#1 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 24 November 2014 - 09:00 AM

So I brewed up some more Kolsch a few weeks ago for my wedding to give out as favors. Last time I brewed it I fermented at 55 degrees and did my usual fast ferment sequence raising the temp as it goes along to speed things up and also ensure full attenuation. Same process used with this one for the wedding but I fermented at 58 instead of 55.

At 55 most of the esters were gone. That's one of the things I really love about Kolsch is that beautifully subtle pear ester that 2565 throws off. It's a fantastic tasty easy drinking beer. So I went to 58 this time. Took a hydrometer reading, finished about 1 point lower, same starting gravity, but the pear ester is there. The sample tastes great. If anything I think the ester might be a bit too strong, but the beer hasn't completely cleared yet, so we'll see if that's from yeast in suspension or not. Only difference was that I cut the carapils in the grain bill by 30%. Seemed to make a difference in finishing. Might have a crisper body too.

This one will win some more awards for sure. Needs some more lagering time though for now. Each couple at my wedding is getting a 4 pack of Kosch. I have to bottle 120 bottles next weekend then TPW got wedding labels made that we have to add.

I've brewed this beer 4 times now this year. It's always a hit. I love having it on tap at the FFIL's house and it's a perfect give away beer that ANY beer drinker will go "woah" over.

Cheers!

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53918 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 10:42 AM

Yep, I like Kolsch and made two this year. One was with Kolsch Malt and the other was with Pilsner and more authentic. I'm going to guess that my primary temps were "mid-to-upper 50s" and IIRC, 2565 has a low limit of 58° (or am I thinking of 1007 or 2112?). I learned some things with those batches of kolsch and plan to have some ready for next spring & summer. Good luck with the bottling and labeling!

#3 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 24 November 2014 - 10:49 AM

Yep, I like Kolsch and made two this year. One was with Kolsch Malt and the other was with Pilsner and more authentic. I'm going to guess that my primary temps were "mid-to-upper 50s" and IIRC, 2565 has a low limit of 58° (or am I thinking of 1007 or 2112?). I learned some things with those batches of kolsch and plan to have some ready for next spring & summer. Good luck with the bottling and labeling!

Thanks.

WYeast says it ferments well at 55-60. I think I'll try 57 next time to see if I get a difference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users