Photo
- - - - -

Brew Brothers Brain Trust: Golden Bock...

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 09:05 PM

This beer was kegged, chilled and carbed over the weekend and I grabbed a cobra tap sample of it just now. It came out quite nicely. The heavy use of Munich and Vienna gives it a very nice body and a deep character which is accentuated by the 2206 yeast which has that same deep, rich character. The head is really thick and fluffy. The hops do their job to balance things. The color is just what I was shooting for and it's a smidge cloudy but that's understandable... it will sit in the on-deck fridge for another month or 2, probably. A shot...

Posted Image

#22 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16635 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 10:23 PM

Looks real nice.

#23 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 06:11 AM

Posted Image

Okay so this is the same beer and this is the one where the late addition of Tettnanger not only made it less of a bock and more of a pilsner but those were the hops I mentioned that seemed to be funky. A slight gym-sock, grassy, vegetal thing that certainly detracted from the otherwise nice beer. As discouraged as I am about that issue, I am very amped up about the possibility of this being a great recipe. The color, clarity and overall recipe are excellent but I would probably do a 60-minute addition with a 20 next time and hop it more like a bock should be hopped. There should be less hop flavor and no-to-little aroma. I think I will make this beer again with some 2308 that will be brought to life here shortly. I'll use the same grain bill but change up the hops. Cheers.

#24 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 24 April 2015 - 06:36 PM

Posted Image

Okay so this is the same beer and this is the one where the late addition of Tettnanger not only made it less of a bock and more of a pilsner but those were the hops I mentioned that seemed to be funky. A slight gym-sock, grassy, vegetal thing that certainly detracted from the otherwise nice beer. As discouraged as I am about that issue, I am very amped up about the possibility of this being a great recipe. The color, clarity and overall recipe are excellent but I would probably do a 60-minute addition with a 20 next time and hop it more like a bock should be hopped. There should be less hop flavor and no-to-little aroma. I think I will make this beer again with some 2308 that will be brought to life here shortly. I'll use the same grain bill but change up the hops. Cheers.

that's no shit beautiful Ken, outstanding looking beer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users