13 replies to this topic

#1 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 11:17 AM

Having an unprecedented 4 weeks off of work coming up shortly and plan on filling the bar and fermentation chamber to the gills. Plans are dort, german pils, vienna lager, APA, Brown, Irish dry stout, session wheat, Red ale, probably an IPA. Not sure what else to throw in there though, The lady is asking for an Alt which may sub out for the red, Any other ideas for something to add in some variety?

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 11:25 AM

Nice list.  Maybe a Kolsch?

Oh and a plug for a nice IPA recipe www.brews-bros.xyz/topic/88961-holiday-hug-ipa-recipe/

#3 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 11:30 AM

Dayum, look at that hop schedule! Didn't see an OG to target, am I missing it in there?

ETA: and I do love me some kolsch...

Edited by Hingle McCringleberry, 19 November 2014 - 11:31 AM.

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 November 2014 - 12:34 PM

I'd say the kolsch should replace the wheat if you are subbing it out for something.

how about an IPL since you'll be rocking some lager yeast anyway?

#5 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 12:42 PM

I'd say the kolsch should replace the wheat if you are subbing it out for something.

how about an IPL since you'll be rocking some lager yeast anyway?

That thought crossed my mind, but isn't a hoppy pilsner basically that? I was basically thinking something like Pivo pils from firestone but with Santiam instead of finished with Saphir.

Edited by Hingle McCringleberry, 19 November 2014 - 12:42 PM.

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 November 2014 - 01:48 PM

That thought crossed my mind, but isn't a hoppy pilsner basically that? I was basically thinking something like Pivo pils from firestone but with Santiam instead of finished with Saphir.

I'd say an IPL is hoppier and would use more typical IPA type hops and not hops that are more "noble".

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 02:49 PM

I'm doing something similar and I currently have 1056, White Labs 01, 2124 and 2206 running in primary. I also have 2112 (making a west coast lager soon) and I stopped and picked up 2308 on the way home from work today. I have many, many beers planned including a bunch of APAs, Vienna, Dunkel, Helles, Marzen, Mexican Dark Lager, pilsner and some others. BREW ON BABY!

#8 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 19 November 2014 - 03:40 PM

This must've been the day for on-the-way-home-from-work stop-off's at the LHBS.  :lol:

I picked up a sack of Weyermann Pils, a pound of Mosaic pellet hops (11.6% AA), and the specialty grains for the following batches:

- Moving Day IPA

- 2-Hearted Ale clone

- German pils

- Classical American pils

- English Bitter (on teh nitro)

- Imperial Oatmeal Stout (also on teh nitro)

these are planned in addition to:

- Nosferatu Imperial Red/Stock Ale clone

- English IPA

Let's get brewing, gents! :frank:

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 04:11 PM

This must've been the day for on-the-way-home-from-work stop-off's at the LHBS.  :lol: I picked up a sack of Weyermann Pils, a pound of Mosaic pellet hops (11.6% AA), and the specialty grains for the following batches: - Moving Day IPA- 2-Hearted Ale clone- German pils- Classical American pils- English Bitter (on teh nitro)- Imperial Oatmeal Stout (also on teh nitro) these are planned in addition to: - Nosferatu Imperial Red/Stock Ale clone- English IPA Let's get brewing, gents! :frank:

NICE! What is it about this time of year that makes people want to brew? Cold ground water? I dunno but just driving up to the LHBS gave me a little chubby today! :D

#10 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 19 November 2014 - 04:34 PM

Here in Cincy, the groundwater is cooling off fast, so that makes brewing more enjoyable for me.

I use a sump pump, attached to my immersion chiller, for cooling.  In winter, I can chill from boiling to pitching temp super quick.  In the summer, though, even with this setup, chilling can take a good 30 min+, even when recirc'ing ice water instead of tap water.

When i was at my LHBS, i think i got a contact-high from the smell of malt extract, grains, and hops in the air.  That place smells nice.  :D

#11 bigdaddyale

bigdaddyale

Linkbot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9528 posts
  • LocationCurrent: New Homoco, Texas. Past : Lugner Island

Posted 19 November 2014 - 04:38 PM

Here in Cincy, the groundwater is cooling off fast, so that makes brewing more enjoyable for me.

I use a sump pump, attached to my immersion chiller, for cooling.  In winter, I can chill from boiling to pitching temp super quick.  In the summer, though, even with this setup, chilling can take a good 30 min+, even when recirc'ing ice water instead of tap water.

When i was at my LHBS, i think i got a contact-high from the smell of malt extract, grains, and hops in the air.  That place smells nice.  :D

Listermans?

#12 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 19 November 2014 - 06:28 PM

Listermans?

Yup, that's the place.  I need to try their new taproom sometime soon.

I don't get down there that often (I work from home most of the time), but it's a good local brew shop. 

#13 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 08:31 PM

Dayum, look at that hop schedule! Didn't see an OG to target, am I missing it in there?ETA: and I do love me some kolsch...

Sorry, 1.064-1.066 for the OG.

#14 bigdaddyale

bigdaddyale

Linkbot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9528 posts
  • LocationCurrent: New Homoco, Texas. Past : Lugner Island

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:03 PM

Yup, that's the place.  I need to try their new taproom sometime soon.

I don't get down there that often (I work from home most of the time), but it's a good local brew shop. 

Dan was one of the first people I talked to on the internet news groups about brewing.It's been a long time but he was in the process of opening a brewery and was doing some experiments with fermenting in plastic bags

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users