#1 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 December 2014 - 05:25 AM

tasted kind of bubblegum like.  also has zero head.  also was lacking in hop aroma.  made me appreciate drinking at home just a little bit more ;)

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 05:29 AM

tasted kind of bubblegum like.  also has zero head.  also was lacking in hop aroma.  made me appreciate drinking at home just a little bit more ;)

Have not had that one in a while, or any Harpoon beer really.  I did have a nice local IIPA last night that gave me some ideas for a recipe B)

#3 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 05 December 2014 - 06:06 AM

Was the problem the beer or the lines?

#4 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 05 December 2014 - 06:27 AM

I really don't care for that beer anyway

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 07:22 AM

Buy this man a beer(Just not a harpoon IPA)! 

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:05 AM

I had limited options.

Was the problem the beer or the lines?

not sure - I'm not sure how the lines could introduce bubblegum but I'm guessing this place isn't overly concerned with taking care of their lines either.

#7 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16608 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:35 AM

I had a few stinkers at (supposedly) non-crap bars when I was in NYC a few weeks ago. One was a cask scotch ale that was hyper estery and tasted like it had a low level of ethyl acetate. Maybe Im not aware of some historical interpretation or something but it was bad bad bad.Also had an amazing rum barrel aged dark saison at another place. Of course I didnt know how good it was until it warmed up they served the damn thing ice ####ing cold. Another pet peeve, but I digress.

Edited by nettles, 05 December 2014 - 08:38 AM.

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53911 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:46 AM

Bubble gum sounds like a descriptor of some of the Belgian yeasts and I'm sure that Harpoon IPA wouldn't use a yeast like that. Although... I was out with a buddy at a tasting and had an IPA that had Brett in it and neither my friend nor I were happy about it at all.

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:59 AM

Bubble gum sounds like a descriptor of some of the Belgian yeasts and I'm sure that Harpoon IPA wouldn't use a yeast like that. Although... I was out with a buddy at a tasting and had an IPA that had Brett in it and neither my friend nor I were happy about it at all.

MMMM .. making me thirsty :D

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53911 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 09:07 AM

MMMM .. making me thirsty :D

I mentioned this over HERE. I should have known it had something I wouldn't like by the name... WILD DEVIL. Everyone can enjoy their buggy, barnyardy, bubble-gummy, barrel-aged beers and I will be over here in the corner making... something else. :D

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 09:10 AM

I mentioned this over HERE. I should have known it had something I wouldn't like by the name... WILD DEVIL. Everyone can enjoy their buggy, barnyardy, bubble-gummy, barrel-aged beers and I will be over here in the corner making... something else. :D

Oh I remember that post!

The beauty of beer, something for everyone!

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53911 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 09:33 AM

Oh I remember that post! The beauty of beer, something for everyone!

True. And I mention this often... I can drink stout, IPA, IIPA, barrel-aged beers, etc. and enjoy them like anyone else (Belgians not so much) but I don't want 5 gallons of it because I won't drink it very quickly and then I'll tie up valuable real estate in one of my kegs.

#13 Murphy

Murphy

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 09:34 AM

never been impressed with Harpoon

#14 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 December 2014 - 09:51 AM

never been impressed with Harpoon

they are what I sometimes go for at bars where my other options are pretty much BMC and maybe a sam adams offering.

#15 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 09:54 AM

True. And I mention this often... I can drink stout, IPA, IIPA, barrel-aged beers, etc. and enjoy them like anyone else (Belgians not so much) but I don't want 5 gallons of it because I won't drink it very quickly and then I'll tie up valuable real estate in one of my kegs.

I have beers like that too.  Love a small amount of them but do not want a full keg.

#16 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10722 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 05 December 2014 - 11:03 AM

hmmm my tastebuds must be off. Harpoon IPA is a go to IPA for everyone here in my neighborhood. I switch to many others, but always come back to Harpoon.

#17 mabrungard

mabrungard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, IN

Posted 05 December 2014 - 11:50 AM

Harpoon has been an easy drinking IPA in my experience. I can't say that I've had a bad one. There are plenty of better IPAs, but this hasn't been a bad one to me.

#18 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53911 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 12:13 PM

Morty... was your beer on draft or in a bottle? Is this beer consistently bad wherever you have it? With others saying that it's a decent beer and if it was on draft, maybe it was just an old keg or a poorly-maintained draft system. If it was in a bottle it still could just be a bad bottle too. This is not a beer that I would seek out although I think I have had it before.

Edited by Village Taphouse, 05 December 2014 - 12:13 PM.

#19 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 December 2014 - 02:03 PM

it was on draft.  i've had it other places and as mentioned - it's fine - not spectacular but not bad either.

#20 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53911 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 02:21 PM

it was on draft.  i've had it other places and as mentioned - it's fine - not spectacular but not bad either.

I would say... stay away from that crap bar.I bowl in a league on Monday nights and they have Leinie products and Sam Adams products on draft and then a bunch of stuff in bottles. The draft lines are probably not maintained well and the turnover may not be that great. Occasionally you'll get a glass of what tastes like dishwater and there is absolutely no head at all. None. The last time my buddy and I ordered Sam Adams Oktoberfest, we brought them back and asked for bottles of Dos Equis Amber instead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users