#1 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 24 November 2014 - 07:48 PM

So for a big IPA say in the range of 1.085 OG beer what would your typical 60 min addition be? Basically I'm working on a recipe that I only plan on adding whirlpool hop additions and dry-hop. So I'm trying to figure out what to add at 60. I was thinking along the lines of 60IBU, but that's why I'm asking.

#2 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 24 November 2014 - 07:53 PM

That depends what kind of IPA it is. Are you looking for more flavor & aroma/balanced bitterness or big bitterness? Fewer IBU's at 60 and more towards the end means more flavor and aroma for the same IBU's. Means lots more hops too.

I think most of mine are in the 35-50 range at 60 min. I like more flavor and aroma contributions. A 1.085 beer could stand to go to the 100IBU range and still have balance, so do what you must.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 07:53 PM

Depending on the hop between 60 and 80.

#4 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 08:12 PM

Depending on the hop between 60 and 80.

Yeah this. Although I am not convinced I would notice all that much of a difference between 60 and 80 IBU. My guess is that it would noticeable but subtle, at least to me. Apollo has been my goto at that level. Helps that my current stock of Apollo is 17.5-18.5% AA.

I think you will like this schedule of hopping. I sure do. A good charge of it @60 and 4-6oz in the whirlpool plus another 4-6oz dry has produced profound hop character. The one I am drinking now got almost 6oz. in the whirlpool and over 5oz. dry and you can smell it from 6 ft. away. It's all beautiful hop character and a solid but not bracing 63 IBU to back it up.

Edited by nettles, 24 November 2014 - 08:13 PM.

#5 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 24 November 2014 - 09:03 PM

Cool, about what I was thinking. I had Apollo in mind for this actually. But was also thinking Magnum as I have a bunch of it. I guess at least with Apollo I can use less hops with the high AA. As there will be a lot in the pot already.Nettles,I have done this type of schedule before and liked it a lot. The amounts you listed is right about what I have right now for this recipe I am putting together. I am trying to use up a bunch of loose end hops I have before the new batch arrives.

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 09:10 PM

Just thought I'd stop in here and say HI! :D

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 05:29 AM

Just thought I'd stop in here and say HI! :D

:rolf: I was wondering what Ken was doing in an IBU thread

Cool, about what I was thinking. I had Apollo in mind for this actually. But was also thinking Magnum as I have a bunch of it. I guess at least with Apollo I can use less hops with the high AA. As there will be a lot in the pot already.Nettles,I have done this type of schedule before and liked it a lot. The amounts you listed is right about what I have right now for this recipe I am putting together. I am trying to use up a bunch of loose end hops I have before the new batch arrives.

Apollo would be my go to and I would be on the upper end of the range I posted.

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:06 AM

:rolf: I was wondering what Ken was doing in an IBU thread

If I had anything even remotely relevant to share, it would be that even on what I call "hoppy" APAs, I have modest bittering charges. Someone in the COLUMBUS thread mentioned using an ounce of Columbus at 60. My Columbus hops at the moment are 15.6% which would translate to 63 IBUs if I used an ounce at 60... I would never make something that "bitter". I might make something "hoppy" but the 60 would be more in the 7 AAUs (28-30 IBUs) range.

Edited by KenLenard, 25 November 2014 - 06:06 AM.

#9 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25477 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 26 November 2014 - 08:19 PM

I have had good experience with loading up on magnum 60 minute additions. Counters the sweetness without overpowering bitterness. What ever you do later, the magnum will let them shine through.

#10 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 12:24 PM

For me about 15. The rest all 15 and later.

#11 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 November 2014 - 05:30 PM

If I had anything even remotely relevant to share, it would be that even on what I call "hoppy" APAs, I have modest bittering charges. Someone in the COLUMBUS thread mentioned using an ounce of Columbus at 60. My Columbus hops at the moment are 15.6% which would translate to 63 IBUs if I used an ounce at 60... I would never make something that "bitter". I might make something "hoppy" but the 60 would be more in the 7 AAUs (28-30 IBUs) range.

I think if you have the malt to back it up it wouldn't be bitter at all. I know most of your beers are more moderate gravity but if you ever made a really big DIPA you'd see why 60 or more IBUs is necessary if you don't want the beer to taste sweet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users