10 replies to this topic

#1 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 09:41 AM

I see these are now available with out buying the Boilermaker kettle.  Look cool, and I can see it being a nice upgrade from a 3 piece valve.  Pretty pricey though.

#2 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16490 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 21 November 2014 - 09:51 AM

Kal has a long detailed explanation of why this valve should not be used. Makes sense to me. Why would you want linear flow from your Kettle? Flow is always controlled on the output of the pump.  You never want to starve your pump, grant, or any other downstream appliance. His explanations start after the pics of the linear flow valve.

https://www.theelect...pic.php?t=27425

Edited by BlKtRe, 21 November 2014 - 09:51 AM.

#3 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:30 AM

You could use that valve after the pump. You could use it on the BK and use it to control flow during sparging.

#4 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16490 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:39 AM

You could use that valve after the pump. You could use it on the BK and use it to control flow during sparging.

Why cant you use your current ball valves on any of your vessels or pumps to control flow like we have been doing for years? 

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:40 AM

Kal has a long detailed explanation of why this valve should not be used. Makes sense to me. Why would you want linear flow from your Kettle? Flow is always controlled on the output of the pump.  You never want to starve your pump, grant, or any other downstream appliance. His explanations start after the pics of the linear flow valve.

https://www.theelect...pic.php?t=27425

Had not seen that.  I like it just from the cleaning perspective that is why I compared it to a 3-piece valve.

Edited by drez77, 21 November 2014 - 10:42 AM.

#6 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:47 AM

I know I've not been super active, but don't you mean the HLT???

I actually use the pump for sparging as well, so that wouldn't work for me.  I could only see using this after the CFC that is hooked up to the pump.

#7 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:49 AM

Why cant you use your current ball valves on any of your vessels or pumps to control flow like we have been doing for years? 

Well maybe its just me but I have a hard time dialing in the right/same flow every time. My valves seem really touchy. I know a guy in my club had the same problem and installed this valve inline somewhere just to use during sparging.

I know I've not been super active, but don't you mean the HLT???

I actually use the pump for sparging as well, so that wouldn't work for me.  I could only see using this after the CFC that is hooked up to the pump.

No I meant BK. I use a pump and pump out of the MLT into the bottom of the BK during sparge.

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 11:05 AM

Well maybe its just me but I have a hard time dialing in the right/same flow every time. My valves seem really touchy. I know a guy in my club had the same problem and installed this valve inline somewhere just to use during sparging.

Expensive little valve!

#9 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 21 November 2014 - 01:14 PM

That's a nice little valve.

#10 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 21 November 2014 - 02:24 PM

No I meant BK. I use a pump and pump out of the MLT into the bottom of the BK during sparge.

Got it.  Now, I guess I would have had said that it was coming out of the MLT.  Makes more sense now because you are putting it after the pump.  I don't really see any issues having it anywhere after the pump.  Before... I agree with Blktre.  

#11 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 21 November 2014 - 02:30 PM

FWIW... I've thought about doing that, bt I need a second pump.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users