finally figured out wether or not I like it better than 1056/1272/1450 it will no longer be available and make it irrelevant. It's hard to believe it would be a game changer above and beyond 1056/1272/1450. But who knows? Seems like the more characterful belgian/english PC yeasts offer more potential to give you something significantly different that what's in their full time lineup of yeasts. 

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 November 2014 - 06:43 AM

is this one of those special release yeasts?

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 06:56 AM

is this one of those special release yeasts?

It appears to be.

#5 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 18 November 2014 - 07:11 AM

I have some in the fridge. 

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 07:11 AM

I have some in the fridge. 

Use it soon and report back ... thanks!  :D

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 07:21 AM

Does Wyeast still make what they used to call 1332 Northwest Ale? The description was similar... good for west coast craft beer styles. Is this 1217 a temporary strain? I have to say that I don't care for these for the same reason nettles mentioned... if you like it, you'll have to wait another year to get it. I keep waiting for Wyeast to make 2782 Staro-Prague lager yeast year-round.

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 07:34 AM

Does Wyeast still make what they used to call 1332 Northwest Ale? The description was similar... good for west coast craft beer styles. Is this 1217 a temporary strain? I have to say that I don't care for these for the same reason nettles mentioned... if you like it, you'll have to wait another year to get it. I keep waiting for Wyeast to make 2782 Staro-Prague lager yeast year-round.

They do still make that.  The attenuation numbers look low for me.  I guess it is part of the Private Collection.  When I saw it on Rite Brew it did not have the PC in front of the number so I did not realize that it was part of the group.

• Flocculation: high - Attenuation: 67-71%
  • Temperature Range: 65-75 F
  • Alcohol Tolerance: approximately 10% ABV

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 November 2014 - 01:22 PM

did you ever get to try the staro-prague yeast?

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 01:30 PM

did you ever get to try the staro-prague yeast?

Yes and I used it in a bunch of styles and really liked it. It reminded me a bit of 2124 but a little different. I realize that there are Czech Lager yeasts all over the place... 2124, 2278, 2000, 2001, 800, 802, etc. but that was a really nice yeast suitable for pilsners, helles, v/m/o, dunkels, etc. I'm also guilty of not paying attention to these temporary yeasts so 2782 probably came out temporarily a couple times without me seeing it. Sorry for the threadjack... I would like to hear of anyone using 1217 and how their beer came out. I am always looking for American ale yeasts and my trips into WLP090 and the Rogue Pacman worlds were not all that great. Cheers.

#11 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16606 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 01:32 PM

Yes and I used it in a bunch of styles and really liked it. It reminded me a bit of 2124 but a little different. I realize that there are Czech Lager yeasts all over the place... 2124, 2278, 2000, 2001, 800, 802, etc. but that was a really nice yeast suitable for pilsners, helles, v/m/o, dunkels, etc. I'm also guilty of not paying attention to these temporary yeasts so 2782 probably came out temporarily a couple times without me seeing it. Sorry for the threadjack... I would like to hear of anyone using 1217 and how their beer came out. I am always looking for American ale yeasts and my trips into WLP090 and the Rogue Pacman worlds were not all that great. Cheers.

Have you used 1450 Ken?

#12 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 November 2014 - 01:32 PM

I also really enjoyed it.  hopefully I'll get a chance to use it again.

#13 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 01:33 PM

Have you used 1450 Ken?

Please keep 1450 out of my thread :D

#14 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16606 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 01:37 PM

Please keep 1450 out of my thread :D

Come on man!! Give it another try!! All the cool kids are using it ya know.

#15 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 01:40 PM

Come on man!! Give it another try!! All the cool kids are using it ya know.

Three times was plenty

#16 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 November 2014 - 01:54 PM

Three times was plenty

once, twice, three times a denny...

#17 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 03:48 PM

I actually bought the Denny yeast when it was called 2450. I had it in the fridge and time passed without me using it. It got WAY past its date and I had to toss it. It was not intentional, it just happens sometimes. Also, there was a time when my bud at the LHBS would show me yeast that was past its date but clearly still usable and he would let me take it. I would walk out of there with 8-10 packs of Wyeast and some of them just never got used and 2450 was one of them.So what is it that everyone (except Drez) likes about 1450? What does Drez not like about it? When I used the Rogue Pacman (1764?), I got an unusual character in the beer. I know it sounds weird but I got a very faint hint of something that reminded me of Nyquil. Ack. It was not a fluke... I tasted it in 2 or 3 different batches. The WLP090 was not to my liking either. I got a faint Belgian-like thing from it. Some would say that's not a flaw but it is to me. I am torn about this because I like to try new ingredients but I really dislike making a good batch of beer that would otherwise be excellent except for a wrong yeast choice.

#18 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 04:45 PM

I have had attenuation issues with it. Tried to get it to work for me and it just did not do we parted ways.

#19 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 05:04 PM

I have had attenuation issues with it. Tried to get it to work for me and it just did not do we parted ways.

It left you with high FG beers? Underattenuated? Huh. This is one of the reasons why people like to stick to the same yeast strains. Switching over to a new (to you) yeast and expecting to know all of its behavior issues is not for the faint-of-heart. When you keep using the same yeast(s), there is a trade off... you know what to expect and you generally don't get surprised (which can lead to bad batches of beer) but you don't experiment with new strains and you may never find that strain that you really like.

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 November 2014 - 05:08 PM

my last few batches of RIPA I saw 76% and 79% and 81% attenuation.

waldo lake amber was 77%.

community brew was 80%.

golden rye 78%

golden rye pale ale 86%

pale ale 75%

I like the yeast.  It doesn't attenuate as much as 1056 so you just have to take that into account when you formulate the recipe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users