40 replies to this topic

#21 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16638 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 03:30 PM

Dry bean is also how I did my coffee oatmeal stout. Highly recommended.

#22 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64056 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 25 November 2015 - 05:51 PM

I like this dry beaning of which you speak...

ETA:  Has anyone tried to cold brew  coffee and add it after fermentation and compared it to direct steeping?  I wonder if the low acidity of beer helps or hurts extraction of the coffee compounds compared to straight water

I love coffee beer, I'm not sure how I've never brewed one to this point.

Edited by JKor, 25 November 2015 - 06:12 PM.

#23 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16638 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 07:02 PM

ETA: Has anyone tried to cold brew coffee and add it after fermentation and compared it to direct steeping? I wonder if the low acidity of beer helps or hurts extraction of the coffee compounds compared to straight water

I took 2 growlers of oatmeal coffee out of town for the weekend. The beer was originally cold steeped/dry beaned but a bit of the coffee was starting to fade. I put 3 beans in each growler for 2 days and I have to say that little bit was actually pretty effective at giving the beer a quick boost to the coffee flavor. Do the dry bean, the flavor is great and the process could not be easier.

Edited by neddles, 25 November 2015 - 07:02 PM.

#24 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 November 2015 - 06:12 AM

ETA:  Has anyone tried to cold brew  coffee and add it after fermentation and compared it to direct steeping?  I wonder if the low acidity of beer helps or hurts extraction of the coffee compounds compared to straight water

it does not take much.  I've used 3-4 oz of dark coffee (espesso or french roast whole beans) in 5 gallons.  in less than a week the coffee flavor/aroma was strong.  it seems to me that extraction is not an issue.

#25 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64056 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 26 November 2015 - 07:23 AM

it does not take much.  I've used 3-4 oz of dark coffee (espesso or french roast whole beans) in 5 gallons.  in less than a week the coffee flavor/aroma was strong.  it seems to me that extraction is not an issue.

Sure, I'm just thinking about 'the next level'.  Does a cold water extraction improve something.  Does the higher volume of the keg over extract compared to a small pitcher?  How does total steep time affect any potential off flavors?  Maybe nothing significant, but you never know.

I have also been wondering about brewing up some espresso and adding it to a beer.  You get a very distinct flavor from espresso extraction compared to steeping.  TBH, I did this a couple of years ago with an RIS in a growler but I really don't remember how it came out.  :covreyes:

#26 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 November 2015 - 07:40 AM

no idea!  I basically googled and found people that had tried different things.  the crowd sourced answer seemed to be dry beaning.  the general consensus was that you get a lot of aroma without overwhelming bitterness or harshness.  since I was mostly interested in aroma this seemed like the right answer for me.

with your small batches you are in a good position to quickly try a few different methods though.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 26 November 2015 - 08:09 AM.

#27 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 29 November 2015 - 07:17 AM

Brewed a Dry Stout about 10 days ago here. Going out later to get some coffee beans to dry bean it for perhaps a week, rough grinding the beans. Great insight here as well, sounds like a good beer!!

#28 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 November 2015 - 07:56 AM

the couple of times I have done it I did not need to go for a week.

whole beans both times.  didn't grind them up at all.  5 gallon batches.

the first time was 3 oz of espresso (not sure of brand now, a friend gave me some high end stuff) and I dry beaned for about 2.5 days at serving temps in the keg.

the second time was 4 oz of peets french roast and I did it for just under 2 days (same conditions as the first time).

both times I found the coffee aroma to be pretty overwhelming initially and then it settled down to something that I liked a few days after pulling the beans.

#29 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 29 November 2015 - 09:15 AM

the couple of times I have done it I did not need to go for a week.

whole beans both times.  didn't grind them up at all.  5 gallon batches.

the first time was 3 oz of espresso (not sure of brand now, a friend gave me some high end stuff) and I dry beaned for about 2.5 days at serving temps in the keg.

the second time was 4 oz of peets french roast and I did it for just under 2 days (same conditions as the first time).

both times I found the coffee aroma to be pretty overwhelming initially and then it settled down to something that I liked a few days after pulling the beans.

I'll just toss the beans in there then from your advice!! 

#30 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 November 2015 - 12:07 PM

I def recommend tasting as you dry bean.  also to go a little beyond what you want since the flavor will have an initial quick drop off but then it will stay somewhat constant.

#31 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64056 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 30 November 2015 - 09:07 AM

The coffee flavor and aroma is probably all extracted within a few hours.  At least the stuff you *want* be extract.  Cold brewed coffee is done in 12-24 hours.  It shouldn't be any different for dry beaning.

#32 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64056 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 30 November 2015 - 09:11 AM

Ooooh, Idea!  A Coffee Randall!  :)

#33 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 November 2015 - 09:15 AM

The coffee flavor and aroma is probably all extracted within a few hours.  At least the stuff you *want* be extract.  Cold brewed coffee is done in 12-24 hours.  It shouldn't be any different for dry beaning.

how about if you don't crack the beans?

it would likely work great.  super fresh coffee flavor!

#34 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64056 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 30 November 2015 - 09:32 AM

how about if you don't crack the beans?

I'm sure that would be longer.  Not sure how long.

#35 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 10:23 AM

I have thought about doing that with a porter.  Just never got to it.  I need to try some beer and beans in a aeropress and see how that works for a single serving.

#36 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 November 2015 - 10:31 AM

I have thought about doing that with a porter.  Just never got to it.  I need to try some beer and beans in a aeropress and see how that works for a single serving.

foam!

#37 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 10:45 AM

foam!

Maybe .. but I have seen it done on The Bruery's website for blending and what not.  Worth a try.

#38 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 30 November 2015 - 10:45 AM

Done it and works really well.

#39 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 05 December 2015 - 07:32 AM

So how much coffee should I try for 10 gallons? I want a strong coffee flavor and aroma. Last year I made some strong cold press with 4oz. ground beans and dumped that into a 5gal batch. Was happy with those results. So thinking try 8oz? Also I was planning on dry beaning while cold. Going to start cold crash today and add coffee tomorrow.

#40 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 December 2015 - 07:37 AM

So how much coffee should I try for 10 gallons? I want a strong coffee flavor and aroma. Last year I made some strong cold press with 4oz. ground beans and dumped that into a 5gal batch. Was happy with those results. So thinking try 8oz? Also I was planning on dry beaning while cold. Going to start cold crash today and add coffee tomorrow.

I'd say 6-8oz if it's something pretty strong (very dark roasted beans).  you might be able to up that slightly for a medium roast but that's just a guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users