Photo
- - - - -

If you were opening a brewery/tasting room...

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 26 November 2014 - 08:29 AM

What would happen if after a couple of years (thank your lucky stars!) you found out that the 4 or 5 best-selling beers you made were the ones you absolutely hated to make or just disliked because they were just not your type of beer? In the end, it's not about preference or your opinion as much as it is about keeping the doors open. I can see DREZ now... Yeah, I don't know what to tell you... the biggest sellers are the peanut-butter porter, the salsa-spiked cerveza, the brussel-sprout blonde and the rutabaga red! :covreyes:

You'd still be making your living by brewing beer which would be pretty cool.

#22 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 08:32 AM

What would happen if after a couple of years (thank your lucky stars!) you found out that the 4 or 5 best-selling beers you made were the ones you absolutely hated to make or just disliked because they were just not your type of beer? In the end, it's not about preference or your opinion as much as it is about keeping the doors open. I can see DREZ now... Yeah, I don't know what to tell you... the biggest sellers are the peanut-butter porter, the salsa-spiked cerveza, the brussel-sprout blonde and the rutabaga red! :covreyes:

If I am in it to make money and profit then I would brew whatever brings the money in.   This once again goes back to my question/statment before about what kind of place it is, for the regular Joe or for the beer geeks.  I think the tap list would be very different depending on what you choose.

#23 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 26 November 2014 - 08:32 AM

I threw up in my mouth a little

#24 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 08:33 AM

I threw up in my mouth a little

is that a new beer?  What style?

#25 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 08:38 AM

is that a new beer?  What style?

Sounds acidic. :P

#26 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 26 November 2014 - 03:25 PM

It's an easy question to answer, put your CONSISTENT best beers forward first no matter what they are. You're a brewery, not a brew pub. Do what you do best. No compromises. As you grow do test batches and add to the line up.

Edit: I think that when you are consistent and brew a really good beer, no matter the style, you'll sell it. These smaller breweries that have the standard IPA, APA, Stout, ect aren't doing themselves any favors unless those styles are what they do REALLY well. You need to stand out among the other 100 odd breweries. Make those one or two beers that are your best and don't compromise for tastes.

Edited by SchwanzBrewer, 26 November 2014 - 03:39 PM.

#27 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14725 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 28 November 2014 - 07:09 AM

I think that brings up the questions.  Who are you trying to please?  If it is the masses then the lineup will be much different than the beer "geeks."

I think you have to offer something for both if you want to stand much of a chance of being successful.

Also, I don't think you get to pick what your flagship will be. Seems like I hear all the time about breweries who were surprised by what really took off.

Finally, a lot of you are saying APA. To me, that style seems to be pretty dead in the brewpub scene. Seems like most places to do something like a light/blonde/kolsch/wheat and then an IPA. 

#28 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 28 November 2014 - 02:27 PM

Also, I don't think you get to pick what your flagship will be. Seems like I hear all the time about breweries who were surprised by what really took off.

That is Correct. A local brewery by me had a great IPA and drew in a lot of crowds. Now they don't carry it very often, and the flagship beer is a Tasty Red Beer.

#29 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 28 November 2014 - 03:59 PM

You fellas crack me up

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users