Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 19 November 2014 - 06:32 AM

Hey Gents, another age old question:

How much of a pack of Knox do you add per 5 gallons and in what volume of water?

Thanks,

Mike

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 06:47 AM

Some info here:

https://www.brews-br...latin-question/

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 06:49 AM

I have only used the stuff I get at the LHBS but I would guess that it's maybe between ½ cup and a cup of water and about 1 tbsp of gel? You can't really overdo it, IME so don't sweat the details. I take a glass or plastic bowl with a fitted lid and just get some amount of water in there (a cup seems reasonable) and just pour some gel granules in there until I think it looks right. I do not measure either. Shake that up a few times and let it "bloom". The water should be cold. Eventually I pout that into a small pot and heat it slowly on the stove until you can no longer see the granules. Take it off the heat, cover it and let it cool and then pour that into whatever vessel you're sending it to. Cheers.

#4 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 06:58 AM

Perfect.  Just wanted to get a good read on what my Brothers do.  Mine is typical. 

#5 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 07:24 AM

I have done well with gel using as little as 1/2t. in about 1/3c. of water. I add it to a keg already chilled to 33-34F for a couple of days. I haven't found it to strip any flavor from malty styles. At that level it removed all haze from a dry hop but took all the dry hop character (and then some) out of the beer.

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 07:31 AM

Oh yeah and ... Biofine Clear :)

#7 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 08:29 AM

I have done well with gel using as little as 1/2t. in about 1/3c. of water. I add it to a keg already chilled to 33-34F for a couple of days. I haven't found it to strip any flavor from malty styles. At that level it removed all haze from a dry hop but took all the dry hop character (and then some) out of the beer.

See, this has me curious. Others say gel will not inhibit hop flavor. Hmmmm...Also, have you ever had a stuck issue with adding to the keg? I did that one time and it clogged me up sumpin good.

Edited by Steppedonapoptop, 19 November 2014 - 08:30 AM.

#8 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 08:44 AM

Never had it stick in the keg but as you see I don't use much. I have trouble seeing how it could clog the keg regardless of volume though. Anyhow, I have used it at least 2 or 3 times on hoppy beers and to my palate the effects are immediate. You will pour off a pint or so of yeasty/cloudy beer after about 24hrs. The loss of hop character is noticeable right away. The beer doesn't taste the same after that. It doesn't impart any flavor, just takes some away.

#9 Corbin

Corbin

Comptroller of Annoying-assed Threads That Go Too Freaking Long

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10666 posts
  • LocationSt. louis, Mo.

Posted 19 November 2014 - 08:46 AM

I recently started using gelatin for my last three batches. WOW what a difference it makes! I use a teaspoon of gel in 2/3 cup of water.

#10 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 09:29 AM

1.2 grams per 1/2 cup in 5 gallons.

#11 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 19 November 2014 - 09:56 AM

Never had it stick in the keg but as you see I don't use much. I have trouble seeing how it could clog the keg regardless of volume though. Anyhow, I have used it at least 2 or 3 times on hoppy beers and to my palate the effects are immediate. You will pour off a pint or so of yeasty/cloudy beer after about 24hrs. The loss of hop character is noticeable right away. The beer doesn't taste the same after that. It doesn't impart any flavor, just takes some away.

Well, we all know Ken doesn't brew hoppy homebrews so doesn't ever have to worry about gel stripping out hop flavor.... :P

But I can relate to my hop profiles being subdued by adding gel in the secondary/keg.  Hence the reason I only add gel to my beers where I'm not really looking for the hops to be the star of the show.  

I dissolve a whole packet of Knox in 2/3 cup of warm water, dump in keg full of cold homebrew, rock keg to mix, and enjoy 48 hours later.

#12 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 02:35 PM

I'm gel'in for 24 hours. How long is enough?

#13 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 03:07 PM

I'm gel'in for 24 hours. How long is enough?

Should be clear after 24-48. You will need to pull dirty pint or two off the bottom of the keg.

#14 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 03:21 PM

Should be clear after 24-48. You will need to pull dirty pint or two off the bottom of the keg.

The cruddier the first pint, the better the gel worked, IMO. The first pint is usually a little yeasty anyway but when you gel, you should see some seriously dirty stuff on the first pull. I racked a Mexican Cerveza to a keg first thing this morning and I plan to start force carbing it around 10pm tonight. Since it's a very pale beer, I think I might hit it with gel solution first and then start carbing it.

#15 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 23 November 2014 - 03:21 PM

This.  First pint will be a dumper, but should clear quickly after that. 

#16 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 05:39 PM

Cool. Thanks fellas

#17 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 05:52 PM

Pictures, or you did it wrong. :)

#18 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:50 PM

Oh yeah and ... Biofine Clear :)

What is your process for Biofine? Notice any loss of hop flavor with it?

#19 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 06:17 AM

Pictures are about a couple weeks out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users