#21 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 01 December 2014 - 01:51 PM

Single 2 X 6 - Kilz and polyurethane.  Butt joints.  Both the kegerator and carbing freezer were done the same.  Not pretty but they're in unfinished basement.  

Sounds like a winner. I have 1/4 can of kilz in the basement. 

#22 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 03:35 PM

Stupid Q: Do people put collars on freezers so they can drill holes for the taps without futzing up the freezer or because there isn't enough room for kegs to stand (plus the lines, disconnects, etc) without extending the height of the freezer... or both? I used to have a small fridge with a single tower and then a double and then I went with shanks through the wall so I never got into the freezer setup.

Edited by KenLenard, 01 December 2014 - 03:35 PM.

#23 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 01 December 2014 - 04:20 PM

Stupid Q: Do people put collars on freezers so they can drill holes for the taps without futzing up the freezer or because there isn't enough room for kegs to stand (plus the lines, disconnects, etc) without extending the height of the freezer... or both? I used to have a small fridge with a single tower and then a double and then I went with shanks through the wall so I never got into the freezer setup.

No drilling through walls, tower mounted on the lid don't work well IMO and I can get two more kegs on the compressor hump.

#24 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 05:14 PM

No drilling through walls, tower mounted on the lid don't work well IMO and I can get two more kegs on the compressor hump.

Makes sense. Some fridges and freezers can be drilled through but if you're not sure what you're doing, it's not for the faint of heart. I would think you could drill through the door (like some do on a fridge) but if towers don't work on freezers... that's no good.

#25 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 01 December 2014 - 05:21 PM

Towers on chest freezers can be a problem. Putting it somewhere you can open it without the tower hitting a wall can be a pain. Or you have to reverse it, then getting kegs in and out can be tough.

#26 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 06:23 PM

Towers on chest freezers can be a problem. Putting it somewhere you can open it without the tower hitting a wall can be a pain. Or you have to reverse it, then getting kegs in and out can be tough.

It sounds like you have a nice, big freezer and I assume you're in good hands here. I have nothing to contribute but I would love to see pics when you're done. When I was at an intersection on what to do about "serving appliances", I already had one 4.4cf fridge (with a flat door liner) so I only needed to get another one (which I found for $75) and I could serve from 4 kegs so that's the route I took. Cheers.

#27 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 01 December 2014 - 09:32 PM

How is your back? You may want to build something to be able to get kegs in and out more easily 6 inches may not seem like much, but it is different when you are lifting it that high already. I built a winch system on caster to be able to get stuff in and out of the chest freezers.

Also, where is the freezer going to be located? If you are mounting faucets, consider mounting them on the side if you have the space for it in the room. Having the taps on the front can be a pain to get kegs and and out of the freezer, and it only takes one time for you to knock the tap handle, and have a gallon of beer on the floor.

#28 JMcG

JMcG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 07:39 AM

I put my keezer on casters so it rolls away from the wall for cleaning, changing kegs, etc. 

#29 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 08:05 PM

late to this thread, but northern brewer has the easiest video for keezer setup.  i did what they did, except i cut my collar boards so there weren't visible edges 

#30 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16606 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 08:31 PM

late to this thread, but northern brewer has the easiest video for keezer setup.  i did what they did, except i cut my collar boards so there weren't visible edges 

I've seen that and its a good video. I really need to build a keezer one of these days.

#31 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 10:51 PM

keep an eye on best buy.  they have daily deals on chest freezers regularly.

#32 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16606 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 03:45 PM

CWG, did you ever build this? Been looking lately for a good deal on a ~7CF freezer to do one of these.

#33 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:05 AM

It's still a work in progress. The 2x6 collar is on. The co2 tank is outside the freeze with a double regulator. 2 lines into the freezer, each feeding an 8 way manifold. I still need to paint it and think about insulation. No taps mounted yet. I'll probably put in 4. This thing is more for conditioning and storing than serving.

#34 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 04 June 2015 - 11:03 AM

Still needs some work:

Posted ImagePosted Image

#35 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 11:16 AM

Looks nice

#36 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 04 June 2015 - 11:20 AM

Thanks! Still need to get some Kilz paint on it, add some insulation and install a couple of taps. 

#37 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16606 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 01:59 PM

Yeah that looks nice. Is there one particular design/blueprint you followed or conglomeration of ideas found online?

What is kilz… a mold resistant paint?

#38 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 04 June 2015 - 02:31 PM

Just an amalgamation of things I've seen to meet my needs. I wanted all 15 kegs to have gas connections and at least two zones carbing/pushing beer.Yes, mildew resistant.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users